4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gera Oil in 5spd ?++++==>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 11:13 PM
Granny Driven

Gear OIL in 5spd? ======>>>>>....

I have a 1997 maxima se with 5spd. I bought it around 3 weeks ago maybe less. The guy used it in marylands on the highway. Papers say that maintanence was done in the recomended intervals but it doesnt say if gear oil in the tranny was changed, all it sas is that it was inspected but not changed. My QUESTION is: should I touch the gear oil(transmition)? because my car has 108k miles on it. Please give me a good advise. I dont want to make it worse by.
THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 06-14-2001, 11:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Gear OIL in 5spd? ======>>>>>....

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
I have a 1997 maxima se with 5spd. I bought it around 3 weeks ago maybe less. The guy used it in marylands on the highway. Papers say that maintanence was done in the recomended intervals but it doesnt say if gear oil in the tranny was changed, all it sas is that it was inspected but not changed. My QUESTION is: should I touch the gear oil(transmition)? because my car has 108k miles on it. Please give me a good advise. I dont want to make it worse by.
I believe the recommended intervels for tranny fluid is every 60k miles. They also recommend it to be changed every 30K miles if you drive hard or you drive in incliment weather{super hot or cold or dusty etc.}. Anyways I personaly make sure I change my Fluid Every 30K but at the very least I whould do it every 60K. If you do decide to change your fluid I highly recommend Red Line MT-90, this stuff works wonders!
Old 06-15-2001, 06:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

With 100K miles of someone else driving the car, who's to say you might not need a new clutch soon? If that is the case, I'd just hold off because you will get new gear oil then. If you think you have another 30-60k on your current clutch (ie. it was driven properly and not raced) then you might want to replace the stuff.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:24 AM

Re: Gear OIL in 5spd? ======>>>>>....

Nissan does not require changing transmission lubricant unless you are towing a trailer, using a camper or car-top carrier, or driving on rough/muddy roads. Therefore the previous owner of your car may honestly say "it was maintained by the book" and yet the transaxle is still running on the factory fill. I suggest you replace the gear oil now. If you like to do your own "wrenching" this will cost you only 5 quarts of gear lube.

See:
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...fluid_page.gif
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/mtoil.html

The drain plug is horizontal, low on the transaxle case near the engine, and near the shifter boot. It is fairly small and looks like an ordinary bolt.

The fill plug is on the side of the transaxle housing nearest the front of the car. It is fairly large and has a square recess. The tool to remove it is an ordinary 1/2-inch ratchet wrench, with no socket fitted.

Remove the fill plug first, and then the drain plug. That will eliminate the risk of draining the old lube and then discovering you can't install new lube because the fill plug is too tight. It will also help the gear lube to drain faster.

Observe the color of the old lube as it pours out. It should be brown or black. If it is shiny and silvery, that is cause for concern. That silvery color is thousands of tiny metal particles which have flaked off internal transaxle parts such as bearings.

Install and tighten the drain plug before installing the new lube. (Don't laugh, plenty of people have forgotten to do this and wound up with a large puddle of new lube on the garage floor.) You may find it convenient to install the new lube with a funnel and a short length of plastic tubing fitted to the funnel spout. Position the funnel in the engine compartment, near the battery. Route the plastic tubing into the fill port. Add gear lube until it begins to overflow. Nissan recommends API GL-4 SAE 80W-90 gear lube. The capacity of the 5-speed is 4.5 - 4.8 liters. Do not use API GL-5 gear lube.
Old 06-15-2001, 07:30 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Gear OIL in 5spd? ======>>>>>....

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Nissan does not require changing transmission lubricant unless you are towing a trailer, using a camper or car-top carrier, or driving on rough/muddy roads. Therefore the previous owner of your car may honestly say "it was maintained by the book" and yet the transaxle is still running on the factory fill. I suggest you replace the gear oil now. If you like to do your own "wrenching" this will cost you only 5 quarts of gear lube.

See:
http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/megam...fluid_page.gif
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/mtoil.html

The drain plug is horizontal, low on the transaxle case near the engine, and near the shifter boot. It is fairly small and looks like an ordinary bolt.

The fill plug is on the side of the transaxle housing nearest the front of the car. It is fairly large and has a square recess. The tool to remove it is an ordinary 1/2-inch ratchet wrench, with no socket fitted.

Remove the fill plug first, and then the drain plug. That will eliminate the risk of draining the old lube and then discovering you can't install new lube because the fill plug is too tight. It will also help the gear lube to drain faster.

Observe the color of the old lube as it pours out. It should be brown or black. If it is shiny and silvery, that is cause for concern. That silvery color is thousands of tiny metal particles which have flaked off internal transaxle parts such as bearings.

Install and tighten the drain plug before installing the new lube. (Don't laugh, plenty of people have forgotten to do this and wound up with a large puddle of new lube on the garage floor.) You may find it convenient to install the new lube with a funnel and a short length of plastic tubing fitted to the funnel spout. Position the funnel in the engine compartment, near the battery. Route the plastic tubing into the fill port. Add gear lube until it begins to overflow. Nissan recommends API GL-4 SAE 80W-90 gear lube. The capacity of the 5-speed is 4.5 - 4.8 liters. Do not use API GL-5 gear lube.
Thanks Daniel....updating FAQ sticky post....
Old 06-15-2001, 03:25 PM
Granny Driven

Re: Re: Gear OIL in 5spd? ======>>>>>....

Dear Daniel B. Martin what got me worried is that mechaniks recomend NOT changing the gear oil if you bought a car from someone u never seen in ur life and with high milege, because it migh break ur tranny. The particals that worn out are still in the oil and when removed itloosens the gears and result in future break down.PLEASEEEEE help
Old 06-16-2001, 08:26 AM

To change or not to change...

Dear Daniel B. Martin what got me worried is that mechaniks recomend NOT changing the gear oil if you bought a car from someone u never seen in ur life and with high milege, because it migh break ur tranny. The particals that worn out are still in the oil and when removed itloosens the gears and result in future break down.PLEASEEEEE help
If it was my car I would change the transmission oil. I don't believe that past neglect justifies continued neglect.