4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

midas ftl

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 01:48 PM

midas ftl

ok well i just took my front caliper off for the first time since midas re fixed it. first of all it fell off on the high way. ok so get this. the bolt that fell out last time that they said i messed with some time before... i never did. anyways they put the wrong size in again !!! its way to small the only reason it stayed in was because they used a bunch of locktite. not just that there are no shims on the brake pads. all the hardware is really really bent up and some is missing. wtf they are such *** holes. then when i call them they try and charge me and say that its not under warrenty.. lifetime warrenty my ***. well i just orderd a brake hardware kit that should be coming in today. but where can i get shims? i know that is probably why my brake makes a clanking sound.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:01 PM

ok there excuse is the calpier is old. and also the brake pads dont come with shims now a days. and also my caliper fell off because it was old.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:13 PM

another thing i just noticed the anti rattle thing that is built onto the brake pads fell off.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:37 PM

Wow very interesting story there. Some brake pad comes with shims, and some are just built into the pad. Good luck to you on those brakes. Next time you should do it yourself. Its very easy if not there must be someone around you that can help you out.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:32 PM

ya i am in the process of doing it right now just got new pads. and waiting on a caliper that should be at napa in the morning.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:18 AM
日産

Good luck changing calipers and pads. It should make you wonder why the heck you paid Midas to do such relatively easy task in the first place.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:52 AM

The brake hardware kit comes with shims and anti rattle springs. Actually, there isnt anything else in that package. OEM pads dont have shims on them but some aftewrmarket ones do. Aftermarket shims are not clipped on like OEM ones. They are attached with the same rivet that holds the steel backer. If you look closely at a HAWK HPS Pad, you will see the stell backer has a plastic piece on top. That is a shim. If you try to put OEM shims on a Hawk HPS you cant get the caliper on. (I know I tried) .. and I broke the shim off the pad trying. In the hardware kit is a small stainless shim that clips on the back of the one pad on the piston side so that the piston wont muck up the plastic shim.

Anyhow, Your Caliper mounting bracket might be screwed up. The bolts appear to be hard enough to strip that bit no problem. Especially with these jokers who overtourque the crap out of everything.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:56 AM
100% chingon

These places like Midas are just traps. They get you in there with a cheap price and a promise to do the job in 15 minutes or whatever. Then:
"Oh. While we were (fixing the brakes / changing the oil / whatever) we found these things that need urgent attention or (you're going to crash / be arrested) and they present you with a $500 list.
In once had to get my brakes fixed in a hurry in the U.S., wasn't at home where I could do it myself, and they basically blackmailed me by taking stuff off - the caliper piston - and then saying it was worn out and couldn't be put back on. Don't go to those places, they are just sucker traps. I put Pep Boys in the same category. Or worse.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:00 AM
tastey wheat

i took my car to midas to get some exhaust work done once, and won't ever do it again.. they seriously don't know wtf they're doing.

Midas FTL indeed.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:06 AM

i highly reccomend doing them yourself i did all 4 with pads and rotors, and i replaced my rear calipers in 2 hours. its really easy just some people would rather not get your hands dirty. and yes midas FTMFL i dont trust any of those places..
Old 05-19-2006, 08:59 AM

ya i actauly did the brakes on my toyota and my brother eclipse. the reason i had it taken in was my cars brakes were so shot and i was working 60 hours a week. at the time i saw paying a few hundred bucks alot better option then working on my car lol. i usaly do all the work myself brakes are cake. ive done them a few times. i just didnt have the time. thanks for the support guys i just about lost it with the whole crew at midas then i just left because it does no good to get angry at them it wont make them fix thier problems.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Doggah Bite...

Originally Posted by maximaintheface
ok there excuse is the calpier is old. and also the brake pads dont come with shims now a days. and also my caliper fell off because it was old.
dont give a *** if ur caliper is 25yrs old it should not be FALLING OFF, and age would not make it do so. if anything it being on there longer would make the bolts seize up and make it harder to remove...
Old 05-19-2006, 01:14 PM
shift_Puff

screw em'...i would have beat the lights out of him and tell him to fix it or he wouldn't be breathing anymore....DO BRAKES YOURSELF...TOOO EASY
Old 05-19-2006, 04:39 PM

lol ya like i said i am doing them i just havent had the time. busy day... i jsut want to sleep lol.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Project Ruby......

Originally Posted by clive
Don't go to those places, they are just sucker traps. I put Pep Boys in the same category. Or worse.
Pep boys is definetly worse.

When I was looking at the car I have now, I took it there for inspection....

Basically all they did was literally tell me to my face that there is a lot wrong with the car and the reason behind it is because it is a Nissan.

WTF!?? The last time I ever goto Pep Boys.

Maximaintheface, just get your stuff and do the brakes yourself. It's a straightfoward process.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:40 PM

lol ive said like 4 times already i did them myself. i just finished them it took mabye an hour and a half replaced the brake hardware a caliper and blead the brakes. also took it for a test drive and broke them in a little i need to bleed them again then go on the highway and raelly brake them in .