4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help! URGENT!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:05 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by BlackMaxdout
man, it's too bad I'm not down that way...I'd help you out. My gram lives in Frenchtown, NJ. I could be in Elizabeth in no time.

By they way...drilling the socket is going to be near impossible. It's hardened steel.
im gonna use some brakleen to degrease the socket, then use soe more jb weld if this batch doesnt work.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:05 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

bump........$50 for anyone to get this out for me.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
bump........$50 for anyone to get this out for me.
pay for my plane tick out of the sticks, and I'd gladly do it.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would look into finding out how to remove the spark plug tubes i doubt that you have to remove the head to remove the tube. You also might wanna try using dry ice to cool down the socket i might contract enought for it to come out. worth a try.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:35 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

bump...............
Old 03-23-2006, 01:12 PM

Can you still get an extension on it and turn it?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:31 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Maxima880
Can you still get an extension on it and turn it?
yes, but it just spins, and has LOTS of resistance.

Again, 50 bucks to anyone that takes it out for me.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 PM

wait... you get the extension on the socket ... and the socket spins? so it's not stuck completely?... the JB weld didn't work?!
Old 03-23-2006, 10:53 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by the_3d_man
wait... you get the extension on the socket ... and the socket spins? so it's not stuck completely?... the JB weld didn't work?!
the socket spins, but it's jammed in there, theres alot of resistance. I need a breaker bar to even attmept to move it.

the jb weld didnt work, but i think it was cause of all the oil in there, i tried again, but this time I cleaned the whole thing with alot of Brakleen to degrease the socket. i'm waiting for it to dry.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:50 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Let us know how it goes, again I'm willing to help on probably sunday If I can get over there.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:57 AM

If you can turn the socket, you can influence, (to some extent), which direction it drifts while it's moving. What I'm saying is that if you are able to apply slight upward pressure while it is being turned then the socket should move slightly upward while it is being turned. Keep in mind that upward movement will probably be only micrometers at a time and the upward pressure that you apply will have to be slight, (not so much that you pull the extension loose from the socket), because then you will have to push the extension back into the socket and thus push the socket back to the bottom to the chamber. The key would be patience, lots and lots of turning while applying slight upward pressure. Does the extension still "snap" into the socket where the little ball fits into the indention. If not because the indention is filled with glue, then maybe you could get a friction fit between the extension and socket by applying a thin layer of something to the end of the extension, like a thin layer of rubber from a bicycle intertube or something. At this point you could gently drive the extension into the socket without causing further difficulty I assume. I see your biggest obstacles as the fact that the socket is wedged and thus very hard to turn smoothly (maybe a little oil around the edges will help it turn freely) and the fact that gravity is working against you by causing the socket to drift deeper into the chamber when it is being turned. If I was in your shoes I'd spend a good 45 minutes or and hour just turning that socket and trying to get it to start drifting upward. At the least the socket should free up some from the turning. I have no clue if you can make this work, but I been racking my brain since you first posted the thread. I've been trying to think if some type of tool that has a long shaft with jaws that expand, something that would give you a deathgrip on that socket, but I just can recall anything like that. Anyways, good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:51 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Hmm I think part of the problem is that it won't turn right? If thats the case just get a huge metal pipe to put around the socket wrench. Use it for leverage to break the socket free.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:12 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Maxima880
If you can turn the socket, you can influence, (to some extent), which direction it drifts while it's moving. What I'm saying is that if you are able to apply slight upward pressure while it is being turned then the socket should move slightly upward while it is being turned. Keep in mind that upward movement will probably be only micrometers at a time and the upward pressure that you apply will have to be slight, (not so much that you pull the extension loose from the socket), because then you will have to push the extension back into the socket and thus push the socket back to the bottom to the chamber. The key would be patience, lots and lots of turning while applying slight upward pressure. Does the extension still "snap" into the socket where the little ball fits into the indention. If not because the indention is filled with glue, then maybe you could get a friction fit between the extension and socket by applying a thin layer of something to the end of the extension, like a thin layer of rubber from a bicycle intertube or something. At this point you could gently drive the extension into the socket without causing further difficulty I assume. I see your biggest obstacles as the fact that the socket is wedged and thus very hard to turn smoothly (maybe a little oil around the edges will help it turn freely) and the fact that gravity is working against you by causing the socket to drift deeper into the chamber when it is being turned. If I was in your shoes I'd spend a good 45 minutes or and hour just turning that socket and trying to get it to start drifting upward. At the least the socket should free up some from the turning. I have no clue if you can make this work, but I been racking my brain since you first posted the thread. I've been trying to think if some type of tool that has a long shaft with jaws that expand, something that would give you a deathgrip on that socket, but I just can recall anything like that. Anyways, good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

That's what ive been doing, but i'll try again.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe you can rent a blind hole bearing puller (also referred to as an expanding collet puller).

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=8057
Old 03-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by eng92
Maybe you can rent a blind hole bearing puller (also referred to as an expanding collet puller).

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=8057
thats one expensive tool
Old 03-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tcrow31
thats one expensive tool
That is why I said rent
Maybe the price on this one is more palatable

That is $CDN from the local Princess Auto

Old 03-24-2006, 12:27 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Thanks guys, for everyone who tried to help, but i fixed the problem, i used a regular extension, and turned it while i beat the ratchet upward slightly with a rubber mallet. it took me about 45 mins to get it out, and another 20 to get all the crap (broken sparkplug and debris) out of the spark plug tube. i was a bit nervous when I started the car, but now I have some NGK Iridiums, and the car feels a bit smoother than before.

Remember, NEVER put a deep socket 11/16" into your spark plug tube.

Now, I have a few things to ship out, and I havent gotten a chance, because my car has been out of commission for so long.

Akumachan, lhercules, 2 Da Max, and highoctane79, i'll ship out everything tomorrow morning, you have my word.