4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sway Bar End Link replacement How to. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 PM

What are these???

Ok, I was dumb and I ordered my sway bar links from rockauto.com without checking if they are exactly the same as the one currently on the car...

The one I received are these:

which look way shorter than the ones that are on the car, which look like this:

At first I thought that I should not even think about this. But then again, if changing both sides, maybe the sway bar will be just a bit lower but still would work...

Any ideas? And if these are not stabilizer bar links for 4th gen maxima, what are they??? I think I also notices one of these on ebay selling as 4th gen sway bar links. Rock auto actually sells both kinds and call the first ones sway bar links and the second ones stabilizer bar links. Aren't these one and the same thing?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zack342

Once wheels are removed you will see the cluprit which is held into place by 2 14mm bolts on two places, one attaches it to the sway bar and the other to the LCA.

I also suggest loosening the sway bar bushings so that you can turn the sway bar ever so slighly to get the endlink out. 2 14mm bolts.

Thanks Zack. Those sway bar bushing nuts are in maaad tight. Apparently its not necessary to loosen according to Cardana.

Originally Posted by cardana24

The job was not hard but the nuts were not the easiest to get off. The only things I can add that helped me are: 1) use channel locks or vise grips to hold the nut on the the lower part where it goes thru the LCA...it spins when its a little loose and the nut will not tighten or come off with out holding it. Also they were helpful in holding the rod, so that I could tighten the top nut with out flexing the boot too much. 2) I took out my camber bolts as well once the sway bar end links were loose...the just fell right out after I did that.
I have not really driven the car yet. I'll post back if I notice any difference. My car had 165k on it and the bushings were all cracked up.
I hope this is a way around those sway bar bushing nuts. Let me know if it wonr work but Im gonna go cheeck it out.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:54 PM

Got it all changed out to MOOG without having to loosen the buching nuts. I just pulled the sway bar up a bit and had more than enuff leverage to get it out. BTW MOOG ships their links with 15mm nuts rather than 14mm.

old parts

Last edited by da God; 06-12-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mindlessoath
i bought the MOOG parts. they came with directions but its not like full directions.

i need to know some info because they are slightly differnt from oem.

they have some sort of L shaped valve on the back with a ball at the end of the valve (like a ball point pen). and it mentions of greasing the assem. where do i put in the greese and how do i put this L shaped thing in?

yes these are sway bar end links, they are differnt because they are from MOOG and they are not OEM. leme know more details, pics if ya can

ALSO, would an alignment need to be done after the install of these parts?
I posted picks of the MOOG Links. I left the L shaped valve on it, for adding grease later on down the line.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Project Ruby......

Well I just got done installing my Moog endlinks with ES bushings. I also installed the ES 20MM front sway bar bushings. It's a night and day difference. I really can't feel too much of a difference in the steering, but the whole front end feels a lot more solid. When I hit bumps its a stiff (not jarring) feeling, doesn't feel like it's rattling or loose anymore very tight feeling.

Tomorrow I possibly will put my subframe bushings in.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:28 PM

I'm having trouble removing the Nut on the outside on the lower control arm. It seems the inside stationary nut that you grab with a wrench has broke loose, so the whole thing spins, and I have nothing to grab onto to stop it from spinning when I turn the outside nut. I tried to squeeze it with a wrench, but of course Its not enough, I'm thinking hack saw right about now, only problem is i can barely fit my hack saw in there. Sawzaw? Please help any ideas?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zack342
I highly recommend this to anyone who has a higher mileage maxima. Like i said the parts were less than $30 and it took about 2 hours. I take my time and it takes a while for me to jack up the car.
Driving impressisons: Car feels tighter and best of all no noises or embrassing clunk.
DUDE Thanks, so much I've been trying to figure out what was making that stupid clunking noise, when I would go over bumps, and my max has about 127k on it, now I know

Thanks bud I will replace these ASAP
Old 10-31-2008, 07:17 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

ended up replacing the end links (as well as the suspension) on mine recently, same clunking sound that some of you guys mentioned is now gone

Originally Posted by alex1els
Ok, I was dumb and I ordered my sway bar links from rockauto.com without checking if they are exactly the same as the one currently on the car...

The one I received are these:

Alex that was what I ordered from rockauto.com and had installed on my Max, so far no problems w/ it

Last edited by Wills98MaxSE; 10-31-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:57 PM

I ordered mine from advanced auto parts, $19.99 per side. My old nuts stripped out completely, I had to take a sawzall and do work. But it was worth it, no more clunk, and car is tighter and quieter.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM

will the endlink replacement and new bushings get rid of my wheel hop?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by asianstyle
will the endlink replacement and new bushings get rid of my wheel hop?

Im wondering the same thing...I need to replace my endlinks, as well as the bushings in my LCA's...Ill probably just get new OEM LCA's and replace the endlinks with MOOG's this spring
Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM

I just changed my sway bar end links because my Maxima developed an annoying squeaking sound when I turned right or went over a bump. It was especially noticable at low speeds like when driving through a parking lot.

Some observations. If you have a squeaking noise and you suspect it may be something like a ball joint, control arm or other suspension component but cannot pin it down closely inspect and consider changing the sway bar end links. This is especially true if the end links are old. It is much less expensive and time consuming to change the end links then most of those other suspension parts and there is a good chance you will fix your problem. I was able to feel a vibration in the sway bar and the end links when someone pushed down on the car causing the squeaking noise. Otherwise I could not see any problems with the links. Only the link on the drivers side made noise.

There is a good chance you will not be able to remove the nut located at the bottom of the end link due to rust. The way to go is to get a Dremel tool and cut the nut off. It can be difficult to get at the nut with the Dremel but with some patience it can be done. Hope this info may be helpful to someone.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
Im wondering the same thing...I need to replace my endlinks, as well as the bushings in my LCA's...Ill probably just get new OEM LCA's and replace the endlinks with MOOG's this spring
hitek22, do you have a loud horrible harsh banging on the bottom of your car like someone is hitting it with a sledge hammer, I do when I shift really hard or pop the clutch? just wondering.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 AM

Of course I found this post after making my own article: http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Sway-Bar-Link
Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
Do you guys think this end link is shot?? Don't pay attention to the red arrow.
What does a traction bar do in our maxies? IS that mod worth it?

Last edited by S1cTech; 02-23-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 AM

I'm going to do this on my wifey's 140K SE. I looked at those things yesterday and they are definitely old and funky. What about replacing the sway bar bushings as well or the mounts themselves? Think it's necessary while you're in there? The sway itself had some rusting and flaking near these bushings on my car.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM

And another question, is it ok to have the wheels in the air when you do this? On my Suby, I had to use ramps to keep the suspension compressed. But I also didn't need to remove the wheel to get to the links...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:29 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Galager
And another question, is it ok to have the wheels in the air when you do this? On my Suby, I had to use ramps to keep the suspension compressed. But I also didn't need to remove the wheel to get to the links...
Yes...that's how you have to do it. Did you not read the writeup on the first page?

I'm going to do this on my wifey's 140K SE. I looked at those things yesterday and they are definitely old and funky. What about replacing the sway bar bushings as well or the mounts themselves? Think it's necessary while you're in there? The sway itself had some rusting and flaking near these bushings on my car.
It's hardly necessary unless they're torn up. And what do you mean the mounts themselves? You mean the metal brackets?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:47 AM

I sure did read the write up on the first page. I also read this write up:

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Sway-Bar-Link

where it says the suspension needs to stay compressed and I wasn't 100% sure where the jackstands were placed in the first write up...so I just wanted to clear up whether I need to worry about keeping the suspension compressed or if it's it ok to put the jackstand in the normal place behind the wheels?

Yeah I was talking about the metal brackets/rubber grommets that the bar actually swivels in. I would think it's a good idea to at least re-grease these while I'm in there.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 AM
No more Maximas...

I sure did read the write up on the first page. I also read this write up:

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-a-Sway-Bar-Link

where it says the suspension needs to stay compressed and I wasn't 100% sure where the jackstands were placed in the first write up...so I just wanted to clear up whether I need to worry about keeping the suspension compressed or if it's it ok to put the jackstand in the normal place behind the wheels?

Yeah I was talking about the metal brackets/rubber grommets that the bar actually swivels in. I would think it's a good idea to at least re-grease these while I'm in there.
It appears that the article is only having you jack up one side at a time, so compressing the suspension would likely just make it less of a PITA. With the whole front end up, nothing to worry about.

Well you could replace the bushings, but I don't see what you'd gain by replacing the bushing brackets.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 AM

^^Thanks, I ordered the parts, I'll do cartwheels if this gets rid of the clunking!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM

I changed them out tonight. Had to cut off both lower bolts. I replaced with all OEM parts, greased the sway bar bushings and all is well. Not a single rattle or clunk on the test drive.

This is the miracle cure!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Sway Bar end links/now trans axle leaks

Followed the directions in post and changed sway bar end links. Easy job until I noticed trans fluid leaking from seal around drivers side trans axle. Any ideas why this happened? Or did the seal become dislodged? Thanks for any help.

Noodles
Old 06-05-2009, 06:19 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by rneedles
Followed the directions in post and changed sway bar end links. Easy job until I noticed trans fluid leaking from seal around drivers side trans axle. Any ideas why this happened? Or did the seal become dislodged? Thanks for any help.

Noodles
Seals sometimes fail. More likely, it was damaged when the axle was installed, or swinging tools around in the area.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Where did you guys get your ES bushings?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 PM

I just finished the right side, what a PITA. No air tools needed, but a dremel or sawsall is.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Nrw

Originally Posted by NevadaJack_9
I just finished the right side, what a PITA. No air tools needed, but a dremel or sawsall is.
Same thing with mine, the joys of living in New England . But it was well worth it full ES swaybar bushings on mine now
Old 06-16-2009, 07:19 AM

^^Me too, and the car was from MA. What the hell do you use on the roads up there? Repairs aren't fun until the sparks start flying!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 AM

just changed my lower control arm,sway bar bushings, link bushings now i got a tighter suspension,,....
Old 08-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had that annoying noise for about 2 years. I actually looked forward to winter so I wouldn't be able to hear the noise . I changed the strut/spring assembly last year with no luck but thanx to everyone who posted.........I changed the link, went with MOOG parts and the annoying noise is finally gone!!!! Thanks again!!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just an update on the endlink replacement for those who still need to do this...

I ordered a pair just now from our good old friend Dave Burnette at Southpoint Nissan...came out to about $73 and change for the endlinks, bushings and hardware....apparently Nissan came out with new bushings that are MUCH stiffer than before (according to Dave B)...

Will try to get these on this weekend (as well as new axles from Raxles) and will keep people updated on how they feel...
Old 10-21-2009, 03:59 PM

I paid around $15 per link (2).
carpartswholesale.com

Actually I recently bought two control arms that included links and inner/outer tie rod ends, all brand new for less than $150.

Those bolts for the control arm were sure hard to get out though!

Oh, and for the links I had to use a sawzall.
In fact I had to cut out the ball joint nut, damn rust.

Last edited by SSzretter; 10-21-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by SSzretter
I paid around $15 per link (2).
carpartswholesale.com

Actually I recently bought two control arms that included links and inner/outer tie rod ends, all brand new for less than $150.

Those bolts for the control arm were sure hard to get out though!

Oh, and for the links I had to use a sawzall.
In fact I had to cut out the ball joint nut, damn rust.
Another great tool to remove the old LCA links is a dremel with a reinforced cutoff wheel.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM

what does the clunk sound like? does it happen when u turn the wheel or could u hear the clunk when parking?
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 PM

I put in Moog end links in my Max, definetely much beefier than the stock units.
With those endlinks, poly swaybar bushins and poly CA bushings, the steering feel is a LOT tighter.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by randy021186
what does the clunk sound like? does it happen when u turn the wheel or could u hear the clunk when parking?
The sound is either a clunk or squeak (my experience) when you are turning slowly and hitting some bumps.....VERY annoying. The sounds come from either side, and will not have a definative pattern... sometimes clunks other times squeaks.

These links are not hard to change...just get both tires off the ground by using jack stands and pull the tires off. Personally, I wouldn't mess with trying to remove the old ones with tools....CUT them off, like I said eariler DREMAL TOOL is my best friend.....I tried tools and it can be a PITA if you have a broken link. About a 2 hour fix (if you have problems pulling them off)and about $30 - $50 later your car will feel much better in the corners.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM
wxm

Just replaced mine yesterday. While I was there I also replaced the swaybar bushings. As it turned out, the swaybar bushings have really worn-out, resulted some clunking noises... Extra two bolts and $8 parts, definitely worth for the effort.

Here is the picture of new and old bushings.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 PM

Original thread didn't mention to compress the suspension, but the respond to this question and the wiki how to showed that the suspension need to be compresses. Does it matter?, what happen If you do it with wheels of the ground and suspension uncompressed?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That looks awesome man.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice write-up, hey.

One word on some of the non-oem links out there. Some of the aftermarket links have an internal hex on the end of the link stud for holding the stud static as you tighten the locknut. These links do not have the hex or flat that ends up on the opposite side of the arm flange from the nut. With this internal hex, you can't use a socket to tighten the nut - you gotta use an open end wrench.
This isn't a problem if you install the link with the control arm off the car. However, I found it impossible (practically )to tighten the nut on the car with an open end. I had to remove the LCA to install the link.
These were Deeza links from Rockauto - they seem to be decent quality. I noticed that some other OEM links are also internal hex.

And yes, the vast majority of my suspension rattle came from the sway bar links. The link ***** were very loose as it turns out after 155k in the '99 I30.
I also replaced ball joints, LCA bushings to ES bushings, innter and outer tie rods, new bellows and sway bar bushings (ES). The other lesson learned was get a proper inner tie rod tool and the right size crows foot. The Harbor freight tool worked great for me. The local loaner tools from OReilly and AZ were crap.

And maxima.org is a great resource for my 2 '99 I30s!

Quick Reply: Sway Bar End Link replacement How to. (pics)