4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Installing air horns

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installing air horns

Last week I picked up two Stebel Nautilus Series Air horns. These are electric horns, the link on them is at the end of the post. I was curious as to if anyone has a DIY on installing these. The instructions provided arent that easy to follow, seeing as its just one diagram. I can get these installed by a very reputable person for a good price, I just wanted to try and get this done myself. So if anyone has experience with installing one of these and could tell me a few tips I would appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm

Click Products, then Electropneumatics, then Nautilus Series

Thanks.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:50 AM
100% chingon

Connect the original horn cable to the new horn relay coil and the other coil terminal goes to ground. Tap into the +cable from the batt and wire it to the relay contact, via a 30A inline fuse. Other side of the contact goes to the air horn + , and the horn - is connected to ground, that's it. If you didn't get a horn relay with the horns, buy one. Do NOT run air horn compressor from the original horn wire.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:59 AM

Well there you go. And after you connect it take some sound clips.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by clive
Connect the original horn cable to the new horn relay coil and the other coil terminal goes to ground. Tap into the +cable from the batt and wire it to the relay contact, via a 30A inline fuse. Other side of the contact goes to the air horn + , and the horn - is connected to ground, that's it. If you didn't get a horn relay with the horns, buy one. Do NOT run air horn compressor from the original horn wire.

Sounds good, I'll give that a try. Would I have to do anything different seeing that I am installing 2 of these? Will I need a bigger fuse or anything? And Yes, it came with a relay. Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:28 AM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by XtinctWS6
Sounds good, I'll give that a try. Would I have to do anything different seeing that I am installing 2 of these? Will I need a bigger fuse or anything? And Yes, it came with a relay. Thanks for the help!!
Two of these? Two sets of air horns, you mean? Bloody hell... No, a 30A fuse should be enough for both I should think, small compressor takes about 12 amps I think, but if you end up repeatedly blowing the fuse put a larger one in, say 40 or 45A. Use decent gauge wire, say 12G or 10G. The reason is that the compressors have a high start-up current and if you use narrow gauge wire, the volt drop will cause the compressors to lag, and when you need the horn, you need it NOW, not like whoo -- whoo --
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Back from the dead

haha ive got one of those crappy 25 dollar kits from autozone.... The compressor gets the job done but the horns are pus5y. I just took the wire from the front horn to the + side on the compressor, grounded it, and replaced the fuse in the car with a higher amperage to cope with it. Works perfectly.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by clive
Two of these? Two sets of air horns, you mean? Bloody hell... No, a 30A fuse should be enough for both I should think, small compressor takes about 12 amps I think, but if you end up repeatedly blowing the fuse put a larger one in, say 40 or 45A. Use decent gauge wire, say 12G or 10G. The reason is that the compressors have a high start-up current and if you use narrow gauge wire, the volt drop will cause the compressors to lag, and when you need the horn, you need it NOW, not like whoo -- whoo --

Thanks Im going to try and get these done this week, I'll post up again if I have any trouble. Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:02 PM

This is exactly what I have, no compressor or anything like that.Here is the exact photo. Does this effect anything?
Pic doesnt show up, heres the link

http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merch...ack%20horn.jpg
Old 06-18-2006, 09:43 PM

I used to have 2 train horns instaled in the trunk. Don't know where my buddy got them from, but we got bored one day and made a nice lil setup with 2, 3 foot train horns, a portable air tank, and some length's of hose and valves. Needless to say it was fun while it lasted, and they were deafening given they resided in the trunk. But when i used them, you could hear them from about 4 miles away....literally!(we measured).

There is some active train tracks i live near, and people love to sit on them during red lights. Personally I never do it for obvious reasons. Well i will leave the rest to your imaginations as to what i liked to do at the train tracks with 2train horns at my reach....
Old 06-19-2006, 05:21 AM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by natricks1
I used to have 2 train horns instaled in the trunk. Don't know where my buddy got them from, but we got bored one day and made a nice lil setup with 2, 3 foot train horns, a portable air tank, and some length's of hose and valves. Needless to say it was fun while it lasted, and they were deafening given they resided in the trunk. But when i used them, you could hear them from about 4 miles away....literally!(we measured).

There is some active train tracks i live near, and people love to sit on them during red lights. Personally I never do it for obvious reasons. Well i will leave the rest to your imaginations as to what i liked to do at the train tracks with 2train horns at my reach....
Ah this is on a par with my idea for fun at zebra crossings in the UK that make a special electronic beeping sound to tell people to cross. One day I noticed some blind people waiting for the sound. Being an electronics freak I thought it would be pretty easy to build my own hand-held device to make the same sound...
I like your idea for train horns. Great. Just what I need to blast those ***** in H2 Hummers out of the way. I would have put some truck horns on but the compressors are 24V.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:25 AM

any info on not havcing a compressor? Should I still use the same size fuse, and wire?
Old 06-19-2006, 02:05 PM

This is in a nissan sentra. Well if you wanna see the fun of it check this vid.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...BAC8DAFC72.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....A-59455DA39AD4
Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 PM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by XtinctWS6
any info on not havcing a compressor? Should I still use the same size fuse, and wire?
Yes, but no compressor = not air horns. Won't be much, if any, louder than the OEMs.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Back from the dead

Too bad those are locomotive horns, and the systems are ~600 bucks
Old 06-19-2006, 08:24 PM

Those vids are great, exactly the reaction we used to get when we opened em up. I wish i had room in the engine compartment to mount them, i would definetly make them a perminent fixture!!!

As far as the price being $600, I could see that. That's when having truly redneck friends comes in handy!! Had 2 and didn't pay a cent for em.