4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

speaker static?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:58 PM

speaker static?!?

ok ive been dealing with this problem for months. finally posting it. my 99 max has the premium bose speakers and used to have the bose cd/cassette deck but i replaced it with a jensen deck(which im hopefully replacing with a kenwood soon). the problem is at low volumes it is quite staticy. if i turn it up the static goes away...either that or the music just drowns it out. also volume 1 is quite loud for 1. i find myself having to raise my voice in order to talk to someone.

any clue as to what to do? i read some post on a schoshe adapter or somethin...is that what i need to get? also circuit city hooked it up for free since the deck was over $100 so they might have done a hackjob? i dont know. help me out!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:04 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

do not, i repeat do NOT wire the headunit straight to the bose speakers. they are individually amped, and do not work like a regular speaker system. if you need to wire it up this way, replace all the speakers in the car. That's what I did. if not, get the PAC-ROEM-NIS2 adapter, should run you about $55 shipped from ebay, and it should let you use an aftermarket headunit with your Bose speakers.

My advice: get a decent headunit, and get some decent speakers. They sound much better than the "Blose".
Old 04-17-2006, 01:14 PM

Its pretty hairy trying to get after market stuff to work with the bose premium system, i think i speak for everyone when i say you are better off simply replacing everything then trying to mess it. The problem you are having is a mismatch between the amps and the deck - the amps have high sensitivety, too high for what the deck was designed for. I can't say how they hooked up at CC, maybe they hooked the amps up to the speaker level output? The fact that they got it working at all is a small miracle considering its CC.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
do not, i repeat do NOT wire the headunit straight to the bose speakers. they are individually amped, and do not work like a regular speaker system. if you need to wire it up this way, replace all the speakers in the car. That's what I did. if not, get the PAC-ROEM-NIS2 adapter, should run you about $55 shipped from ebay, and it should let you use an aftermarket headunit with your Bose speakers.

My advice: get a decent headunit, and get some decent speakers. They sound much better than the "Blose".

well, i listen to my music quite loud anyway, so i never hear the static unless someone else is in the car and i keep the volume down. and when i listen to it loud, it sounds clearer than any speaker ive ever heard.

but anyway, can i get that adapter someplace else besides ebay? i dont have an account (nor am i going to make one), and i just dont trust many people on that kind of site if i cant actually meet them. ive gotten screwed too much.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can get the pac adapter from several retail sites. the manufacturer is pacific accessory corporation. bose speakers are .5 ohms, regural speakers are 4 ohms, i beleive.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:42 PM
What's next!?..

You should be able to find the adapter at a local auto stereo shop too.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:01 PM

You can buy mine, I just took mine out cuz i replaced all the speakers and bypassed the bose all togethter. I use to use my Bose speakers with my aftermarket Alpine HU and i thought it worked great. PM me
Old 04-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Made in Taiwan

The factory Premium Boss sound system is totally different than the regular sound setup. You were running a pretty powerful factory sound system from boss with a 1 ohm resistence setup. The negative terminals are all grounded back to the amp at higher feedback voltages. You cannot just hook up a 4 Ohm head unit to that Factory setup.

Pretty much all the aftermarket head units run on 4 Ohm speaker setups. You cannot cross wire it to the Boss's 1 Ohm speakers directly. To do this, you'll need that converter that tarvarish mentioned. Other than that, you'd have to replace all factory speakers with regular 4 Ohm speakers. Further, you can run your own amplifiers with the new head unit you bought to achieve as much as 2 Ohm's setup. So, either put back your factory deck, or replace your factory speakers with aftermarket ones, and route them directly to the head unit. DO NOT USE BOSS'S AMPLIFIERS for your 4 Ohm setup!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:47 PM

whatever ive been using it with my aftermarket deck for about 5 months now and not only is it loud as hell but its pretty damn clear too. i might be gettin a new deck soon so maybe ill grab that converter for the hell of it.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by willard00
whatever ive been using it with my aftermarket deck for about 5 months now and not only is it loud as hell but its pretty damn clear too. i might be gettin a new deck soon so maybe ill grab that converter for the hell of it.

well, didn't you post your thread saying that it's staticy? so what's your "whatever" deal then?

besides, both jensen and kentwood decks are trash. research and pay a little extra for better stuff, please. I worked at a automotive audio and tinting shop before and we don't even accept jensen's into our inventory. From my personal installation and repairs experience, Clarion, Alpine, Eclipse are top notch performers. Sony, Pioneer are decent performers, and blaupukt, panasonic, and kenwood are pretty crappy ones. Jensen's are waaaaay below crappy to even compare. How'bout that?
Old 05-06-2006, 08:24 PM

i know jensens suck. thats why im gettin rid of it...

and my "whatever deal" is that its only staticy at low volumes, and the only times i listen to it low is when someone else is in the car...which is rarely ever so it really doesnt matter all that much.

ive looked at all the "good" decks youve mentioned, and i dont like any of them. kenwood is good enough for me. im not tryin to have a rediculously nice system...just typical deck with subs.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Just the tip.

Try turning the treble down a bit. That helped my problem for a bit. Eventually I ended up replacing all my front speakers and connected them to a seperate amp.