4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

engine hesitatiion while on the fly.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2000, 04:07 PM

whenever i drive my 96 on the highway and punch it the engine seems to cut out. It feel like maybe it could be a fuel injector or pump. Its like the engine cuts out and bucks a bit then keeps goin... even has a weird boggle when idleing at a light when warmed up!(this happens every 2min or so) Its definitly not the tranny cause i had that checked out. Any of you guys have any suggestions to what this might be?
Old 10-14-2000, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by ny96maxse
whenever i drive my 96 on the highway and punch it the engine seems to cut out. It feel like maybe it could be a fuel injector or pump. Its like the engine cuts out and bucks a bit then keeps goin... even has a weird boggle when idleing at a light when warmed up!(this happens every 2min or so) Its definitly not the tranny cause i had that checked out. Any of you guys have any suggestions to what this might be?
How many miles are on your Max? Perhaps the Oxygen Sensors are getting "tired".
Old 10-15-2000, 03:20 PM

i just hit 60k and did the complete tune up
PCV, Fuel Filter, NGK plugs, OIL/OIl filter and ALL 3 of the o2 sensors... I still dont know what it could be!
Old 10-15-2000, 05:07 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Clean the fuel injectors

nm
Old 10-15-2000, 05:25 PM

Check the fuel pressure

Install a T-fitting with a pressure gauge in the flexible rubber fuel
line just downstream of the fuel filter. You should see the pressure jump
to something like 30 psi within one second after turning the ignition to ON.
After turning the engine off the fuel system should hold pressure for a long
time, 24 hours or longer. If the residual pressure bleeds off in only two
or three hours that is a sign of a problem... bad fuel pump check valve,
injectors with an internal leak, or an external fuel leak.
Old 10-15-2000, 09:09 PM
Matt_P

That is exactly what I am experiencings - almost

except, I have a 5sp and a supercharger. The first buck is at about 3700rpms and another at 4300rpms. My fuel pressue gauge should be in at the end of this week.

Matt P.

Old 10-16-2000, 03:20 PM

Re: Check the fuel pressure

where can i get a fuel pressure tester?? Will this narrow it down to the pump or the injectors?? How can i narrow it down to either? i ran this STP Fuel Injectors cleaner and i kinda helped for like a week then the problem came back!!
Old 10-16-2000, 04:24 PM

how do you clean the injectors
Old 10-16-2000, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by adam714
how do you clean the injectors
Please replace your fuel filter. Buy three cans of
name-brand fuel injector cleaner and treat three successive tankfuls of
gasoline. I've had good results with this kind of "snake oil" remedy.
Old 10-16-2000, 08:30 PM

Re: Re: Check the fuel pressure

where can i get a fuel pressure tester??
You can buy a professional test kit such as K-D Tools #3467, list price $343. You can do what I did, which is cobble together a perfectly good equivalent. Buy:
- 4 brass hose barbs, 5/16" x 1/4" pipe thread
- 1 brass T fitting, 1/4" pipe thread
- 1 pressure gauge, 0 - 60 psi
- some teflon tape or pipe thread sealer compound
All of these items can be obtained at a home improvement store (Home Depot or equivalent). A plumbing supply shop should also have these items.
You will also need:
- a short length of 5/16" high-pressure fuel line
- 4 5/16" hose clamps
These items can be obtained at an auto parts store. Everything necessary should cost less than US$20.

I once installed this rig on a Stanza to help diagnose a driveability problem, and liked it so well that I left it in place as permanent instrumentation. Makes me wish that Nissan would install a fuel rail pressure gauge at the factory.

Will this narrow it down to the pump or the injectors ??
No, because I can't guarantee your problem is caused by the pump or the injectors. However, measuring fuel pressure is a routine and useful diagnostic procedure. You can pay the dealer to do it, or you can do it yourself.

i ran this STP Fuel Injectors cleaner and i kinda helped for like a week then the problem came back!!
That is a good indication that your problem is related to fuel rather than ignition or vacuum or sensors or the computer... I have had good luck with fuel injector cleaner but it may require treating three successive tankfuls of fuel to achieve lasting results.
Old 10-17-2000, 05:30 AM

Daniel...

do you recommend a particular brand of injector cleaner?
Old 10-17-2000, 06:20 AM

Could be the tranny...

Happens with my '99 auto too. It's called 'downshifting.' Just my first guess, k?

Not trying to be a smart-aleck or anything, but that will happen with almost any automatic car. When you drive a 5spd, and you're already traveling at hwy speed and need a little boost, whadda you do? You downshift to get the revs up, then upshift again so that you're higher in the gear/engine sweet spot. Auto trannys do it too, just a bit slower than you might be able to do yourself.
Old 10-17-2000, 07:49 AM

Re: Daniel...

Originally posted by adam714
do you recommend a particular brand of injector cleaner?
No. I recommend any name-brand product. I think they are all pretty much the same. The ingredient lists cite "petroleum distillates". That's not very informative, since jet fuel, gasoline, kerosene, motor oil, diesel fuel, and home heating oil could all be described the same way.
Old 10-17-2000, 08:52 AM

NOT the tranny...

Im gonna try the Techron Fuel Injector cleaner with 3 tanks of gas like Daniel B. Martin sugested (mechanic)!
Hey bro thanks for your input about my problem. A local shop that is a good friend of the family told me it would cost me $40 for them to slap on a fuel pressure gauge to test my lines. I will let you know the results wehn i get them.
lata!
MAXIMA MEET SATURDAY NOVEMBER 11TH
NATICK, MASS.
(check the general discussion page)
for more info.
Old 10-17-2000, 09:17 AM

Re: NOT the tranny...

... A local shop that is a good friend of the family told me it would cost me $40 for them to slap on a fuel pressure gauge to test my lines. ...
Consider buying the gauge and fittings listed in a previous posting and having this shop install it as a permanent item of instrumentation. The parts might cost you $20 but the shop's labor charge should be lower because they would install it and leave it, rather than install their own tester, make readings, and then remove it.

An advantage of having the permanent installation is that you are better able to diagnose nasty intermittent problems. If you have the shop make measurements with their tester, that tells you about your fuel pressure today. If your engine misbehaves next month, you could
- spend another $40 for another shop test, ... or ...
- raise your hood and read the gauge.
Old 10-17-2000, 02:14 PM
Banned

ny96maxse....can you post some pics of your car....

i am thinking about getting a 95se and i have monsoons and i was wondering what it looks like...thanks