4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Putting in new carpet, how did you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 AM
Blown

Putting in new carpet, how did you do it?

I have my entire interior pulled out of my car. The old carpet is already out of the car. I got a new carpet from stockinteriors.com. The problem is that no holes are cut in it (i.e. around the shifter, console, etc). How did you guys cut your holes? I was thinking I would lay the old one on top of the new one and trace the holes then cut them out. This is assuming the carpets are the exact same size. Any suggestions? I am doing this tonight.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by cardana24
I have my entire interior pulled out of my car. The old carpet is already out of the car. I got a new carpet from stockinteriors.com. The problem is that no holes are cut in it (i.e. around the shifter, console, etc). How did you guys cut your holes? I was thinking I would lay the old one on top of the new one and trace the holes then cut them out. This is assuming the carpets are the exact same size. Any suggestions? I am doing this tonight.

Thats kinda what i did. That helps get the carpet in the car, once it was in place a used a razor and trimmed a bit more as need.
Old

New

These are the only pics I have, I should have taken some without the console in but I was in a hurry to get it in.
I also used 3m spray adhesive to keep the carpet in place once it was in.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:26 AM
Black Maxima

How much did that carpet run you? And how was the fit? That would be a nice thing to do to my car. It would really bring it back to life.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 AM

Flava...
Do you have any wrinkles anywhere ? After I installed mine(same color as yours from stock interiors) I have a few wrinkles like on the edges and ****...
Old 03-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Thats kinda what i did. That helps get the carpet in the car, once it was in place a used a razor and trimmed a bit more as need.
Old

New

These are the only pics I have, I should have taken some without the console in but I was in a hurry to get it in.
I also used 3m spray adhesive to keep the carpet in place once it was in.

yeah I wish you had a pic with the console out, thats the only area that worries me about cutting too much. I will probably go pick up a can of 3m spray glue before I start. I see that you got the same black astro turf carpet that I got

Also what did you do about the area by the sills? The factory carpet has clips that hook the carpet down by the sills. The new carpet does not have the clips. Did you just spray some glue down there? Is it holding up ok?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:52 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by s0ber
Flava...
Do you have any wrinkles anywhere ? After I installed mine(same color as yours from stock interiors) I have a few wrinkles like on the edges and ****...

The only place I have a couple of wrinkles is in the rear, where the hump seperates the passenger and drivers rear foot area. I need to go back and play with it some more.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:53 AM

The only place I have a couple of wrinkles is in the rear, where the hump seperates the passenger and drivers rear foot area. I need to go back and play with it some more.
Same place I have wrinkles, must be a fitment issue with the stockinteriors mold or something... I was thinking of stuffing it with a little more padding to kind of even it out, shrug.

Doesn't bother me tho.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Maxima Owner

just cut Xs i in the carpet where shifter and belts come through them trim lil by lil when needed.......there should be no way u cut to much by the console cause u really only need to cut a few little holes...jsut take ur time and be careful
Old 03-23-2006, 07:12 AM

Just got my carpet from stockinteriors too and planning on putting it in 2 weeks from now, since the old carpet is out I'm also running some rca cables for future sound system.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 AM

Carpets are only around $135 shipped.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:24 AM
Boosted Panda

yeah I wish you had a pic with the console out, thats the only area that worries me about cutting too much. I will probably go pick up a can of 3m spray glue before I start. I see that you got the same black astro turf carpet that I got

Also what did you do about the area by the sills? The factory carpet has clips that hook the carpet down by the sills. The new carpet does not have the clips. Did you just spray some glue down there? Is it holding up ok?

I basicly cut an open area out to fit around the shifter and console (yellow lines) and glued the edges down. i made sure to leave the carpet high enough to be covered by the console.

The areas where the door sills are i also glued down and used the sills to help hold it down as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Blown

cool man....how long did it take you to put the new one in? I am guessing it will take about 2 or so hours to get it right. I hope to have it all done tonight.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Boosted Panda

cool man....how long did it take you to put the new one in? I am guessing it will take about 2 or so hours to get it right. I hope to have it all done tonight.

I spent basicly the whole day doing it.
Removing the seats, console unbolting the seatbelts, and then ripping all the old carpet out.
Then putting in the new carpet, trimming and then gluing it down. Then the reinstall of all the items I had removed.
It takes some time.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Blown

I spent basicly the whole day doing it.
Removing the seats, console unbolting the seatbelts, and then ripping all the old carpet out.
Then putting in the new carpet, trimming and then gluing it down. Then the reinstall of all the itmes I had removed.
It takes some time.
Just putting the new carpet in? I was hoping to have it done tonight, but as long as I get it done by the end of this weekend I'll be fine. I already have all old carpet out of the car, I just need to put the new stuff back in, then put everything back in. This is part of me doing my interior, I have a set of black leather that I am putting back in the car and I have already done the door skins, and put in chrome door handles.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:40 AM

i was thinking about getting new carpet, but im not too fond of black asto turf...
Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 AM

How is the quality on these.... are they as soft as the factory carpet and as thick as it? Sounds like the fit isn't the greatest.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Boosted Panda

Just putting the new carpet in? I was hoping to have it done tonight, but as long as I get it done by the end of this weekend I'll be fine. I already have all old carpet out of the car, I just need to put the new stuff back in, then put everything back in. This is part of me doing my interior, I have a set of black leather that I am putting back in the car and I have already done the door skins, and put in chrome door handles.

Sounds like my setup. i already had the black 350z seats, i installed a black leather i30 rear and did the black leather door inerts and alread yhad the black leather boots from redline.

risingmist
i wouldnt call it astroturf, it is actual carpet.

Tim96I30t
The carpet is close to the OEM stuff. it is somewhat thick. It has padding on it in some areas like the OEM carpet does. The fitment really isnt that bad, considering its aftermarket. Aftermarket items never fit like OEM.
It is premolded, its just long in some areas.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by risingmist
i was thinking about getting new carpet, but im not too fond of black asto turf...
I was just kidding about the astro turf comment. It does however look like black astro turf while sitting on my pool table. Its brand new so its not as soft as the old carpet I took out. It does have padding in certian places, just not a thick as the factory carpet. I'll report back more once I work with it tonight.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:35 PM
I Broke OT

a fresh carpet would really help the interior. after 10 years, mine is beginning to show wear in certain spots and a few small stains. so you guys say that it is more or less like OEM? not too rough?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 PM

yea, i got my carpet from the same place, stockinteriors.com. they are nicely made, good quality for $135. it took me a day. like flavor said, just cut as needed, thats what i did. and yea, i have a few wrinkles too by the pass. rear door on mine,( i think i cut a little bit to much, never do that) just make sure its nice and snugg cause it sucks when you have to do work twice. btw, what color did you get?
Old 03-24-2006, 05:16 AM
Blown

well I worked on it lastnight, and of course its taking me longer than I thought. Last night I got the center stuff cut out and the carpet is laying in the car like it should. I still need to cut in the seat belt bolt holes, under seat vents, all the seat bolt holes, etc.) So far it looks like it is fitting nicely. I will be working on it again tonight. Hopefully I will have more time I can put into it tonight and get it done.

I got black, if you are asking me.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hi,

Where do you get door skins? Same palce as the carpet?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by katmandoes
Hi,

Where do you get door skins? Same palce as the carpet?
I bought them along with my set of leather seats. If you need full skins I would recomend going to a junk yard or checking car-part.com. Or check the classifieds here. If you just need the inserts on the door skins then I think ebay sells some of those, but I do not have any experience with them.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:05 AM

do it... .do it...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM
KaZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What color is closest to the stock Charcoal/Black leather interior matching carpet floormats? I've got a Green on Green Maxima (I call it Fern leather, its grey in the sunlight, green under other light), but I'm looking to replace the carpets and the seats in the near future with black, and was curious what matches stock Floormats best of their available colors?

Thanks,
Old 03-24-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by KaZ
What color is closest to the stock Charcoal/Black leather interior matching carpet floormats? I've got a Green on Green Maxima (I call it Fern leather, its grey in the sunlight, green under other light), but I'm looking to replace the carpets and the seats in the near future with black, and was curious what matches stock Floormats best of their available colors?

Thanks,

You can get carpet samples from them for free.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:21 PM
100% chingon

Good grief. $135 for carpet that's not even prepared!
I made new carpets throughout for my MGC and fitted them. Hardly cost anything. I found a carpet warehouse outlet and had a chat with the manager, he found for me an offcut of carpet, not really big enough to be able to sell easily for a house, but more than adequate for a car. This offcut was a really deep **** pile, luxury quality.
I used the horrible old carpets as templates and cut out all the shapes exactly using a Stanley knife.
Then came the part that cost me more than the carpet: I took the pieces to an industrial fabrics place and had all the edges sewn with vinyl piping. If you don't do that, it not only looks cheap but it frays.
Then I installed it. The car not only looked really unusual inside (it was an Axminster pattern) but it felt really cushy and the car was a lot quieter inside.
Any of you could do the same. In fact I have been thinking for a while about changing the carpet in my 96GLE. Something black on grey with a really, really deep pile. My original carpet is OK, but it's typical econocarpet.
Oh yeah, the original carpet is so staticky... you want to choose a quality wool, not synthetic.
Hmm... related to this thread is:
Replacing the decaying underhood insulation.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Boosted Panda

So what about the molded sections?If you used flat carpet how would you get it to lay flat over the curved sections on the floor board?

The carpet from Stockinteriors has a plastic like backing they used for the molding process to keep its shape.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Blown

ok, the carpet is in the car. It looks really good, but good lord you have to be patient. If I would have done it in one day, I am sure it would have taken the entire day. Cutting in all the stuff (bolt holes, etc.) takes a while. I now have black carpet, with black leather seats, black leather door inserts, and chrome door handles, and a home link visor. My car was not pre wired for homelink or power seats so all that stuff took even longer. I am happy with the results but you must be patient to do this job.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:48 PM
100% chingon

So what about the molded sections?If you used flat carpet how would you get it to lay flat over the curved sections on the floor board?

The carpet from Stockinteriors has a plastic like backing they used for the molding process to keep its shape.
It was a long time ago. It just worked well. The carpet was backed with foam rubber as I recall.