4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Encounter with Z28. long...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 11:34 PM

No flames cause i dont have to lie to you all.

Going down 24th in Norman and i see a red Z28 with a big spoiler approach me and look at my maxima and my TRS RACING sticker and laugh. I really didnt care so i went on my way. He stayed right next to me with his exhause right in my ear( it didnt sound like a healthy z28 though). I just looked over and laughed a bit to. We come to a light and it turns red so we line up and he said lets give it a go and me who never backs down from a race agrees. I was almost 100% sure i was gonna get my A$$ kicked but i was up for it. I see the other light turn yellow and i know i have 2 seconds when it hits red. I put it into 1 and powerbreaked up to about 2k rpm and got a sweet launch. I shift to second at 40 and he is in my mirror.(What the hell he should of killed me i was thinking) i keep it to the floor and he doesnt pass me until late in the 50 mph's. I followed him and we talked for a while. His is a 97 auto Lt1. He gave mad props to the maxima and said that he has never seen that from a max before. He said he was to the floor the whole time and credited me with a fast car. We went on our ways and i was happy, I think that his z28 wasnt in the best of condition cause they are minus 6sec. 0-60. In no way am i saying i can beat all z28's, cause some idiot will try to say that and it will be like the stang' gt thing.Once again, auto and not as healthy. I will take what i can get. sorry for the lenght
Old 06-18-2001, 11:52 PM

Very impressive

You beat him with a completly stock max?! That is awesome! Even if his car wasnt that healthy and was an auto, you still whooped up on him for a while.

K
Old 06-18-2001, 11:55 PM

Re: Very impressive

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo
You beat him with a completly stock max?! That is awesome! Even if his car wasnt that healthy and was an auto, you still whooped up on him for a while.

K
i have a y pipe and a drop in k&n. i just want people to think its stock cause one day i am gonna have s/c and still look stock and just smoke everyone.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:10 AM

Thats cool man, I'm doing the same thing. My car will be(in a week or so) all go and no show. I think it is a very fun way to street race, just the look on peoples faces when they think they have been beaten by a stock max is worth the forgone glitz. But, I still plan to add the glitz some day, when I have the $$$$.

K
Old 06-19-2001, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo
Thats cool man, I'm doing the same thing. My car will be(in a week or so) all go and no show. I think it is a very fun way to street race, just the look on peoples faces when they think they have been beaten by a stock max is worth the forgone glitz. But, I still plan to add the glitz some day, when I have the $$$$.

K
yeah i hear ya
Old 06-19-2001, 08:12 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hey man, I believe ya.

HOWEVER, let add a few things here. I use to have a 94 Z28 with the automatic. Bonestock it ran a 13.9@99mph. With a y-pipe, catback, ECU, and lighter rims, I was running mid 13s.

He beat you after 50mph which sounds about right for the street. The LT1 is very hard to launch in auto form and even harder with the 6 speed. There is so much torque on tap at idle, that going WOT for till 30mph is pretty impossible. I can't count how many 15 second cars pulled me off the line to 30mph-40mph because I was spinning too much, but after I hooked up, I'd slingshot past them like they were standing still and would usually leave a nice patch of rubber and slight fish tail as I went past them in 2nd. No offence to you or you're car, but racing to 50mph isn't much of a race. The Z28 probably never got out of 1st (my 1st gear went to 55mph). I doubt I could put 1 car length on a well driven Civic Si to 50 mph in my Max. Make the race to 65mph and then you'll see me walking away pretty quickly.

Dave
Old 06-19-2001, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Hey man, I believe ya.

HOWEVER, let add a few things here. I use to have a 94 Z28 with the automatic. Bonestock it ran a 13.9@99mph. With a y-pipe, catback, ECU, and lighter rims, I was running mid 13s.

He beat you after 50mph which sounds about right for the street. The LT1 is very hard to launch in auto form and even harder with the 6 speed. There is so much torque on tap at idle, that going WOT for till 30mph is pretty impossible. I can't count how many 15 second cars pulled me off the line to 30mph-40mph because I was spinning too much, but after I hooked up, I'd slingshot past them like they were standing still and would usually leave a nice patch of rubber and slight fish tail as I went past them in 2nd. No offence to you or you're car, but racing to 50mph isn't much of a race. The Z28 probably never got out of 1st (my 1st gear went to 55mph). I doubt I could put 1 car length on a well driven Civic Si to 50 mph in my Max. Make the race to 65mph and then you'll see me walking away pretty quickly.

Dave
his only had 2 and drive, not a 1 gear. He said that would be too much power to the wheels. so he was in second. I wasnt bragging about racing to 50 i was just surprised at what happened. Yeah after 50 he was putting serious distance on me.... but 1/8 mile.. i might of had him.?
Old 06-23-2001, 11:15 PM
theslik1

Originally posted by G-ride95Max

his only had 2 and drive, not a 1 gear. He said that would be too much power to the wheels. so he was in second. I wasnt bragging about racing to 50 i was just surprised at what happened. Yeah after 50 he was putting serious distance on me.... but 1/8 mile.. i might of had him.?

Maybe...

I used to own a '94 Z28 (LT1), 4 spd. auto. Very difficult to launch fast from a stop...1/2 to 2/3 throttle until it hooked up, then floored it. Even then the LSD would have the rear end squirming through 2nd gear. Starting from a roll was another story. I doubt you would win starting from a roll. Good kill though, it helps keep the V8 guys on their toes!