4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best Spring/strut combo.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:34 PM

Pics of an I30 on H&R springs and Illuna's

doesn't look uneven too me... if anything the rear looks higher

found @ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2113178
Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

A lot of it depends on whether you have a system in the trunk (weighs the rear down), and whether your car is automatic or 5-speed (5-speed makes the front lighter).

For example, a 5-speed with a system might look uneven, whereas an automatic with no system probably wouldn't.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Wild for Width

Thats a clean I30, I like that.

Whoever said S-Tech/AGX has NO experience with a/m suspension.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Buck96
I seriously doubt H&R would develop a spring kit for our Max and have an uneven vehicle stance, and if so this is the first I've heard of this...

I think it's a isolated experience, anyone else on H&R's want to speak up?

http://www.hrsprings.com
Yes, the rear is lower than the front. The top of the rear wheelwell is lower than than the top of the front wheelwell, that's how the car was designed.
If you lower your car with a set of springs with an even drop all the way around, the car will retain the "low rear" look. If you lower your car with set of springs with aggresive drop in the front, the car will look "even".
Old 04-05-2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by vw1xvWL6
Yes, the rear is lower than the front. The top of the rear wheelwell is lower than than the top of the front wheelwell, that's how the car was designed.
If you lower your car with a set of springs with an even drop all the way around, the car will retain the "low rear" look. If you lower your car with set of springs with aggresive drop in the front, the car will look "even".

Let me ask you this, How does the ride feel?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 PM

Now that everything is said and done, does anyone know where I can get these springs/struts for a good price? or just in general......
Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by vw1xvWL6

That would be great if, the spring kit were an even drop. on their website they show the front to have a slightly low drop than the rear thats why I supplied the web site in my original post
Old 04-06-2006, 06:44 AM

That would be great if, the spring kit were an even drop. on their website they show the front to have a slightly low drop than the rear thats why I supplied the web site in my original post
Lower drop, meaning they lower the car more in the rear. But isn't the car actually slightly higher in the rear on stock suspension?

EDIT: Where did you read that anyway? What I'm seeing is -1.4" front, -1.3" rear...
Old 04-06-2006, 06:58 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by russianguy
i couldnt say it better myself
i can s-tech/lummina
Old 04-06-2006, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
Now that everything is said and done, does anyone know where I can get these springs/struts for a good price? or just in general......
Go to www.performancepeddler.com and look near the upper-righthand corner of the main page. You'll see a little box labeled "Wholesale Login". Clear the text that's in the text box, type in "maxima", and click "login". Then, look down the left side of the page and find the link to "Suspension". Click that, then click "Shock/Strut". You're looking for Tokico products for a 1996 Infiniti I30 -- when I did it, for some reason entering Nissan Maxima only showed me the rears and the right front, but Infiniti I30 showed me all the right parts (the Maxima and I30 are the same anyway). So yeah... Obviously you'll need Illuminas for the right front, left front, and rear (make sure you add two of the rear shocks to your cart!). Total should be $408.

H&R springs can be bought from www.adventon.com.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Lower drop, meaning they lower the car more in the rear. But isn't the car actually slightly higher in the rear on stock suspension?

EDIT: Where did you read that anyway? What I'm seeing is -1.4" front, -1.3" rear...

I think you miss understand me, when I said lower drop, the context is to lower the car MORE not less, Ie the font will sit lower after the drop...

I didn't think anyone could confuse that but I'm Glad to clear that up, we're on the same page now
Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 AM

i have TEIN S-TECHS with KYB AGX shocks which i love the handling its not comfortable but i love the look and the handling, **** comfort!
Old 04-06-2006, 08:54 AM

I think you miss understand me, when I said lower drop, the context is to lower the car MORE not less, Ie the font will sit lower after the drop...

I didn't think anyone could confuse that but I'm Glad to clear that up, we're on the same page now
Damn, my mistake.... on me.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was looking at the gallery and most of the cars were lower in the rear, especially the Bimmers. I think it looks good.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:44 PM

What gallery?.......
Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM

any comments on h-techs w/ gr2s?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by talisman311
any comments on h-techs w/ gr2s?
That combo would probably work fairly well but I can't say I would recommend it. GR-2s are great for stock springs but they're not quite valved right for the higher stiffness of lowering springs.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:44 PM

Really like my Tokico kit. Looks good. Big increase in how "planted" the car feels (not as floaty), and the family tolerates the ride just fine. I leave the Illuminas on 2/3 in the winter (rougher roads and colder temps), and 3/4 in the summer. The firmer setting in the rear reduces understeer just a touch, and makes the car feel more neutral. Even on 4 in the rear, my kids are able to sleep in their car seats just fine, even around town.
I have a five speed with no system in the trunk (do have a stroller/misc. crap in the trunk, and a bike rack on the trunk), and the drop looks really even. Actually get almost perfectly even measured ride height (center of hub to wheel well).
Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM

What gallery?.......
H&R website
Old 04-06-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gibby
Really like my Tokico kit. Looks good. Big increase in how "planted" the car feels (not as floaty), and the family tolerates the ride just fine. I leave the Illuminas on 2/3 in the winter (rougher roads and colder temps), and 3/4 in the summer. The firmer setting in the rear reduces understeer just a touch, and makes the car feel more neutral. Even on 4 in the rear, my kids are able to sleep in their car seats just fine, even around town.
I have a five speed with no system in the trunk (do have a stroller/misc. crap in the trunk, and a bike rack on the trunk), and the drop looks really even. Actually get almost perfectly even measured ride height (center of hub to wheel well).

What exact kit did you get? How much for everything?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:11 PM

Go to www.performancepeddler.com and look near the upper-righthand corner of the main page. You'll see a little box labeled "Wholesale Login". Clear the text that's in the text box, type in "maxima", and click "login". Then, look down the left side of the page and find the link to "Suspension". Click that, then click "Shock/Strut". You're looking for Tokico products for a 1996 Infiniti I30 -- when I did it, for some reason entering Nissan Maxima only showed me the rears and the right front, but Infiniti I30 showed me all the right parts (the Maxima and I30 are the same anyway). So yeah... Obviously you'll need Illuminas for the right front, left front, and rear (make sure you add two of the rear shocks to your cart!). Total should be $408.

BTW d00df00d, YOUR THE MAN! THANKS!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:20 PM

www.adventron.com says they no longer do mail order business, do you maybe know of another site?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:23 PM

What exact kit did you get? How much for everything?
I got the tokico kit with the springs and Illuminas. I got it on eBay. It was when the kit first came out, and I don't remember the seller's name or exactly how much it was. $5XX.00 ???
If I find the seller and cost, I'll post it.
Don't forget (as others have said), "everything" will include bearings and boots at least.
good luck.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:25 PM

Coo,l thanks Gibby, appreciate it.....
Old 04-06-2006, 09:28 PM

I got the tokico kit with the springs and Illuminas. I got it on eBay. It was when the kit first came out, and I don't remember the seller's name or exactly how much it was. $5XX.00 ???
Don't forget (as others have said), "everything" will include bearings and boots at least.
good luck.
Here's one i found doing a quick search

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...53407876QQrdZ1
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM

oh man perfect!, I think im on it.....Thanks boostedka.... and I can always change the springs later on if I want right?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 PM

good luck.

Gibby, I forgot to ask you, is the your ride bouncy? and you wouldn't happen to have a pic of your car would you, that way I can get a really good Idea on the look..... if not thats cool
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 PM

Sure....you could change the springs at any time. However, each time you change any one of these components (springs, struts, bearings, boots, etc...) it's the same amount of labor. It's not that hard, but it's not something you'll want to do often. Whole suspension took me about 3 hrs. First time doing it, but I had my brother-in-law helping, and we had air tools (huge!).
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 PM

www.adventron.com says they no longer do mail order business, do you maybe know of another site?
Isn't mail order just when you mail your order/payment in? They would have taken down the shopping functionality on their website if they weren't going to do any Internet sales.

Either way, I'm sure there are others. It will just take a little shopping around, which I would be more than happy to help you with another time when it's not so late and I dont' have to get some sleep. At the very least, www.sportcompactonly.com has Tein H-Techs for $200, which would be a great substitute -- they're closer to H&R than any other spring on the market, and some people consider them to be the comfiest lowering springs available for the Max (they just weren't on the list earlier because H&Rs were $10 cheaper).
Old 04-06-2006, 09:48 PM

Gibby, I forgot to ask you, is the your ride bouncy? and you wouldn't happen to have a pic of your car would you, that way I can get a really good Idea on the look..... if not thats cool
The whole point of having the adjustable dampers, is that you can custom tune them to the springs you have. That is why the illuminas have it ALL OVER the HPs when you are talking about using lowering springs. When properly set up....NO, the ride is not bouncy at all. Very controlled. IMO 3/3 pretty well controls the tokico springs that come in the kit. Not too suprising that this is the middle setting, since tokico designed these to go together. I use one notch higher in the rear, to dial out some understeer. People often say, they don't need the adjustables, because they aren't going to play around with them. However, if they don't match your springs, and your ride is floaty/bouncy, you'll wish you could dial them up a notch. The only time I change mine is winter (2/3) to summer (3/4).

About pics. I've been out of the car scene for so long now, my cardomain site went the way of the dodo. IMO, the car looks like the max should have, from the factory. Nice and aggressive, but not slammed. If slammed is what you want, you will be dissapointed.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:58 PM

The whole point of having the adjustable dampers, is that you can custom tune them to the springs you have. That is why the illuminas have it ALL OVER the HPs when you are talking about using lowering springs. When properly set up....NO, the ride is not bouncy at all. Very controlled. IMO 3/3 pretty well controls the tokico springs that come in the kit. Not too suprising that this is the middle setting, since tokico designed these to go together. I use one notch higher in the rear, to dial out some understeer. People often say, they don't need the adjustables, because they aren't going to play around with them. However, if they don't match your springs, and your ride is floaty/bouncy, you'll wish you could dial them up a notch. The only time I change mine is winter (2/3) to summer (3/4).

About pics. I've been out of the car scene for so long now, my cardomain site went the way of the dodo. IMO, the car looks like the max should have, from the factory. Nice and aggressive, but not slammed. If slammed is what you want, you will be dissapointed.
Oh im not looking for the totally slammed look, just a nice drop to get rid of this huge wheel gap you know especially when I add some rims, and of course improve the handling. If that's what you have with yours, thats what I want.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:00 PM

Isn't mail order just when you mail your order/payment in? They would have taken down the shopping functionality on their website if they weren't going to do any Internet sales.

Either way, I'm sure there are others. It will just take a little shopping around, which I would be more than happy to help you with another time when it's not so late and I dont' have to get some sleep. At the very least, www.sportcompactonly.com has Tein H-Techs for $200, which would be a great substitute -- they're closer to H&R than any other spring on the market, and some people consider them to be the comfiest lowering springs available for the Max (they just weren't on the list earlier because H&Rs were $10 cheaper).
AHAHAHAHAHA!! Go get some sleep,yeah , there whole site is shut down, but no worries. Ill do some digging myself, Thanks tho...
Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 PM

I would go to sleep, but that was a great explanation from Gibby and we seem really close to a decision here.

Dug up some pics of Illumina kit drops from links on the Maxima.org main page:

You know, that Illumina kit should do really well for you. Plus, it'll be a tad cheaper than H&Rs or H-Techs with Illuminas. I say go for it.

Anyway, off to bed I go.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:32 PM

I would go to sleep, but that was a great explanation from Gibby and we seem really close to a decision here.

Dug up some pics of Illumina kit drops from links on the Maxima.org main page:

You know, that Illumina kit should do really well for you. Plus, it'll be a tad cheaper than H&Rs or H-Techs with Illuminas. I say go for it.

Anyway, off to bed I go.

WOW, thats It, Im getting the kit! Thanks guys, I don't know what I would of done with out your replies and feedback, THANKS, I APPRECIATE IT!
Old 04-07-2006, 08:23 AM

Im set on the adjustable illuminas, but now you have me worried of the H&R's and an uneven drop.......
I am running H&R/Illuminas; even, comfortable, smooth. I actually have more wheel gap in the front, but from car to ground front-to-back, it is level. Rides comfortable at 2F/3R, handles great...
Old 04-07-2006, 11:57 AM

Now i here that Illuminia and H&R is the way to go, but what type of person would you recommend these too???

Im a student that travels 360+ miles each way to skool, that being said i pack the trunk with a lot of stuff and usually have 1-2 people in the back. Do you still think this is a good set-up for my to have????? If not, what would you recommend???
Old 04-07-2006, 11:02 PM

H&R/Illumina is pretty much as good as it gets for comfort with a reasonable drop and improved handling. If you load the rear down a lot and want to be dead sure you have the right look, H-Tech/Illumina might be a better choice; it's generally accepted to be the same in terms of comfort and handling as the H&R/Illumina combo.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:54 AM

H-tein and GR-2
or
H&R and GR-2
???????
Which one you guys think is bestt of these?? I know H&R/Illumina would be BEst but being cost effecient, what you guys think of these???? I really want to get rid of that gap, that sh**t kills me everytime i look at it plus i want to improve handling.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:37 PM

Don't cheap out on your suspension. GR-2s and lowering springs do NOT mix.

If you need to save money, Tokico HPs are the BARE minimum, but even those aren't too good. If all you have to spend is ~$450, wait and save up.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:02 PM

I too am confused whether to get the Tein H-techs or teh H&R's...please help

Quick Reply: Best Spring/strut combo.