4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coilovers vs spring/strut combo

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Coilovers vs spring/strut combo

Can someone tell me the advantages/disadvantages to each combination. From what I have read on the site coilovers sounds like a better option overall but I want to know what you guys think. I was thinking of getting a Tein Basic Damper Kit that I read about on maxmods.dyndns.org but want to know more. I read a few threads where people with the D2 set of coilovers were having problems with noise when turning and I really dont want to have that problem. Would the spring/strut combo have less of a chance of noise around turns? Also would I be able to make a spring/strut combo perform the same as a coilover set while costing me less money?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by wootwoot
Also would I be able to make a spring/strut combo perform the same as a coilover set while costing me less money?
Not really. Example setup:

KYB AGX, Eibach Prokit, new strut mounts, new bearings, new dustboots
= $800+

k-sport or D2
= ~$800

If you're looking for overall better handling, coilovers are the way to go. I used to have Eibach/AGX and although they handled fairly well, when I switched to coilovers the difference was very noticable. I have teins myself and they are actually very comfortable yet handle amazing. A big reason for the handling difference is the spring rate. Coilovers will be in the 7kg+ range, while a spring/strut setup will generally be in the 3kg range. Another reason is that with coilovers the spring/shock pairs are specifically designed to work together, whereas a spring/strut combo you pick out yourself is made by individual companies.

An upside to a spring/strut setup is that replacement parts are easy to get. For example, if a bearing goes bad, you can go to your local Nissan dealer and buy a new one. There's actually a couple of coilover systems that are designed to use the stock strut mount and bearings: Tein and IIRC, Boss Chen.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

A Coilover suspension allows you to dial in the corner weight to set the vehicle up for track use. It requires the use of a vehicle corner weight scale. Most on here don't even know that, they just set them to a ride height they like.

A spring and strut combo is more of a street setup. Easy to install, maintenance free, gives you the lower stance plus nice handling. A good spring and strut combo will also be much more ride compliant.