4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

looking to replace exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 AM

looking to replace exhaust system

I've been holding off on replacing the exhaust system on my 95 Max due to the price of the pipes. I'm slowly learning how this exhaust is assembled. The exhaust diagram in the shop manual shows the front and the rear exhaust tube assemblies. From what I saw on the internet, the front assembly includes the y-pipe and that metal braided covered pipe as one piece. Looks like there is no way to only get the pipe after the y-pipe. Mine has a hole in it and it can't be repaired. I was on the LSS Exhaust site and they show the front assembly without the pre-cats. I would really want a stock replacement so I don't have to deal with trying to pass the PA state emission test and I don't want the exhaust any louder. Are there any after market places that sell stock replacement y-pipes?? Also, where can I get an after market stock cat-back system?? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:25 AM

The "metal braided covered pipe" is the flex section, it is a part of the y-pipe. Are you saying the hole is in this section? An exhaust shop should be able to replace just the flex section.

As for an aftermarket y-pipe, I've had my Warpspeed aftermarket (no pre-cats) on for 3 years and not one problem passing due to emissions. It will make it slightly louder, but I found that change to be hardly noticeable.

I don't know where you would get a stock replacement y-pipe at a reasonable cost, maybe look around in the for sale forums on here and see if anyone has one in good condition.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Yep, I have a hole in the flex section. I tried to have it welded shut, but the metal is too thin and rusted.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

not sure, i havent checked here, but www.rockauto.com they usually have alot of all stock stuff... not everything tho.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...214041&make=25
www.buynissanparts.com
Old 04-17-2006, 11:04 AM

My exhaust broke right after the flex section. The muffler shop wanted $90 to put in a new flex section and take out the rusted part. I thought it would be better to just buy the cattman for $350, which is what i did. You will still pass emmissions testing the pre-cats are for when the engine is cold, when it warm you are fine. 99% of us probably have to drive to the emmissions place so you should be up to temp when you get there. There are cheaper Y-pipes though.

But to answer your question no i dont know a place that sells stock y-pipes, you will have to get the flex section welded in.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 AM

ya, i suppose it would be better to just buy a y-pipe. i bought myne for 230$ at CE under a group deal. i belive budget and warpspeed are cheaper than that - you have to call them.

you will pass emissions as long as your not passing a code.
unless your in cali - then you have cali spec and its more strict, which i do belive alot of people do pass, but then again you will have to do a search for more info on that to make sure.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mindlessoath
you will pass emissions as long as your not passing a code.
unless your in cali - then you have cali spec and its more strict, which i do belive alot of people do pass, but then again you will have to do a search for more info on that to make sure.
Cali spec cars are not just in California - it is just a slightly different set of emissions equipment in the car. You can find whether you are federal or cali spec by using the VIN and the stickies. You are right in saying that the state of California has stricter emissions requirements though. Also, some areas make you do a tailpipe sniffer test, which is what gives some y-pipe people problems (though a code will also fail you). I don't know what your emissions are like in Illinois (judging by your profile), but I know from personal experience that some parts of PA require a tailpipe sniffer test.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:21 PM

PA Emissions Testing

check for your county/region of PA and the site will tell you what kind of test you'll need. i'm in process of switching my car from MD to PA and i want to get my y-pipe put on before i get inspected myself.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:29 PM
00vi Equipped.......

I'm in the process of installing obx race sports down pipe and headers. If youre thinking about getting a down pipe header combo, your probably better off just getting a down pipe. in order for the headers to fit (since they are way bigger than stock) i have to cut both motormounts that are in the way of each header. Not to mention the stock header under the intake mani is still in place. I tried taking the motor mount off under neath it by, taking off the driver side tire and splash gard hooking up about 2ft of extension impact gun(bolt didnt budge). then i tried heating up the nut on the other side with a torch but still didnt budge . But tomorrow is a new day and well see what happens.