4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Smoked a GS-R... Got Smoked By An S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 09:42 AM

Well, this past weekend, I saw plenty of action....let's start with the Integra...modded GS-R 5spd...at a red light, he wanted to go, and I was behind him. I rode his tail, never gaining an inch- good launch(no spin), and perfect shifts.....ran twice- second time caught and passed him after 115mph all the way to 130mph. Here's thing- I had four other people with me- he had a skinny Asian girl. I guess those GS-R's aren't so hot after all...bring on that Type-R! Anyhow, I also saw some action with two other Audi A4's both 1.8T, and they proved to be no match off the line, nor up top at highway speed. BUT- here's the kicker, and what I wanted to ask you guys about. I was behind this sweet yellow Audi S4(got smoked by a blue one before) at a red light. He screamed, man! Anyone ever race one of these?
We ended up driving side by side later, and he kept on blipping his gas pedal, and giving me the thumbs up, but this was really no contest. What's up with these Audis? How fast are they? If I get rid of my Max, I guess I found my replacement!
Old 06-18-2001, 11:37 PM
SLOW

GSRs wont hang with a 5 speed max if both are driven with the same amount of skill... i beat up on 2 of them this weekend, I/H/E were their mods, and im stock as far as the engine goes. You said bring on the type R, but you might be biting off more than you can chew with that. I've heard of them running 14.6s bone stock, and actually seen one run 14.6 with just an intake as his only mod, even on 16" Axis wheels. We raced from 40-100 once, and he put about 4-5 lengths on me. The S4 is a 2.7L twin turbo V6, 250 hp stock... and the APR chip alone for them gives an additional 65 hp and something crazy like 80 or 100 ft-lb of torque. dont mess with them they will burn you unless you are really really fast for a maxima. oh yeah their AWD helps the launch too... so basically they have us beaten in every category except price.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:14 AM
JimW

S4's are pretty darn quick-->

Originally posted by SuperBlackSE
Well, this past weekend, I saw plenty of action....let's start with the Integra...modded GS-R 5spd...at a red light, he wanted to go, and I was behind him. I rode his tail, never gaining an inch- good launch(no spin), and perfect shifts.....ran twice- second time caught and passed him after 115mph all the way to 130mph. Here's thing- I had four other people with me- he had a skinny Asian girl. I guess those GS-R's aren't so hot after all...bring on that Type-R! Anyhow, I also saw some action with two other Audi A4's both 1.8T, and they proved to be no match off the line, nor up top at highway speed. BUT- here's the kicker, and what I wanted to ask you guys about. I was behind this sweet yellow Audi S4(got smoked by a blue one before) at a red light. He screamed, man! Anyone ever race one of these?
We ended up driving side by side later, and he kept on blipping his gas pedal, and giving me the thumbs up, but this was really no contest. What's up with these Audis? How fast are they? If I get rid of my Max, I guess I found my replacement!
An S4 stick (6 spd) can run the 1/4 in about 14.3-14.5 seconds. An S4 tip (auto) can run the 1/4 in about 14.7-14.8 seconds. You need some serious heat under the hood to run one of them.

Old 06-19-2001, 05:42 PM

My neighbor just bought a Black S-4 tip. He's getting a chip in a few months. It's a quality car, inside and out. Nice looking and fast. BOOST is what this car is all about. I would take one over an M3 since you can gain more from a $500 chip since it's a turbo (just increase the boost). Plus it's over $10K less. Anyhow, I plan to race him before he gets the chip...want to see how far he beats me by.
Old 06-19-2001, 05:54 PM
kineshi1

S4 no joke

The s4 would be the car i would buy if this was a perfect world...sigh...neway they run sumtin likea 5.3 0-60 so u have no shot, the handling is even more amazing, i test drove a S4 with a crackhead 20 year old employee of the dealership who was daring me to take the on ramp at 90,i did and the car dint even budge up an ill curve....if u are getting a car, the s4 is the way to go, the dealer here i heard now has the s8 and a soon to come s6 which is only available for now in europe...

Old 06-19-2001, 11:39 PM
Lyt97SC

speaking of S4's

i had the honor of messing with one this morning on the way to school. silver S4 with a middle aged male driver, we were pacing each other side by side in about 2nd gear and he punched it first, then i hit it (for those of you that have rode in my car, you know about my 2nd gear =D ) caught up near the end of 2nd and started passing in 3rd, but a bit of traffic ahead so we let off....poor (rich) guy got his feelings hurt today by a "stock" maxima with a stock exhaust.

Old 06-20-2001, 02:01 AM
edward079

forget about s4's how about those m3s?

The m3 does 60 in 4.8 and it does it WITHOUT a turbocharger! Its normally aspirated! Now that's a piece of work for our next car to be. too bad its not AWD!