4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Motor mounts and clutch shudder

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Maintenance Monster

Motor mounts and clutch shudder

I recently installed an ACT Stage 1. Refinished the flywheel and used a new clutch disc and t/o bearing. I get some shudder when I engage between 1000-1800rpm.

Somewhere I read that the combination of stock mounts and an ACT stage 1 are what cause the shuddering. And that stiffer (urethane) motor mounts used with the ACT will be smooth. Has anyone observed this personally? Would replacing just the front and rear mounts work?

(All 4 of mine are original and undamaged, 147k miles). If the mounts will solve the problem, I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible.

Dave
Old 05-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Maintenance Monster

Wow, bump back to page 1
Old 05-01-2006, 07:48 PM

motor mounts definately help, but last time i had clutch chatter, it was the slave cylinder being really weak, fixed that and ALL chatter was gone
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I installed the ACT stage 1 at 100k (replaced stock with 2mm left). Resurfaced the fly. It was hard to engage the clutch smoothly w/o higher rpm (which others will agree w/ACT clutches). At 150k, I replaced thrashed stock motor mounts with ES inserts and still got difficulty engaging the clutch.

Finally rebuilt the tranny at 160k and welded the sheeth surrounding the input shaft and finally it's smooth. Good luck w/your setup.

Jae
Old 05-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Finally rebuilt the tranny at 160k and welded the sheeth surrounding the input shaft and finally it's smooth. Good luck w/your setup.

Jae
What is this sheath you're referring to?

Dave
Old 05-02-2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
What is this sheath you're referring to?

Dave

The base was mildy cracked.

Jae
Old 05-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Maintenance Monster

Ah, yeah that would indicate something funny. Mine is in fine shape.

Dave
Old 05-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Clutch chatter is fairly common with aftermarket clutches. Some say it's how you install it, some say it's the surface of the flywheel, some say it's just the nature of a clutch that holds significant amounts of power.

Stiffer motor mounts are probably not the solution. Although if yours are in really bad shape it could contribute a little bit.

How many miles have you put on the clutch? I got some chatter with my two different aftermarket clutches, but most of it went away after a couple thousand miles.

Reving a bit higher when starting out in first usually helps avoid chatter as well
Old 05-03-2006, 06:24 AM

I faught with clutch chatter when I had my ACT stage one. The only real fix is swap it out. I finally changed it to an Exedy Stage one and couldnt be happier. There really no point to have an aftermarket clutch unless your putting down some good numbers, boosted or even spraying.

-matt
Old 05-03-2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by matty
I faught with clutch chatter when I had my ACT stage one. The only real fix is swap it out. I finally changed it to an Exedy Stage one and couldnt be happier. There really no point to have an aftermarket clutch unless your putting down some good numbers, boosted or even spraying.

-matt
Though the pedal is heavy and clutch chatters, I love the increased control of ACT. Same argument for "purists" choosing clutch over electronic paddel shifters in the new Ferrari's.

My bro's got an Exedy, it feels the same and engages the same as stock. Supposedly it's got more clamping force, but I wouldn't know. In this case, yes, your argument applies.

Depends on the individual, but too bad you can't return clutches like you can shoes and clothes after taking them home and wearing them around for a week.

Jae
Old 05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Maintenance Monster

I bought this clutch several years ago not long after I bought my Max. That was before I knew anything about clutches, capacity, etc and I just wanted a firmer feel. My car is basically all stock, and never will see increased torque.

I dropped the tranny last Dec for a rebuild and figured I should put in that clutch since it was a convenient time. The stocker still had a lot of life left in it, but since it was filthy and my garage was cluttered I pitched it. (stupid!) The ACT shuddered quite a bit at first, and although it's dulled some over the last 5k it still shudders much more than it should. I don't like the idea of engaging at higher RPM, especially since it makes driving in stop-and-go traffic absolute mind-blowing torture.

At this point I just want a smooth clutch, and the cheapest/most reasonable solution. Since the motor mounts are quite old, they might not be a bad thing to change, but if it doesn't solve it I'll be pretty pissed. I've changed enough parts on this car that didn't solve anything. Hell half the stuff in the engine bay that isn't the engine is new(ish), and most of it was unnecessary.

If someone has a good stock clutch and flywheel I'd be more than happy to trade it for an ACT and my resurfaced flywheel. But if that doesn't work someone would be kinda screwed.

Dave
Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 PM

It's kinda hard to sell a used clutch disc. Maybe buy a 5th gen pressure plate and reuse your disc?

Jae
Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 PM
SHIFT_up

sry don't mean to jack the thread but i'm about to change my clutch and i wanted to go with spec stage 2. My car is pretty much stock, but it "MIGHT" become a project car. With the stage 2 i want to accomplish a faster engage with my engine and i want to lower the travel of the clutch pedal itself. Is it ok for a spec stage 2? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:42 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
It's kinda hard to sell a used clutch disc. Maybe buy a 5th gen pressure plate and reuse your disc?

Jae
That's one possibility. If I were to sell this clutch I'd sell the matching disc, pressure plate, and flywheel together.

I think I'll just have to try a couple of motor mounts.

Dave
Old 05-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

That's one possibility. If I were to sell this clutch I'd sell the matching disc, pressure plate, and flywheel together.

I think I'll just have to try a couple of motor mounts.

Dave

I'm telling you. Don't go replacing the motor mounts. I have solid ES motor mounts and can still get clutch chatter. Now, if you want to replace them anyway then go ahead. But your problem is in your clutch, not your mounts.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Maintenance Monster

When I first installed it, it chattered. So I took it down and had the flywheel resurfaced. Cleaned all surfaces with brake cleaner, no sign of oil leakage. It still chatters.

I would like to know what you suggest as a good next step, if you believe motor mounts aren't the issue.

Dave
Old 05-04-2006, 08:29 AM

When I first installed it, it chattered. So I took it down and had the flywheel resurfaced. Cleaned all surfaces with brake cleaner, no sign of oil leakage. It still chatters.

I would like to know what you suggest as a good next step, if you believe motor mounts aren't the issue.

Dave
How long did you wait to drop the trans and clean everything ?? 100 miles ? 200 miles ? 1000 miles ??

-matt
Old 05-04-2006, 08:37 AM
Maintenance Monster

I went to my records to check - 9k. So I guess either the disc or pressure plate was also misshapen by that point, and flywheel machining alone won't fix it.

I suppose the solution is to install a whole other matching clutch disc/flywheel/pressure plate set. Maybe with luck I can find a used set.

Dave
Old 05-04-2006, 08:41 AM

No no no..You need to install all fresh stuff..you cant go in and cut one without replacing the other especially 9K miles later when everything is broken in.
I made that mistake with my ACT. I installed the ACT with a Cut stock flywheel and about 10K miles later I blew my trans so while i had it open I installed a Fidanza in for the performance aspect. The CHATTER was Outrageous. I changed the mounts, but no luck at all. I finally put in a new flywheel insert from Fidanza with an Exedy Stage one.

I know for sure you want to install a clutch and flywheel at the same time. Both New for sure.

-matt
Old 05-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Maintenance Monster

Yep, I hadn't realized it was so long. Is remaining chatter that due to the uneven wear on the flywheel side clutch disc?

Anyway, I see an Exedy clutch kit is going for just over $100, much cheaper than I thought. The flywheel surfacing will cost almost as much.

Oh, since having the flywheel resurfaced my engine is not as smooth - like the balance of the flywheel was changed. Can the machine shop balance the flywheel alone and solve the problem? Or were there matchmarks that I missed to ensure I put the flywheel on in the same orientation?

Dave