4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need brake help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 02:39 PM

I just bought a 96 Maxima and it has brake trouble. I started gettin into it and realized that one of the brake pads was defective (the pad itself had come apart from the metal backing) I thought that it might have been the pad wedging itself against the rotor, but it also might be a bad caliper that is not returning the piston. Anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? Are the calipers likely to go quick on a Max? any help would be greatly appreciated since a new set of calipers will run me over $700, that money should be spent else where if at all possible. Thanks
Old 06-15-2001, 02:43 PM

Clarification requested

Originally posted by Maxima Shine
I just bought a 96 Maxima and it has brake trouble. I started gettin into it and realized that one of the brake pads was defective (the pad itself had come apart from the metal backing) I thought that it might have been the pad wedging itself against the rotor, but it also might be a bad caliper that is not returning the piston. Anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? Are the calipers likely to go quick on a Max? any help would be greatly appreciated since a new set of calipers will run me over $700, that money should be spent else where if at all possible. Thanks
What do you mean by "returning the piston"?
Old 06-17-2001, 08:04 PM

clarification

I mean that the caliper piston does not go back into the caliper, I am assuming that it is supposed, this is my first time working oin brakes.
Old 06-17-2001, 08:12 PM
The missing moderator

The pistons is not supposed to return into the caliper. as the pads wear, it comes out further and further to keep the pad slightly on the rotor. This is absolutely normal.

-Shing
Old 06-17-2001, 08:27 PM

You need a manual

I mean that the caliper piston does not go back into the caliper, I am assuming that it is supposed, this is my first time working oin brakes.
Shing is right. The piston does not recede into the caliper during normal brake operation. When you replace the brake pads you force the piston back into the caliper with a tool such as a large C-clamp. Please refer to the Haynes repair manual, page 9-5. If the piston cannot be forced back into the caliper with the tool then you need to rebuild or replace the caliper.

You really need a manual to guide you. If you don't have a copy of Haynes, go get one. You can buy this book at any large bookstore or auto parts store. It may be available at your public library.

Brake pad replacement is a job which can be done by the home mechanic. However, if you don't have prior experience and you don't have a manual, then you are getting in over your head.
Old 06-17-2001, 10:34 PM

Re: You need a manual

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Shing is right. The piston does not recede into the caliper during normal brake operation. When you replace the brake pads you force the piston back into the caliper with a tool such as a large C-clamp. Please refer to the Haynes repair manual, page 9-5. If the piston cannot be forced back into the caliper with the tool then you need to rebuild or replace the caliper.

You really need a manual to guide you. If you don't have a copy of Haynes, go get one. You can buy this book at any large bookstore or auto parts store. It may be available at your public library.

Brake pad replacement is a job which can be done by the home mechanic. However, if you don't have prior experience and you don't have a manual, then you are getting in over your head.
I got the book, but the brake pages are just a bunch of pictures, not really descriptive. Also, my E-Brake cable seems really tight even when the brake is not engaged and the cable is disconnected from the brake itself. Anyone have any ideas on why this is not working properly? does the E-brake also connect to the front brakes?

Thank you guys for your help.
Old 06-18-2001, 04:38 AM

Re: Re: You need a manual

I got the book, but the brake pages are just a bunch of pictures, not really descriptive. Also, my E-Brake cable seems really tight even when the brake is not engaged and the cable is disconnected from the brake itself. Anyone have any ideas on why this is not working properly? does the E-brake also connect to the front brakes?

Thank you guys for your help.
The handbrake connects to the rear brakes only. The cables may bind due to corrosion. You may be able to free them up with a liberal spray of a liquid penetrant such as WD-40 and then working them back and forth.

The Haynes repair manual has the best coverage of brake pad replacement I've seen, and I have all three repair manuals. If that book does not provide enough information then I urge you to enlist the aid of a friend who knows brakes.
Old 06-18-2001, 04:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: You need a manual

I have the Haynes and did my brake pads this past month. I found the manual invaluable. The pics were pretty good, and especially for the rear job, I thought the book saved me. I bought a brake caliper spreader but that was a waste. Per Haynes, the rear caliper just required a few clockwise turns with a needle-nose plier to make it retract.