4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aftermarket Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 08:47 PM

I was wondering if anyone new how much it would cost to get an electric sunroof installed in a 98 maxima gxe?

Thanks,
jordan
Old 06-12-2001, 09:00 PM

hmmm

i wouldn't recommend getting a hole cut in the top of the car, wheres theres just a big solid piece of metal. if you wanted a sunroof you should have gotten a the SE or GLE that came with one. my friend installed one on his SUV and when it rains, all this moisture goes in his sunroof because the seals aren't that secure and its hard after you cut a big hole in the top of the roof to keep it sealed air tight. jus my opinion.
Old 06-12-2001, 10:23 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

And my $0.02

Originally posted by NisMoMAX01SE
i wouldn't recommend getting a hole cut in the top of the car, wheres theres just a big solid piece of metal.
The average cost about $1000 +/- a couple hundred. I've had mine for about a year and no problems. I cant stress the importance of doing your homework when dealing with this. You can see the opening in my sig pic, it has auto closing and anti-jamming features. I've always wanted a electric roof and the day I had it installed I'm still grinning every time I hit the button and let the sun shine in. If you do decide to have one installed here are a few ?'s you can ask

Does it have a manual **** to close the roof incase the electrical goes out
Most after-market units does not have this feature, heck most OEM units doesn't have this feature also. My after-market unit did not come with this feature

What type of tool do you use to cut the roof
I "think" a diamond tip rotary blade is the best to use, it leaves no jagged edges

Will it have drainage for water run-off
Again this is a standard feature

And of course all the usuall warranty question
The roof that most installers use is a company base in Germany, I cant remember the name off hand.

Does it come with new headliner material
Again this is a standard practice but you want to make sure, also ask if they replace the material on the A, B and C pillars. Not too sure if the 4th gen has material over the pillars but the 3rd gen does and I got all my materials replaced.

Some have asked what is the most bang for your buck mod and to be honest, besides my suspension upgrade the roof in number two on my list. Even though it's no HP gains, it's still makes me smile after all the intake and exhaust mods have worn off.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:12 AM
ajaffee

Originally posted by Jordan
I was wondering if anyone new how much it would cost to get an electric sunroof installed in a 98 maxima gxe?

Thanks,
jordan
As suggested, do your research (on the roof brands and on the installer. Make sure the roof has a lifetime warranty -leakage included).
You generally have two types of electric roofs to choose from:
1. The kind that slides back on top of your car (spoiler style - above the roof)
2. The kind that retracts into the roof (usually requires losing an inch of two of headroom). Either one will require re-locating the dome light.

I had mine installed at Ziebart (I believe they are national) for $650. It is the kind that slides back above the roof (spoiler style). The kind that retracts into the roof would have been about $950. Mine doesn't have the auto-close features of the kind that retracts into the roof, but it works great for me and no leaks at all.

Old 06-13-2001, 10:19 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: And my $0.02

Originally posted by CandiMan

And of course all the usuall warranty question
The roof that most installers use is a company base in Germany, I cant remember the name off hand.
The brand name is Hollandia, formerly Vermuellen-Hollandia.

Had one on my 94 for 4 years now....no problems.

The installer is MAIN key to getting a good one.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:23 AM

how about a moonroof

Also, if I have a car that already has a sunroof (solid), how much would it cost to have it converted to a moonroof (see-thru glass). Does anyone know?