4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 inches to much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:04 PM

2 inches to much?

I came across a deal on some springs, which would be pretty hard to beat (and there not dropzone's either). But they say its a 2' drop all the way around. Now given, I do have stock wheels on my 95 now but I am planning some wheels soon and just to be safe, I want enough gap to allow for 19's without rub. So is a 2'' inch to much, or is it liveable?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:36 PM

yeah I would like to no what the best drop for these cars is also for a good smooth ride
Old 07-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Black Maxima

2" is nothing...

Old 07-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yea that really isnt all that much of a drop when you consider that a lot of member have dropped theres 2.5,3,more even. A two inch drop is ok for the car. Also putting in after market springs are gonna make the car ride rougher than OEM.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
2" is nothing...
Black how low you riding now?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Black Maxima

Less than a can low...

Old 07-23-2006, 02:16 PM

speed bumps much?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:26 PM

Less than a can low...
I say you try and get down to the size of one of the 8 oz cans. lol Thats pretty nice I willl have to give you some props.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Project Ruby......

2" isn't too bad.

My auto has Sprints with Illuminas it rides pretty well.

Black your car is sitting low. I'm thinkin my car is at about a full can or slightly lower. I scrape coming out of a lot of places around here no matter how much of an angle I go at. Damn TN hills.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:06 PM

Haha, I bottom out even with my car not lowered on some TN roads. I have a nice rough spot on the bottom of my bumper. I wasn't paying attention and bottomed out coming out of a parking garage after a concert at Tompson Boling Arena.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:16 PM

I have a 2" drop also (sprints) and it looks good. only thing is that if you dont have a system in your trunk the back will be higher.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:21 PM
SuPeRmAn97

2 inch is ok

Old 07-23-2006, 10:21 PM

Not to jack your thread, just gettin an idea since we are on suspension. I am adding KGB AGX's and Eibach pros, I am ridin 20's, Do you think I will rub?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:15 AM

anyone have any idea?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Maxima Owner

if u want a smooth ride and a drop get H&Rs....Eibachs are Stiff great for competition.....PRogress are stiff and lil more drop than Eibach not as good for competition but stilll good....Ground Controls awesome for competition very stiffr for street use if u dont set them up right........everythign else besides good coilovers are too soft the a big drop and li ek the bumpstops....but i dont care cause u can seaarch to get as good review on many springs......but what do i know i am on my 4th combo
Old 07-24-2006, 08:53 AM

i have a 1.5 inch drop and i wish i got a 2 inch drop, i think 2 inch is perfect imo
Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Bottoming out has as much to do with the stiffness of your springs as your ride height: If your springs are stiff enough for your drop, you won't bottom out unless you run over an angle in the road that is too sharp for your ground clearance. I've actually bottomed out much LESS with my coilovers than I did with my stock suspension, even when I had a 3.5" drop.

Because of that, your car HAS to be stiffer the lower you go, which is going to make the ride harsher. A low drop and a smooth ride are a bad combination because they'll make you far more likely to bottom out. If you want a low ride height and a smooth ride at the same time, you need another car.

Another problem is that Maximas don't have much suspension travel to begin with. If you lower your car 2" with a regular spring/strut combination, you'll lose more than half of your travel, which makes it even more important to have springs that are stiff enough to keep your car from hitting the bumpstops.

Moral of the story: Don't get Tein S-Techs...

If you want a 2" drop with a smooth ride, get Progress springs with Koni Yellow shocks; Tokico Illuminas are a decent substitute if you want to go cheap, but they're the bare minimum.

But 2" is THE LIMIT for a spring/strut combo. If you really want to be safe, or if you want to go lower than that, you need a full coilover kit. Tein, Ksport, D2, JIC, and Progress all make coilover kits that let you adjust your ride height to whatever you want, and all of them except the Teins let you lower your car without sacrificing suspension travel. They also include springs that are more than stiff enough to handle big drops.

As far as rubbing goes, it doesn't matter how big your rims are as long as the offset and overall diameter of the wheel-tire combination are the same or nearly the same as stock. If your offset and overall diameter are the same with your 20s as they were with your stock 16s, the 20s are no more likely to rub as the 16s.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:25 AM

im sitting on tein s springs and 19" axis six speeds, and theres still a gap left between my fender and tire. no rubbing issues or anything at all. i believe the teins lower my car about 1.5-1.75 inches. 2 inch drop would probably be perfect as far as looks goes.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:20 PM

I have an eibach pro kit, 18"X8" wheels with 235/40/18's and stillen kit and I don't bottom out at all unless the road jumps up too fast. For example the back exit at krogers on hall road in alcoa.(for those in this area) I bottomed out my 4X4 expedition there!! But the worst thing about being lowered is the parking curbs WATCH OUT!! my stillen lip has been bloodied a few times by those little treasures. Also I don't alway clear bloated dead opossums in the middle of the road. but the majority of the damage has came from tiny rocks traveling at a very high rate very close to the ground. (chips chips everywhere) Stupid TN backroads and gravel driveways

BTW I would bite the bullet($$$) and get good brand name springs and struts that match. that way you know exactly what your getting good handling and looks
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Project Ruby......

Originally Posted by buttonhook
I have an eibach pro kit, 18"X8" wheels with 235/40/18's and stillen kit and I don't bottom out at all unless the road jumps up too fast. For example the back exit at krogers on hall road in alcoa.(for those in this area) I bottomed out my 4X4 expedition there!! But the worst thing about being lowered is the parking curbs WATCH OUT!! my stillen lip has been bloodied a few times by those little treasures. Also I don't alway clear bloated dead opossums in the middle of the road. but the majority of the damage has came from tiny rocks traveling at a very high rate very close to the ground. (chips chips everywhere) Stupid TN backroads and gravel driveways

BTW I would bite the bullet($$$) and get good brand name springs and struts that match. that way you know exactly what your getting good handling and looks
Ahh yes the possums. I nailed one that shoved my front lip up under my bumper Pulled over and pulled it back out, nothing wrong with the lip
Old 07-25-2006, 04:46 PM

Since all the playas from maryville are chiming in...And since this thread is now OT...

Those suicidal birds are just as bad as rock chips!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=Hexon]Since all the playas from maryville are chiming in QUOTE]
You know it.
At least you still have some summer left. I have to return fri. to the new principal.
BTW are you taking my class next year??
Old 07-25-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hexon
Haha, I bottom out even with my car not lowered on some TN roads. I have a nice rough spot on the bottom of my bumper. I wasn't paying attention and bottomed out coming out of a parking garage after a concert at Tompson Boling Arena.
My diagnosis: Shot Shock absorbers.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
As far as rubbing goes, it doesn't matter how big your rims are as long as the offset and overall diameter of the wheel-tire combination are the same or nearly the same as stock. If your offset and overall diameter are the same with your 20s as they were with your stock 16s, the 20s are no more likely to rub as the 16s.
Ditto on the offset.

In fact, I'm running a 17x7 +40mm offset wrapped with 215/55/17 tires, which is 3.12% bigger in diameter than the 205/65/15 stock. Car is dropped 1.5 inches with H&R springs. Nothing close to rubbing.

Your offset will depend on the width of the wheels. One thing you know now is that a 7 inch wheel w/ +40mm offset with even bigger tires won't rub.

7" = 177.8 mm ;inch to mm - width of my G35 wheels.
177.8mm/2 = 88.9 mm ;half the width in mm
88.9 mm - 40 mm = 48.9 mm ;distance between the surface of the wheel and the hub. You can probably go a little more aggresive as my wheels still have room. Calculate others setup and go from there.

This link has been posted in many of the threads here. I suggest that you look through it, if you haven't already.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

If you want 19s then 225/35/19 tires (0.2% diff in diameter) is your best bet assuming that your stock wheels came with 215/60/15. Otherwise, you can check the size yourself with the link below.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Project Ruby......

Rubbing certainly will not occur like d00df00d pointed out unless your offset is low.

Me being dropped quite low and running 20MM spacers to clear my BBK, I definetly rub on some nasty dips. When I am up in the mountains pushing the car through the corners occasionally I will rub.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by buttonhook
BTW are you taking my class next year??
Nope, no room. I have to take early bird gov to fit everything in. I am doing medical classes in the room beside yours, though.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hexon
Nope, no room. I have to take early bird gov to fit everything in. I am doing medical classes in the room beside yours, though.
Have fun with that ledford is a strange bird
Old 07-26-2006, 05:31 PM

I totally agree
Old 07-26-2006, 05:49 PM

see now your going to miss the FUN class principles of engineering we could have worked the maxima into your homework!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Maximoneypit

2" is nothing...
That really depends.............. you guys are comparing apples and oranges. Hes talking a spring/strut setup while you have coilovers. Depending on what spring rate these springs are they could be quite detrimental w/ that large of a drop because they will severely limit suspension travel as opposed to the coilovers you have which allow such a drop w/ full suspension travel. You also run into the angle of the lower control arms being at an incline (vs. the optimal position of being parallel w/ the ground for best handling). A lower drop like that also puts much more strain on the CV joints. Your drop looks nice but lower is by far not always better..... at least in terms of handling and the life of other parts of your car.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by NCSU_MAX
That really depends.............. you guys are comparing apples and oranges. Hes talking a spring/strut setup while you have coilovers. Depending on what spring rate these springs are they could be quite detrimental w/ that large of a drop because they will severely limit suspension travel as opposed to the coilovers you have which allow such a drop w/ full suspension travel. You also run into the angle of the lower control arms being at an incline (vs. the optimal position of being parallel w/ the ground for best handling). A lower drop like that also puts much more strain on the CV joints. Your drop looks nice but lower is by far not always better..... at least in terms of handling and the life of other parts of your car.
from the man who is dropped on his nuts lol.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by Apparition
Exactly. He should know.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Exactly. He should know.
Indeed but I heard there's someone lower in CT.. haha nah but I've realized a long time ago that coilovers are the way to go, in my case. unfortunately money will only permit me to go Eibach at the moment as I got a deal on them.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by Apparition
not really sure how you think that. My car not that low compared to all these guys who slam theirs on coilovers.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Ichiban King

not really sure how you think that. My car not that low compared to all these guys who slam theirs on coilovers.
You have D2's I thought and I know you're not extremely low but you're still down there.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Maximoneypit

true, but not like these guys. if youre refering to the sig picture the car is leaning pretty hard. Either way its just important that people know the hazards of really low drops.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Ichiban King

true, but not like these guys. if youre refering to the sig picture the car is leaning pretty hard. Either way its just important that people know the hazards of really low drops.
VIP is pretty low and yes it was your sig pics FTL..
Old 07-27-2006, 08:34 PM

2 inch drop isn't much 2 really worry about, unless u reside in NY state. I live in NY, and there are sum craters out here. So really, if ur doing 2 inch drop, dont come 2 ny...lol. On a more serious note, don't get ur tires too low of a profile. Good luck. http://www.geocities.com/mrmagicpapi/S4020353.JPG
Old 11-21-2006, 04:08 PM

I reside in NY State. We have the worst pot holes compared to any other state across the country. My Max is currently sitting on the factory springs. I would like 2 hear some opinions, would 2' - 3' be too much of a drop? i have 245/45 18's on My Max now, and a lot of ppl think the rims are smaller then they actually are due 2 its current ride height which lives a large amount of room btwn the top of the tire and wheel well.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 PM

Less than a can low...
are your wheels tucked??????

Quick Reply: 2 inches to much?