4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing Drivers Side Cv Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 03:35 PM

Changing Drivers Side Cv Shaft

I need to change my drivers side CV Shaft Tommrow. Does anyone have some good instuction on how the process goes, what to look out for, and any helpful tips. WHen I buy the part, is there a specific type i have to get?

thanks
john
Old 07-15-2006, 04:07 PM

Its been a while but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Its pretty easy. Remove the wheel. Unclip the brake line so there is some slack. Remove the 2 strut bolts. Remove the big nut connecting the axle to the wheel. You need a big socket for this. I forget the size but make sure you have the right one before you start. Make sure the ratchet is long and have a long bar available to wedge between the lugs to stop the hub from turning. Once the pin and nut are off, you should be able to pull the hub down while bending the axle at its joint. Its tight but it comes off. You may beed to tap the axle with a hammer. Once the hub is off the axle it will hang down. You may need to support it. I forget. I'm pretty sure the axle is held in the transmission by a clip on the end of the axle. So, no unbolting on the driver's side. You have to tap the axle out of the tranny though so that the little locking mechanism disengages. I remember using some kind of crobar as a lever. It was a little hassle but not too bad. It will pop out with some wedging. You will lose precious tranny fluid when you do it so be ready to catch it with something. The new axle taps in. The trick is making sure its locked. The first time I did it I didn't tap it in all the way and leaked tranny fluid. I don't know exactly what the trick is. Its not that bad though. Oncethe new axle is locked in the tranny you insert the other end into the hub. Its grooved so it has to go in just right but its not hard to do. Put the big nut and pin on I don't know how many lbs of torque but get that thing on good and tight. Put everything else back together. Replace any tranny fluid lost and you're on your way. MAke sure you have everything you need before you start. Its not tough. The second time I did it I was dine in an hour. I had to make a couple trips to the parts store for the right socket for that big f-in nut the first time.

That's my rough description. I'm sure others can help or you might want to pick-up a $10 manual. Have fun.