4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

*Rant* (informative here and there)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:01 PM

*Rant* (informative here and there)

Over time I've heard many people put down the Megan Catback also the OBX catback system.

I test drove a Max a few mins ago (96SEsleepa). I must say this exhaust setup, sounds much better than people (who havent driven a car with it) you would expect. At idle its close to non-existand you can barely hear it. If you were normally driving (shifting @ 3k) it sounds sport but not too loud, even when going up to 6.6k, its still a surprisingly nice sound.

I had thought this exhaust wouldnt be good to add to my car because everyone said its loud, drone (which it doesnt), but its a damn nice sounding exhaust. Obviously its no SP2 but I've yet to drive a car, or sit in the car with an sp2 on it.

Megan Exhaust. . . a lot nicer than people let on to believe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan...spagenameZWDVW

**________________________________________________ _____________**

Sometimes It takes someone else driving your car for you to realize how good yours looks. Watching my car drive around from the rear gave me a new appreciation for my car that I wouldnt have been able to obtain driving it myself. My car looks damn good driving around, low as ish in the back with no wing. . . I'm still debating to put the wing back on or leave it off and maybe get the M3 lip and put that on instead.

**________________________________________________ ______________**

Our car (and I'm sure others) can act up on us at a moments Notice. After test driving the same max with the megan exhaust. He called me back and his car wouldnt start. He was at a gas station. I got there and when you turnt he key the car wont crank nothing, just quite.

When looking at the dash, I saw the CEL wasnt lighting up when you turn the key all the way (but dont start). The Cel was reset earlier and I thought maybe it wasnt reset properly. Reset it so that the light was on when the key is in the on position but still no fire. After a few mins, I didnt think the starter would be the issue as usually starters will drag a bit as a sign its going bad. I tapped the starter while he cranked and the car fired up.

**________________________________________________ ______________**

righty tighty, lefty loosy . . . I cant stress that enough. I still get it confused when working on the car.

Thats about all.
MDeezy.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:04 PM

yup yup. My friend has this exhaust on his 95 5spd. This thing is damn quiet. Great exhaust but I do not like the look.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:20 PM
96SEsleepa

THANKS MDEEZY.....

SO WHAT I GOT IT 4RM EBAY ....LOL.....

NEED SHOCKS AND STRUTS......ANY 4 SALE??????

Old 05-16-2006, 07:22 PM

anytime
Old 05-16-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Over time I've heard many people put down the Megan Catback also the OBX catback system.

I test drove a Max a few mins ago (96SEsleepa). I must say this exhaust setup, sounds much better than people (who havent driven a car with it) you would expect. At idle its close to non-existand you can barely hear it. If you were normally driving (shifting @ 3k) it sounds sport but not too loud, even when going up to 6.6k, its still a surprisingly nice sound.

I had thought this exhaust wouldnt be good to add to my car because everyone said its loud, drone (which it doesnt), but its a damn nice sounding exhaust. Obviously its no SP2 but I've yet to drive a car, or sit in the car with an sp2 on it.

Megan Exhaust. . . a lot nicer than people let on to believe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan...spagenameZWDVW
I think sometimes people jump on the org bandwagon and when one person says its bad, the rest of the org say its bad.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:29 PM

Yeah I notice when I watch my car being driven, it's a good feeling to get to see what you're actually driving. Yeah and my car acts up sometimes, pi$$es me off too.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Sold

I'm currently having voltage issues. She'll put ot 13.8 volts for a long time and then drag on startup. I did the started last year and this just started within the week. I'm hoping it's not the alternator. Battery is less than 1 year old. I'm gonna check all the connections tomorrow. Anything else you can suggest?
sorry to change the topic of this thread....
Old 05-16-2006, 07:55 PM
on this site too damn much

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Sometimes It takes someone else driving your car for you to realize how good yours looks. Watching my car drive around from the rear gave me a new appreciation for my car that I wouldnt have been able to obtain driving it myself. My car looks damn good driving around, low as ish in the back with no wing. . . I'm still debating to put the wing back on or leave it off and maybe get the M3 lip and put that on instead.
Yeah man I feel ya on this...I check my car out in reflections any chance I get...People are like what the hells this dude staring at, but I'm just checkin out my reflection in their black paint (love those mirror finished tanker trucks!)...And the shopping centers with the whole store front windows down the the ground are perfect...god im G A Y....but nothing beats watchin someone else drive your car away, gives you a good idea as to what your throwing all your money into
Old 05-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Haha yep, I actually look in reflections and stuff too. I dunno, I just like how the car looks.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

is that something you could put on yourself easily? i have been looking at a exhust laltley.....marlon do you have this exhaust? cause i would like to hear it.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:15 PM

I have the OBX catback Greddy SP replica and must say its the best I have ever heard both from inside the car and outside. It looks and sounds MUCH better than SP2 and other exhausts I've heard, only better(not really, same ) is an actual SP. Recommend it all the way!

About the install, I have installed mine on jackstands, it all depends what condition are the bolts out there and get the O2 sensor key(!).

Great investment :
Old 05-16-2006, 11:19 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

i just cannot stand sound, like i want a nice exhust and 2.5 pipe back to the muffler i just do not know if i can deal with the sounds, that is why i like my 2001 muffler it si completeley silent. i need to go listen to the sound clips
Old 05-17-2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by anj109
Yeah man I feel ya on this...I check my car out in reflections any chance I get...People are like what the hells this dude staring at, but I'm just checkin out my reflection in their black paint (love those mirror finished tanker trucks!)...And the shopping centers with the whole store front windows down the the ground are perfect...god im G A Y....but nothing beats watchin someone else drive your car away, gives you a good idea as to what your throwing all your money into
Wow you guys make me feel better i thought that i was pretty lame always looking in windows to see my car...and a few days ago was the first time i ever saw my car drive away from the outside...my friend was like have you ever heard your car from the outside and i said no, knowing that he just wanted to drive my car and it was pretty cool seeing it drive away.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

in most of the threads that i read about megan racing here, the owners all ranted about the sound and that it sounded pretty damn good, but the issue that i kept on seeing pop up over and over again was that it rusted through very easily
Old 05-17-2006, 03:02 AM

hey mine is setup isnt loud when ur cruising and what not only durring accelaration do you hear it really.lol
Old 05-17-2006, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
is that something you could put on yourself easily? i have been looking at a exhust laltley.....marlon do you have this exhaust? cause i would like to hear it.

You could install this easily yourself, lift the car up high enouhgt, then its just removing bolts from the cat back. If there not rusted on too good and brake bar should be all you need.

I dont have the exhaust a 96sleepa has the exhaust on his car, met up with him last night and it just sound a whole lot better than people have made it out to be. He will be at the meet on sunday if your able to make it.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck
in most of the threads that i read about megan racing here, the owners all ranted about the sound and that it sounded pretty damn good, but the issue that i kept on seeing pop up over and over again was that it rusted through very easily
I think i saw that 2. Which would be a problem for us new englanders but no for others.

I look at my car any chance i get big glass windows, and i alway look back at it when i am walking away.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by DuMKuH
I have the OBX catback Greddy SP replica and must say its the best I have ever heard both from inside the car and outside. It looks and sounds MUCH better than SP2 and other exhausts I've heard, only better(not really, same ) is an actual SP. Recommend it all the way!

About the install, I have installed mine on jackstands, it all depends what condition are the bolts out there and get the O2 sensor key(!).

Great investment :
Glad to hear this because I am thinking of getting this muffler after I order my b-pipe. I've heard the sp2 and couldnt believe how good it sounded.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:31 AM
Boosted Panda

Hmmm, I always heard good things about those exhaust setups, especially for the price.
The only issue i heard was the fitment was just a bit off, but nothing major.
Now the pacesetter exhaust is another story from what I hear and the pics Ive seen of it being rusted out.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Da'Burgh, Go Stillers!

I have the OBX and I love it. The only thing I had to change was the god-awful 4.5" tip. (Way to big) I got my hands on a Stillen tip and had a friend who does stainless welding hook me up. One thing about the sound, it all depends on if you have an aftermarket y-pipe or not. That makes a lot of difference in the sound. (And I'm guilty of the store front window thing. Also when my wife is driving the car and I'm following her I have to see the car from every angle. (highway of course))
Old 05-17-2006, 12:34 PM

dude i know..my dad drove my car and when he came back i was like DAMN THAT RIDE IS CLEAN AS ****.

its cause your always on the inside...so you dont notice your wheels and **** while your driving. its weird how that stuff works. spending money on wheels that you cant really enjoy while driving, its like for others' entertainment.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM

pics of the megan exhaust? what about internal piping diameter?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by ALSOUSA99MAXIMA
I look at my car any chance i get big glass windows, and i alway look back at it when i am walking away.

Thank God I'm not alone on this.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Wild for Width

I always get a glance in before I leave her for a bit.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the OBX on my car, have had it for probably 2.5 years already..

I wouldn't bother trying to install this yourself, you'll probably break the bolts and then have to drive to Midas sounding like a civic with a fartcan cuz your exhaust will be half attached to your car... Just pay someone to do it, should be no more than 75 bucks...

As for the sound, it's VERY quiet at idle, and the only time you really hear it is between 2k and 3k RPMs. If you are going up a hill, and your engine speed is in that range, it might get annoying cuz there is a slight drone... I'm pretty use to it by now though. I have the stock Y pipe btw..
Old 05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
pics of the megan exhaust? what about internal piping diameter?
I dunno if Megan and OBX are the same, but the OBX has 2.25 inch diameter..

Pics are here

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/195399