4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hey all ...(4 Questions from a newb)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Fre$h_TurK

Hey all ...(4 Questions from a newb)

hey all i'm 18 n a newbie to the site.. i had my car handed over to me from my dad ( my mom used it ) ... n now that she has a ford exp. the max is mine... therefore i really want to do something with it..or ask u all if i should really bother with it or not... (please keep in mind that i'm a newbie whos eager to learn )

well the car is almost at 118.000 miles and i think its passed it time to modify... ok... i will list my questions below

1) I think that kind of a milage is too much for maximas (even tho i mechanic told me that the car is in a good condition.. except the breaks)...so the question is... is it worth to spend money on?

2) i have a stock bose system(6 speaker which i think is pretty loud...(everything shakes in the car and the door,my cds...etc. make little noises... going louder would make me happier???... i was thinkin of a 1000 watt sony explot amplifier n subs..saw them at wallmart...lol

3) i really need a new pipe....does someone have a video of Budget Y-Pipe?? i really need it

4)what is the process of lowering the car (things needed to lower the car) ... and ...should i lower it if i buy these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-Ri...08539486QQrdZ1
or these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-AD...07152703QQrdZ1
or these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-wh...08664445QQrdZ1

shortly they're 17,18 and 19 inches(and it says in each that they fit) .. ..... would it be better to get those and lower or will they be alrite witout lowering.. ?

ok these 4 questions are all i can remember for now..i will post more later as i get more questions in my mind... if you could answer them in order or give number to your answers like i did to my questions i'd appreciate it... Thank You all.

.................................................. ......

edit:

vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fvWA5QsA00
sound did not come out that good ..sry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvNByb3f9NQ

pics:
1) http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...0AZNWTdu4bsmLg
2)http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...0AZNWTdu4bsmLg
3)http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...0AZNWTdu4bsmLg

Old 07-16-2006, 07:38 AM

No car is ever past its time to modify.

1) 118k is still very young for a Maxima, maintain the car and she will last into the 300k. Most people sell there car or total it before the engine actually goeso on them because of old age.

2)We wont know what will make you happier you have to decide that for yourself.

I hear other peoples systems and it sounds damn nice, but end of the day I'm happy with my Bose unit and would rather put my money towards performance. Maybe once I'm done with performance (yea right) I might think about upgrading the sound

3)There is a sticky at the top of the page with clips of exhaust setups. I believe just a Ypipe stock exhaust is on there, not too sure.

4)I would lower the car before adding wheels, unless your going to do it all at once. The nice wheels but stock suspension w/ huge wheels gap has never looked good to me.

The process for lowering the car is buying the proper struts and pair them with a good set of springs that match your taste. Install and enjoy.

Check the stickies and or even google search say "suspension maxima.org" you'll get a lot of links to various old threads, there bound to be full of answers you may have or may not have.

Remember larger wheels will hurt acceleration as well as gas consumption. Plus I see those ebay wheels all the time for cheap, never bought one or meet someone who bought them but I think there only down side is they probably weight a good bit.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:38 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Don't do anything, because you think 118,000 is too many miles. You've answered your own questoin, leave it stock and drive it like that DONE.

/thread
Old 07-16-2006, 07:50 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

1) that milage is nothing. If the car is maintianed well it will last another 80k with little issue. My dad has nearly 160k on his 96 auto. Biggest fix was the axles and starter which are still easy and cheap.

2) I wouldnt go with anything from Walmart unless its free. With the Bose system you need to remove everything and replace it with regular speakers, HU, amps, and even subs. Go to the audio section for help in that department.

3) There is an exhaust sound clip sticky somewhere. A Y pipe is a Y pipe. Get the one you like. I have a Warpspeed from the GD over 2 years ago. It was $160 and its still great.

4) I cant tell you what rims to buy, gererally 225/45/17, 235/40/18, 245/35/19 on a rim with the offset from 45mm to 35mm and widths of 7.5 to 9.0 are used. When you lower a Max you have to be sensable. Any spring lower than 1.7" will hit the bump stops. Even Eibachs 1.5" drop with the highest rate out there hits the bump stops. The better springs are Eibach, H&R, Progress, Tein H tech, and Tokico. For struts go with an adjustable. Konis are the best out there, and are highly underrated. Illuminas are 2nd best and AGX are a good deal but harsh riding. If anything is worn out you need to replace it when you have all car apart, the dust boots are usually ripped. Sometimes the front upper strut mount falls apart since it has rubber inside it.You'll just have to inspect the parts before you dive into it. That way you have everything you need. You shouldnt need a camber kit with drop springs. True coilovers are also an option. Ksport, D2, JIC, or Tein Basics. All but the Teins are direct swap outs. The Teins reuse the stock upper mounts and dont have camber plates.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:57 AM

From experience... drive the car for a couple of months at least and get to know it. Then mod it in whatever way you feel fit. Just don't waste too much money, and if you're gonna do it, do it right. Like, don't just buy lowering springs and then say you'll replace the struts later or something like that. Also for rims everyone iwill say 18 and 19" is the best looking etc... but seriously, your 18 and tires get expensive once you go over 17 inches, and personally 17 inches looks great to me, plus big rims slow your car down. ( I have stock 16 inchers from a 2000 and I don't think they're bad). If you have the money get the budget Y. I wish I had done that back when I had the money
Old 07-16-2006, 08:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Haha... It's a good thing I didn't listen to some of the replies posted here. My first mod was at 105k: ACT clutch. I've done some stuff after that and I'm around 170k now.

I got rims first before lowering because I got them at a great price. I couldn't pass up the opportunity, plus the tires on my hubcap rims were worn down. I needed tires, I was offered tires for cheap. Why not?!

As for lowering springs, I got them for free. Threw them on stock struts till the struts wore out. If I didn't get the springs for free, I woulda gotten struts and not lower... And invest in a rear sway bar. Right now I'm lowered w/struts w/o rear sway bar, which I don't think I need.

As for the comment about Walmart, he didn't say why he wouldn't buy a Sony setup from Walmart. As far as I kno, Sony does not make a separate productline for Walmart. So buying from Walmart is probably the same as buying elsewhere.

Good luck dood!

Jae
Old 07-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Donating i30 Owner

1) milage.... no... i have i30 5speed with 139... long as its kept lubed and maintained its okay..

2) i have a bose system.. i love it.. if you get the 99 bose unit without the pushbutton treble and bass buttons the sound does improve... (i know it sounds hard to believe but it does work)

3) the best for pipe etc would be cattman... catmann everything for best quality...

4) lowering u can do coil overs (KSPORT most trusted here on the org) or springs(dpending on height and stiffness...) along with tokico illumina shocks and sturts will give you best performance/ comfort...

5) before you ask you can check the FAQ and you will find **** loads of info... all categorized and you would be impressed at teh things you find...
Old 07-16-2006, 08:55 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The bose sounds no different with diff bose hu's don't believe the hype. The Bose can be replaced while still keeping the bose speakers you just need a 70-7551 harness to run the preouts through.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:39 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

funk that im droped on teins s techs and i havent hit the bump stops yet. get the springs you want. my max is dunked and i like it that way. the car handles like it on tracks now. (except for the tires but im gonna wear them out b4 i get rims + tires)

your mileage means your just breakin in please if you maintain the car your set.

most work on a maxima is customwork but try

customenterprise.com
redlinegoods.com
warpspeedperformance.com
stillen.com
internetautomart.com

people have retrofitted the 2001 variable intake to our motors and few have even done a 3.5 swap. its involved and if you dont wanna do it yourself ask tavarish (thats his sn) he will do it for a small fee of 2K. plus the motor cost of 600 bucks.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
funk that im droped on teins s techs and i havent hit the bump stops yet. get the springs you want. my max is dunked and i like it that way. the car handles like it on tracks now. (except for the tires but im gonna wear them out b4 i get rims + tires)
clearly you are a
Old 07-16-2006, 12:16 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by JSutter
clearly you are a
have you lost your mind ?

my max is the farthest thing from rice.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Fre$h_TurK

Here's vids and some pics..

vidD: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...d892ddfd70.htm
sound did not come out that good ..sry

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...53e13d9e70.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...750f6abdb1.htm

pics:
1) http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/...5322.jpg&s=f10
2)http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/...0362.jpg&s=f10
3)http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/...4399.jpg&s=f10

Ok i read the replies and i thank u all..

MDeezy -" No car is ever past its time to modify." lol ... ur rite
- I like the system as well... but for example when i give the volume to the bak speakers i feel like they could have been a lil louder.. im still satisfied with it tho
-I checked the stickies but the links for the BUDGET one dont work
- When it comes to wheels i wanna go with 17 inches..i think they're decent... i really dont wanna go into the process of lowering the car but if i really get a good price n a comment..i might go for it

nismos14 - ...ur rite but i've had no problems with the car so far...we'll see wht happens..thanks tho.
- 70-7551 harness .. ??? whats that mean?

JSutter - u said auto...i have auto too....i was thinkin not to do anythin to the car cuz its automatic...not havin fun drivin it would kill me u know..
- front speakers sound really good...why do i have to remove everything ?? and yea subs n amp would be awesome..im thinkin about it..
- They said Budget Y pipe is amazing in the forums...i just would like to hear it .. u know...then decide what to do
- u confused me with the rims...i'll use a dictionary and read again( i'm a foreign and been here for only 3 years .)

the_3d_man - I've driven the car b4...but i just had it handed over to me
- ur rite ..i dont wanna slow down the car .. i might go with 17 inches..they look big enough n nice... (i have a stock 15 inches)
- if i have the money for BUDGET Y ?.... how much is it ??

HomerMAC - yea i heard Cattman is a good choice... and im going to read the FAQs.. thanks..

Thanks guys..and excuse my grammar please

Old 07-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Fre$h_TurK

oh btw... tonite i decided to keep the car for at least 2 years...unless any major problems occur

Old 07-16-2006, 06:34 PM

2 year sounds short but will feel long. Do you want to have a suspension? Bigger fancier wheels? sound? cosmetics?

If you just want to drive the car and trade it in or sell in 2 years then no need to do mods unless you plan on taking them off and replacing with the stock and selling.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:49 PM
96SEsleepa

FUCC DAT BRO!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS AN AUTOMATIC !!!!!!!...GET RID OF THAT ****T

U WANNA SELL IT?.....

Old 07-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Fre$h_TurK

Originally Posted by MDeezy
2 year sounds short but will feel long. Do you want to have a suspension? Bigger fancier wheels? sound? cosmetics?

If you just want to drive the car and trade it in or sell in 2 years then no need to do mods unless you plan on taking them off and replacing with the stock and selling.
umm maybe just wheels and sound...n head/back lights..

suspension ...idk

..and i cant sell the car with the mods on ?

Old 07-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Fre$h_TurK

Originally Posted by 96SEsleepa
FUCC DAT BRO!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS AN AUTOMATIC !!!!!!!...GET RID OF THAT ****T

U WANNA SELL IT?.....
i could sell it but i dont want to spend money on a new car...gonna be workin for college n ****...n i'd just keep the maxima..n put some mods on... oh and yea..automatic sucks..

Old 07-16-2006, 06:59 PM

You can sell with mods but most people wouldnt want too and it does reduce the value of the car. Best thing to do would be to part out the mods put stock back on and sell the car. This method is best for getting the most value for your car as you can, plus selling your mods and getting something for them also.

Well there are many wheels you could look into and they will be easy to re-sell when the itme comes, plus is the next vehicle uses the same bolt pattern and offset they could go to the next car.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Fre$h_TurK

oooh i got it.. its different than where i come from.. how much u think the car i have would worth ?... Edmunds.com said its around $7000 and kellybluebook.com said its around $6.700

Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow thats like the same situation i had. My mom got a new car and gave me her '96 maxima that had 118k on it. I got a budget y-pipe and pioneer system put in. Left rest stock. But i didnt plan on selling it in 2 years and since mods lower value of car a lot I wouldnt really do any if i was you. Or at least keep all the stock parts if you decide to. But it got totaled and I got 4723 from the insurance company for it.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Black Maxima

Get some K-Sports. That's the best aftermarket money you can spend on your car. This is what they do to your car:

Old 07-16-2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
Get some K-Sports. That's the best aftermarket money you can spend on your car. This is what they do to your car:

what? make the hood shiny?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fre$h_TurK
i could sell it but i dont want to spend money on a new car...gonna be workin for college n ****...n i'd just keep the maxima..n put some mods on... oh and yea..automatic sucks..
slap a 5spd in that bad girl and you wont sell it.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Black Maxima

Yup

And that was taken before I washed it.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:26 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
people have retrofitted the 2001 variable intake to our motors and few have even done a 3.5 swap. its involved and if you dont wanna do it yourself ask tavarish (thats his sn) he will do it for a small fee of 2K. plus the motor cost of 600 bucks.
Thanks for the plug, the $2k price tag is including the motor, though.

:-D

and to the original poster, 118k is nothing for this motor. Read up on this forum, and you'll learn alot. I didn't know jack about cars before i researched, and now i'd say I know a little more than I need to know.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:57 PM

Yup

And that was taken before I washed it.

lol, i guess i should trade my h&r's then.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:23 AM

118k miles is nothing for a maxima, i have almost 132 on mine, but there are plenty of MODDED maxima on the forum with 200+

you got a stock bose system? keep it, put the $$ towards performance (maybe just dynamat the car for better sound proofing... its freaking bose)

search the stickies, budet y pipes are good stuff.

lower the car first before getting some rims, the car will handle a lot better, and look a lot better. a good spring/shock combo would be ideal, unless you're a baller and can get a set of coilovers

i personally think 17s are the best blend of looks/performance/comfort... rmbr the larger your wheel, the more rotational mass (the slower your car to accelerate)... pretty sure the standard is for every inch bigger your rim is (with the same width) you have to drop 4lbs for the same acceleration as the smaller rim your comparing it to.

the largest id ever go with is 18s which are just for looks IMO anything larger belongs on a truck
Old 07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Fre$h_TurK

-OK...so im keepin the system but i wanna change the back speakers... any suggestions?

- wouldnt the 17" rims be enough ..or would u suggest that i lower the car

- i believe imma go with the budget y pipe... i heard its around $220..

lastly could u guys tell me how much would it cost to lower the car?... (im not gonna do it myself obviously)

i live in NJ... im close to Paterson and NY ... do any of u know a place where i can get all this done with a fair price??

Old 07-18-2006, 04:24 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You can't just replace the back speakers with the bose. They are individually amped. If anything you should replace the head unit get an amp and install components up front, leave the back alone or get rid of it and add a small sub..
Old 07-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Fre$h_TurK

oh alrite i got u

Old 07-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Fre$h_TurK

where can i get k-sports? where are they located