4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help..how can i tell if i have abs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
seriously....mine too! hey Eric...are we the only 5spd fully loaded with ABS here in So-Cal? hehehe.....
Normally reside in Santa Barbara, 5sp, ABS, every option but heated seats.
But I intend to change that someday.

Originally Posted by ewuzh
I guess my max was a rare find
Haha I was thinking the same thing. Really, 5% huh...
Oh and hey, you know Rajiv right? He said something about you someday at sometime.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by svojs
Is it true?

Actually, the TCS saved my a** long time ago. I just switched to this brand new 99 auto Max in early 1999. My previous ride was a '91 sentra 5-speed SER. Thus, I still felt that I was driving the SER. I seldom hit brake while curving.

Someday I entered a sharp curve (heading to left) and did not brake, suddenly my right front wheel was out of paved surface and ran onto the gravel. I jerked my wheel to left and my vehicle began to skid. The tail of my vehicle tends to sway to my right. Then I jerked wheel to right then stopped. During this accident, I can feel the skid of vehicle body but it is still under control. And the TCS cut the driving power of front wheels properly.

Thanks for the excellent design of Max.
yes it is true all i30s have ABS, post above says only the 99s have TCS as an option. seriously though, I really do not think TCS saved your butt. You said you stopped which means that you used the brake. TCS only activates when you're on the gas and one of more of your drive wheels are spinning under power. It works by braking the spinning wheel and/or reducing throttle-- similar idea to a LSD. It really does not help with directional stability... that is the stability control which nissan calls Vehicle Dynamics Control(VDC) which probably was not avalable on any nissan until y2k.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by maxima_kenny96
thats how I found out I didnt
me too, my buddy was rushing me to the hospital and he slammed on the brakes and came to a skidding stop in the middle of an intersection at about 12:00 at night. The only other car at that intersection was a cop so my buddy pulled over immediately because he was a cop also. The other cop at the intersection SOME HOW didn't even see us, so my buddy put the car back into drive and continued to take me to the E.R. UNBELIEVEABLE!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by ewuzh
I guess my max was a rare find
i guess mine as well 5 spd with ABS
Old 06-01-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Willis
The other cop at the intersection SOME HOW didn't even see us, so my buddy put the car back into drive and continued to take me to the E.R. UNBELIEVEABLE!!!
He must be high on doughnuts... or was so nice he decided to ignore both of you
Old 06-01-2006, 11:07 PM

I thought all I30's have ABS?

EDIT just read above posts.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 PM

woooot i feal special....Fully loaded 98 SE 5-speed w/ ABS
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Really, 5% huh...
Oh and hey, you know Rajiv right? He said something about you someday at sometime.
Yup I know Rajiv. He also said something sometime about some maxima driving friend he had. I guess that someone must be you! We should all meet up in socal or maybe even norcal this summer.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah Right

Good luck getting just basic info from most of these stealership it's like getting into Fort Knox, everything is TOP SECRET. With these guys you have to PAY to find out basic things.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by mvass79
Good luck getting just basic info from most of these stealership it's like getting into Fort Knox, everything is TOP SECRET. With these guys you have to PAY to find out basic things.
You bumped a 10 year old thread?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:26 AM

I was reading the comments and was getting ready to give my abs story when I realized it was ten years old, then wondered how I got here. Then ptatohed made his comment, second 10 yr old thread today. Well it's alive for now.

Right after I bought my 97 Se at auction for $500.00 I checked it out, and I realized I needed an axle and took it to my guy (Iranian, but honest to a fault) because who puts on their own axle? Lol. Anyway, he asks me if I have abs, and I say yes. A few minutes later, the guy who is doing the actual work, rushes in and says there is no abs.

There is some chatter in a foreign tongue, with some hand waving and looking in the engine bay, after which it is determined that I indeed don't have abs. Frankly I was miffed, as I read that these cars went for around 25k new. Leather seats, sunroof, power everything, so I think that most people including myself just assumes they have abs.

I'm glad this thread was resurrected, as I'm sure there are many others who think they have abs when in fact they don't. I told that to Geico when I got insurance and it's still that way with them.

As for me, I'm getting ready to put in the drive axle myself, as no one touches the car but me now, as I have the tools and the knowledge NOW, all thanks to the org. I was going to sell this car when I first got it, looked like crap, interior destroyed, but slowly coming back.

The list of things I fixed is looong. but outside of that axle (no knowledge, no tools) and the water pump in Dec. (risk, reward, of dropping a bolt in the timing cover) I've done it all.

Last edited by Icemule; 04-06-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Icemule
I was reading the comments and was getting ready to give my abs story when I realized it was ten years old, then wondered how I got here. Then ptatohed made his comment, second 10 yr old thread today. Well it's alive for now.

Right after I bought my 97 Se at auction for $500.00 I checked it out, and I realized I needed an axle and took it to my guy (Iranian, but honest to a fault) because who puts on their own axle? Lol. Anyway, he asks me if I have abs, and I say yes. A few minutes later, the guy who is doing the actual work, rushes in and says there is no abs.

There is some chatter in a foreign tongue, with some hand waving and looking in the engine bay, after which it is determined that I indeed don't have abs. Frankly I was miffed, as I read that these cars went for around 25k new. Leather seats, sunroof, power everything, so I think that most people including myself just assumes they have abs.

I'm glad this thread was resurrected, as I'm sure there are many others who think they have abs when in fact they don't. I told that to Geico when I got insurance and it's still that way with them.

As for me, I'm getting ready to put in the drive axle myself, as no one touches the car but me now, as I have the tools and the knowledge NOW, all thanks to the org. I was going to sell this car when I first got it, looked like crap, interior destroyed, but slowly coming back.

The list of things I fixed is looong. but outside of that axle (no knowledge, no tools) and the water pump in Dec. (risk, reward, of dropping a bolt in the timing cover) I've done it all.
Awesome Icemule. I too did a water pump last year. And I too dropped a bolt inside! I used my long magnetic tool and was able to retrieve it.