4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch issues <---- Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 AM

Clutch issues <---- Need Help!

Well I got in my car this morning and when I went to go push the clutch pedal in it fell to the floor. I expect that the clutch slave cylinder is malfunction, but what should I expect to pay if I get this replaced? Also I can tell that the clutch is on its way to needing to be replaced, does anybody know of any good sites where I could pick one up. There used to be a good site on here of the different clutches you could get for a max and what sites to get them on but I can't seem to locate it. Any info on what clutches are good and where to get them would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Blown

its probably you slave cyliner or else a hole in the hose going to it. I am guessing if you look in your clutch resivior on the fire wall (in the driver side corner) it will be dry. i had the same problem. I replaced the slave cylinder and hose and everything was good to go after I blead the system. If you just need to limp around until you have time to fix it just fill up the resivior with DOT3 and then bleed the system, and keep a close eye on it, also you can try to pin point the leak one you have fluid in the system.

I think requin6 is selling a new 4th gen slave cylinder, you should check with him if you decide to go this route.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:22 AM

check if you are full on the clutch fluid. if you are empty, fill it up and that should fix the problem. now....if you are full, you are expecting about $100-$150 dollars to fix the problem. (Slave that is) Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
check if you are full on the clutch fluid. if you are empty, fill it up and that should fix the problem. now....if you are full, you are expecting about $100-$150 dollars to fix the problem. (Slave that is) Good luck.
Filling it up will not fix the problem. DOT3 does not evaporate, so if you are low on fluid then you have a leak. Filling it up and bleeding the system will allow you to get around until you can fix the problem, but you are only delaying a fix, not actually fixing anything. As for replacing the slave, it's very easy, its only a few bolts, IMO you should not pay anyone to do this, its too easy and you may learn something too.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 AM

A couple of years ago I replaced my leaky clutch hose & bled the system from both the slave nipple & the top one on the strut tower. I've had to go back & bleed it a couple of times, but I only did the top one because it was easier. It seems like air is getting in either in the master or slave cylinder. The symptoms:
If I keep the clutch depressed for a length of time..say at a traffic light, it will start releasing lower...almost causing the car to creep forward. If I release it in neutral & pump it a couple of times. it's fine. Question is, since I've only bled the slave once (just after changing the hose), should I do that again? I don't want to change the slave and then find out it's the master cylinder...how do I figure out which is leaking?

I didn't want to hijack this thread but I think it relates, since the original poster may encounter the same issue.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Maintenance Monster

It's probably best to replace both the master and slave. Reason being, when one fails the other usually follows soon after. Price is probably $250 in parts and $100 in labor.

Dave
Old 04-11-2006, 04:22 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

yea try bleeding it, mine did this and it was my master cylinder......i replaced my slave and that was not the problem. try to bleed it/
Old 04-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by cardana24
Filling it up will not fix the problem. DOT3 does not evaporate, so if you are low on fluid then you have a leak. Filling it up and bleeding the system will allow you to get around until you can fix the problem, but you are only delaying a fix, not actually fixing anything. As for replacing the slave, it's very easy, its only a few bolts, IMO you should not pay anyone to do this, its too easy and you may learn something too.
what im trying to say is that if he was empty on the fluid to begin with, it might be that.
but if its not that, then its the slave...duh........
Old 04-12-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
yea try bleeding it, mine did this and it was my master cylinder......i replaced my slave and that was not the problem. try to bleed it/
Thx for the input..I think it's the master cylinder since there always is air in the upper pipe which is connected to the master cylinder. I'll try bleeding at the slave again since I have nothing to lose.