4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

problem using the DIY AC recharge kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 07:12 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

problem using the DIY AC recharge kits

Hi,

I bought the gauge/hose & recharge bottle from walmart ...

I screwed in the bottle into the gauge thing. I then pushed the plug into the low port under the hood.

All while the car is running and the AC turned on...

well, when I push and hold the hose into the L valve, the reading on the gauge goes up to 65 psi (just at the top of the yellow alert indicator on the gauge).

My AC turns on and it just blows somehwat cool air ... on hot days & stop go traffic, the AC sucks, but when I'm cruising the freeway at 65+, it's somewhat decent. I know I just need a recharge..

am I using this kit wrong? When I don't hold the hose against the nozzle w/o applyin pressure, the gauge goes up to 65 then slowly comes all the way back down. But then when I pull the trigger to release the refrigerant, it shoots up into the red, indicating to me that the thing isn't locking into place properly without me holding it down.

Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:18 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

o btw, i attempted to this on a hot day after driving the car for a long time ... since this is pressure related, I'm assuming since the car is smoking hot, the pressure increased within the AC system???
Old 07-24-2006, 04:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

1) Sounds like your not connecting correctly into your system.
2) You really cannot properly charge a R134 A/C system with gauges.
R134 pressures vary big time with temperature. Gauges do not give an accurate indication of the amount of refrigerant in the system. A proper charge is determined by weight and then pumped into your system. The amount of R134 needed is indicated by a label on the radiator support.
3) 65 PSI indicates an overcharge or internal problem with your A/C system.

Have the system looked at by a professional.
Your A/C system is NOT a DIY fix for the home mechanic.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:44 AM

I bought one of those small cans. Added nearly the whole thing. Turns out it was too much and I had to let some of it out.

It's very sensitive to get the right combo of refrigerant and oil. I imagine someone could really mess up their system by doing that themselves.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 AM

I just recently recharged my air after my motor swap. I added 1.5lbs of R-134a (about a can and a half), and all was fine. My a/c blows fine now. If you've been having problems with your a/c system, take njmaxse's advice, get it looked at by a professional, especially if you have all that refridgerant in there and it's still not blowing cold. It is not a DIY fix, you need to perform a leak test, check the hoses, compressor, etc. Take it somewhere that specializes in a/c repair.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:11 AM

thats because thats all bs.. u cant possibly charge the ac with those.. u can just let some out either by releasing it.. if u release it air will get into the system.. just go to a shop and get it done... its probably leaking thats why the ac sucks...
Old 07-24-2006, 08:14 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

how lame ... oh well thanks for the help guys.

i'll try it one more time with a cooled engine, if it's still giving me those readings, i'll cut my losses and take it to a mechanic.

I thought it would work conisdering so many ppl in searched threads said it was ridiculously easy ...