4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cars acting funny....idle drops, acceleration dies out

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Cars acting funny....idle drops, acceleration dies out

Hey guys, just a question, any help is appreciated, been researching some. My car has been acting funny lately. It seems to be after a rain/during a rain. I have a CAI, I just replaced the filter after the last rain, figured that was the cause, but this is whats going on now. The car idles kinda oddly. When I start it, the idle will be at or around 700-800, like normal. After driving a bit and putting in the clutch, the idle will drop to 400 or so and then rebound, eventually, sometimes immediately, sometimes after a while. If the car is left to idle it will mostly idle normally, drop occassionally and eventually return. My ECU threw 15.7 and 7.6. BS codes. I cleared them, then it threw 5.5, no fault detected. So I'm thinking its still drying out the MAF or something. Adding heat to the gas fixed this problem once before, havent gotten all the gas run down to do it again. When accelerating at around 5500-6500 the car will sort of hold itself back, I know my car, it should be blasting along, this is if I just punch the gas, it will jump up and then die off, sometimes if I hold the gas it the power will kick up. If I pump the gas a little it will usually not do this hesitation. So is it coil packs? Just needing a little more drying out? Please lmk what you think.

PS. Ordered the one piece head lights today Maxima is getting to where I want it to be...
Old 06-13-2006, 07:16 PM
DARQ MX

Check the following...

Spark plugs, Wires, I-packs

Gas, Gas pressure, Injectors

Vacuum lines, IIAC(Idle air)

Now, did you say this does this while there is no load? Like in neutral?

Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 PM

I dont usually rev my car that high while in neutral....the motor sounds like it should be gaining power, increase in sound of intake exhaust, and the rpms never drop...so its hard to say
Old 06-14-2006, 02:40 AM
Maintenance Monster

Is your MAF still plugged in?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:31 AM
DARQ MX

He would get a check engine like if his MAF was not in,

Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 AM

sounds like symptoms of a dirty TB they get pretty filthy ridiculously quick when you install a CAI clean the TB see if that helps.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. I'll clean the CAI when I get off work, thats the easiest thing to do, and I really do believe that its air intake related, so it seems logical. But it could very well be gas too as suggested, I just changed the fuel filter, it was nasty =( the gas was like brownish rusty, had to be done. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll report back with the cleaning of the tb and let ya all know. I appreciate your help.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys, I have a Nissan Cefiro(Maxima) 1999 2.5 petrol engine(A33) for 2 months.
It all worked fine till today. Here is the scenario:
-I parked the car on the side of the road just to fix something on the back seat then when I turned to the back seat I pushed the acceleration by accident.... pushed it to maximum for 1-2 seconds.
Then the car stopped.
When I want to start the car it will start without any problem and the rpm goes up to 2000rpm and drops to 500rpm and again up to 1000rpm then down to zero and dies. If you try to accellerate you can keep it alive for extra 2 seconds(4 seconds in total).
I can't go anywhere with the car, it dies after 2 seconds.
The engine sounds like yesterday or before(nice sound) just the whole thing dies.
I haven't change anything on the car since I bought it. I checked the air filter and it needs a new one but it should not die just like that if this morning all was OK. The car never had a bad sound, always nice smooth running and very quiet engine.
Did anybody met a similar situation?
Thanks in advance
Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 AM

sounds like it could be the MAF. My car did similar things a few years back, was intermittent and unpredictable. I wanted to drive it into a tree. bought a new MAF for something like $130 put it on in 5 minutes and it's never done it since. You might try getting some MAF cleaner from the store and seeing if it helps... may not fix a faulty MAF, but worth a shot.

if that's not it, could be fouled injectors or perhaps fuel pressure regulator, maybe bad fuel pump. my money is on MAF though. G/L!!

***sorry, was viewing in a different mode. didn't realize i was responding to a 7 year old issue. hope you got it fixed Saddles! Cefiro, not really sure what you did. Haven't seen that before. good luck to you too!

Last edited by floydthedog; 02-17-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried few things before darkness.
I tried to start the car with cold engine but just the same problem(running for 2 seconds).
I removed the air filter and then all changed. It started and run well. I cleaned the filter(I'll buy a new one tomorrow) and now runs again....but!!!
When I accelerate up to 2000-2500rpm it starts coughing.
I made few kms to see how it runs on the motorway but I barely managed to reach 60mph(90kmph). When it starts coughing I lift off my foot and wait till it comes down to 1500-2000rpm then it accelerates again a little and step by step it speeds up.
Normally at 30mph(40kmph) it is coughing.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Some update on my Cefiro.
I changed the air filter and priced up few parts.
A new MAF sensor is US$288. A new ignition coil is US$202.
Also I did try something. I removed the MAF sensor and the problem is still there, no difference. The sensor is almost just plastic(4 inch long or so) and a less then a quoter of inch is a metal wire visible that looks clean and shiny.
I made a time for a computer diagnostics for the next week at my local Nissan dealer. I hope they find the problem. I'm guessing around the ignition coils and maybe the MAF sensor.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with my 98, changed all the stuff everyone said I should... Turned out to be a leaking intake gasket (I was told that couldn't be the problem)... runs great, still on the road.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Selling a used OEM MAF for $48 shipped, cleaned with MAF cleaner already, it's ready for action, great price.