4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coil over springs - What are they?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:02 AM

Coil over springs - What are they?

I am new to the suspension circuit. Can you guys/gals give me an idea of what the function of coil over springs and regular springs are?
Old 06-08-2006, 07:20 AM
V^___^V

coilover = height adjustable
springs = non-adjustable
Old 06-08-2006, 07:46 AM

coilovers:

springs:
Old 06-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Maxima Owner

TECHINCALLY....A coil over spring is any spring that goes over the strut or shock and not remotely mounted from the shock.....coilover suspension setups are a spring strut...usually ride height and dampening adjustable pair engineered together to work as one unit such as K-sport Coilovers....D2 Coilovers...or JICs
Old 06-08-2006, 08:22 AM
This ORG has saved me $$$$$$$$

Originally Posted by 915Max
coilovers:

springs:
Love the springs slogan, "Unleash the power" LOL!! Super power springs FTW!!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Juicey
Love the springs slogan, "Unleash the power" LOL!! Super power springs FTW!!
I never noticed that! LOL!

With these springs, you'll be adding 10-15 horses!! Plus you'll be able to take 90 degree turns at an unbelievable 100 mph!! THATS AMAZING!!!
You may be asking yourself "How is that!!??" well due to our advanced technology....it just does!!!!!!!!

CROWD: OOOOOOOOHH!!

sORRY fellahs.... I just pictured an Eibach infomercial
Old 06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling
Old 06-08-2006, 09:59 AM

Ok. So I can take out my old springs and use the full coilover springs???
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by blkmaxz95
Old 06-08-2006, 10:12 AM
shift_Puff

exactly, but coilovers are usually much less comfortable and much better on handling. So if the roads are nice and smooth where u are, go for the coilovers. Ohh and they are more expensive though....look for group deals
Old 06-08-2006, 10:14 AM

I m in alabama. the roads here are very good for driving.
not as smooth as some up north but, good. I have found some coil overs for 10 bucks.?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:21 AM

I have found some coil overs for 10 bucks.?

Are you sure its the whole set up?? Thats ridiculously cheap!! Check to make sure its a good brand and that its a complete set: sleeves, springs, strut bearing(i think thats what they're called..sorry if i'm not naming it right lol the piece that goes on top of the spring).
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM

I have new strut bearings, shocks and struts on the way and would like to change out the old springs. So I just need the coilovers, if I have everything else right>?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 AM
What was that?

not as smooth as some up north but, good. I have found some coil overs for 10 bucks.?
Don't get those off of ebay
Old 06-08-2006, 10:24 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...QQcmdZViewItem

This is what I found.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:24 AM

Caracicatriz: Why not? Are they not good quality? I don't have 300 bucks to get the good stuff.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:32 AM

IMO, if you dont have the cash right now...save for the good ones. If these coilovers are so cheap... chances are they're not good quality. You may end up having a real bumpy and annoying ride.

I say invest your money in some better ones since springs are constantly being abused.. Who knows, these might feel okay when you get them...but how long will they hold!?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:41 AM
What was that?

^+1
Don't go the cheap route when doing your suspension. I'd save some money and buy some good coilovers
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM

Then which ones should I buy???
Old 06-08-2006, 11:34 AM
I support for what?

Then which ones should I buy???
K-Sport or D2 Coilovers. Check the group deal section and the 4th gen classified section.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:03 PM
lee

you offered him $10?

Old 06-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am new to the suspension circuit. Can you guys/gals give me an idea of what the function of coil over springs and regular springs are?
was looking at the how 2's and saw this link, its better that what you are going to buy

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=455993

also my freind got a set of those for his civic springs in the rear sagged after like 2 months and the left front snapped, remember you get what you pay for!
Old 06-08-2006, 02:12 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

why do those ones in the ebay auction above have 2 spring perches? with just coilovers cleeves you really only need one, just wondering

not all coilover ride harsh. coilover springs do, but systm are not that bad if you have ti adjusted right. my k-sports rides 100% better than my s-tech and agx did.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

1. Technically, any setup where the spring fits over the shock absorber is a coil-over setup. But the term "coilovers" has come to mean some kind of spring setup that lets you change your ride height. People say "springs" to mean simple, direct replacements for your current springs.

2. The Ground Control kit that you showed us is really just a set of springs with sleeves such that you slot them over your shock absorbers and they can be adjusted to change your ride height. People call them "coilovers" anyway... but whatever.

Advantages:
Cost, height adjustability, and handling. This is absolutely the cheapest way to get a height-adjustable suspension, and the firm springs will all but eliminate body roll.

Disadvantages:
The ride SUCKS, and your car will start to skip off the pavement if you try to corner hard on rough surfaces. These are very, very stiff springs. Buying a new set of GOOD shocks will help keep the ride in control, but it'll still be really harsh. Using these with cheap replacement shocks will be much, much worse. Using them with your current shocks will be a total disaster, and unless you drive on glass, you'd be lucky if your shocks lasted more than a few thousand miles.

3. True coilovers are full kits, with new springs, new shock absorbers, and new mounting hardware that is all made to work as a set. All coilover kits will let you adjust ride height, and most will also let you adjust the firmness of the shock absorbers.

Advantages:
Handling, ride (relatively speaking), and adjustability. These kits come with springs that are just as stiff as (if not stiffer than) the Ground Controls, but the shock absorbers they also come with are matched to the springs, so they're good at keeping the ride under control. That's why this kind of kit gives you the best ride-to-handling ratio of any suspension setup.

Disadvantages:
Cost, noise (if you don't install them 100% correctly), and lifetime. Prices range from $700 to $1600, and these are not the things to buy if you want to install them and then not worry about them after 5 years and tens of thousands of miles of driving (knock on wood... I have a set).

4. About the cheap eBay "coilovers"... All I'm going to say is this: Stop for a second and think about the idea of spending $10 on something that holds your car up. Something that at best is going to have to sit there all day and night carrying 3000+ lbs of car, and at worst is going to have to bear having all that weight crash up and down on it as you hit bumps. If you think about that for long enough, you'll see why I don't need to say any more.

5. I should warn you that $300 is way, way, way too little to spend on modifying your suspension. First of all, if that's all you can afford, what are you going to do if something breaks? And second of all, $300 is only enough to get you springs. Whether it's $300 for the Ground Controls or $140 for Ksport GTs, you still won't have nearly enough left over to replace your shocks -- which you HAVE to do with new springs, because your current shocks were not designed to handle lower ride heights and stiffer springs. The minimum -- the BARE minimum -- is $450. That will get you the Tokico HP kit, which includes a complete replacement set of springs and shocks. It's not adjustable in any way, and it won't give you the best ride or handling, but at least it's a matched set from a good company with a decent warranty. And of course, if there is ANY WAY you can hold out and save up more than that, you WILL thank yourself later.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:12 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by d00df00d
1. Technically, any setup where the spring fits over the shock absorber is a coil-over setup. But the term "coilovers" has come to mean some kind of spring setup that lets you change your ride height. People say "springs" to mean simple, direct replacements for your current springs.

2. The Ground Control kit that you showed us is really just a set of springs with sleeves such that you slot them over your shock absorbers and they can be adjusted to change your ride height. People call them "coilovers" anyway... but whatever.

Advantages:
Cost, height adjustability, and handling. This is absolutely the cheapest way to get a height-adjustable suspension, and the firm springs will all but eliminate body roll.

Disadvantages:
The ride SUCKS, and your car will start to skip off the pavement if you try to corner hard on rough surfaces. These are very, very stiff springs. Buying a new set of GOOD shocks will help keep the ride in control, but it'll still be really harsh. Using these with cheap replacement shocks will be much, much worse. Using them with your current shocks will be a total disaster, and unless you drive on glass, you'd be lucky if your shocks lasted more than a few thousand miles.

3. True coilovers are full kits, with new springs, new shock absorbers, and new mounting hardware that is all made to work as a set. All coilover kits will let you adjust ride height, and most will also let you adjust the firmness of the shock absorbers.

Advantages:
Handling, ride (relatively speaking), and adjustability. These kits give you the benefit of having shock absorbers that are matched to the springs, which gives you the best possible ride for how stiff the springs are.

Disadvantages:
Cost, noise (if you don't install them 100% correctly), and lifetime. Prices range from $700 to $1600, and these are not the things to buy if you want to install them and then not worry about them after 5 years and tens of thousands of miles of driving (knock on wood... I have a set).

4. About the cheap eBay "coilovers"... All I'm going to say is this: Stop for a second and think about the idea of spending $10 on something that holds your car up. Something that at best is going to have to sit there all day and night carrying 3000+ lbs of car, and at worst is going to have to bear having all that weight crash up and down on it as you hit bumps. If you think about that for long enough, you'll see why I don't need to say any more.

5. I should warn you that $300 is way, way, way too little to spend on modifying your suspension. First of all, if that's all you can afford, what are you going to do if something breaks? And second of all, $300 is only enough to get you springs. Whether it's $300 for the Ground Controls or $140 for Ksport GTs, you still won't have nearly enough to replace your shocks -- which you HAVE to do with new springs, because your current shocks were not designed to handle lower ride heights and stiffer springs. The minimum -- the BARE minimum -- is $450. That will get you the Tokico HP kit, which includes a complete replacement set of springs and shocks. It's not adjustable in any way, and it won't give you the best ride or handling, but at least it's a matched set from a good company with a decent warranty. And of course, if there is ANY WAY you can hold out and save up more than that, you WILL thank yourself later.

very well said
Old 06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the Ground Controls kit and its not nearly as bad as everyone says it is. It just depends on the type of roads you have in your area. Here in Cali the roads here are pretty decent. On smooth roads they ride JUST LIKE STOCK. On bumpy roads you can feel it a bit more. Just don't have them on stock shocks for too long or else your car will look like a cheap Civic with its front end bouncing a billion times on even the smallest bumps.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE97
On smooth roads they ride JUST LIKE STOCK.
News Flash: If the road is smooth, ANY suspension rides just like stock...
Old 06-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah sure I know that, my point is the GC's aren't as nightmarish as most people say. Maybe I just have a really high tolerance for them or maybe I have the wrong idea on what harsh is. To me harsh is like the car feels like it just collided with something when going over bumps. In my area thats not too much of a problem so I am fine with the GC's.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE97
Yeah sure I know that, my point is the GC's aren't as nightmarish as most people say. Maybe I just have a really high tolerance for them or maybe I have the wrong idea on what harsh is. To me harsh is like the car feels like it just collided with something when going over bumps. In my area thats not too much of a problem so I am fine with the GC's.
i have had ground conrols and they ride horriable, they are stiff as all hell and judt like people say the cars skips on bumps. there is a real ridgid part fo road on my way to work everyday that was hell and no way to avoid it. i would no reccomend them at all. but they acually did handle quiet well
Old 06-09-2006, 06:24 AM

I just installed my D2 coilovers. The ride is drastically different. I could roll over a penny and would probably feel it.performance and handling is oustanding, but what you gain in performance, you sacrifice in comfort.I you are looking for a comfortable ride, then a matched shock spring setup would probably be your best option. H&R supposedly have an incredible smooth ride with a nice lower stance. But I've heard of some people's threads on cheaper coilovers(dropzone) giving in and the entire spring drops to 0 setting. Imagine that happening while driving on one corner. Not good. If you want to change your suspension...do it right, or you may really regret it in the end by losing your ride altogether.