4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WhOs Unhappy with their car????

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:25 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
you should learn how to spell infinity first before buying one though
Maybe you should too? www.Infiniti.com
Old 07-28-2006, 07:38 PM

You will never buy one, because it takes IQ to actually afford one.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But right now I am kinda mad at my car for dying 90% of the time I switch to reverse!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Racerman

I want a Mazda M6. Those are Awesome... but they are only a little quicker...

Old 07-28-2006, 08:36 PM

I want a 2008 gt-r
Old 07-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by g4nismo
yes, i was referring the track and also the anniversary edition and yes i know there expensive as *****, i would rather get an STi, which is what i want. and i'm also aware that infinities are more luxurious than nissans. and i was comparing it to the coupe version, not the sedan.
and i'm sorry ur friends z's having some problems, i guess u can expect that kinda of stuff from nissan.

... touche' haha. yeah the shift_2.0 isn't doing for me. Ghosn needs to go diving and race to the surface while holding his breath.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
vsamoylov

allright guys at least you know how to read then.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Droppin logs

Wanna have some fun with your buddies? Go F/I...
Old 07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Difficult is NOT impossible!

Originally Posted by Dark99GLE
I love my Maxima, but there is one thing I hate, the cup holders suck, they're tiny, I can't even fit a 20oz bottle in there

haha at least you have round ones, mine are square, and the middle divider comes loose, and almost killed my phone once, cuz i had a coffee cup tilt over without me noticing and it filled up my entire cup holder, and thats also where i put my phone, so my phone was soaking in coffee for @ least a minute, but the phone surprisingly still works! Oh and those cheap styrofoam cups rip if you try to shove them in the holder!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by g4nismo
id rather get a 350z. g35 depreciate faster and the z has the better handlin and power

Have you ever looked at the residual values for the two cars? BTW, the power is the same til' you get to the track edition 350z.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:00 AM
Wild for Width

I was talking with my friend Lando and I may or may not be cruising in the Millenium Falcon if I make some extra cash this summer.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Apparition
I thought it was a space shuttle last week..
I had to get more realistic but thanks for bringing that up.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:52 AM

I wish I could get my hands on a Nissan 240SX S-15, but that stuff is hard to find, especially in my area
Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 AM

there hard to find in the US period. You've have better luck buying ang an S14 and converting it.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:13 AM

i wanted a 1999 subaru impreza but everything was up north. now that i have my maxima everything is great. wouldn't mind if i could get 30 MPG once in a while..my best so far is 21.7 MPG on one tank. =/
Old 07-29-2006, 11:58 AM

I cant say that I am unhappy with my car as I simply still love it, but I am ready for an upgrade. The things that bother me is the fact that the entire chassis is not as stiff as say more modern cars. You feel every little bump and it comes through jarring with rattles here and there. Im not saying I want a comfort oriented car like a Caddy, but a stiffer chassis can go a long way with dealing with bumps. Maybe when I put on my new struts and springs next month it will rejuvinate my love for the car. There are a few other small problems that I am having, but nothing I cant fix on my own. After 4 years of driving this car I am simply ready for the next thing. Who knows, I might still keep it.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
I had to get more realistic but thanks for bringing that up.
Well driving my dads Toyota Previa is like piloting the Death Star.. if its any consolation.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:24 PM

^^^ ^^^ My neighbor has a Previa and its definitly "death star-esque" I finally replaced my knock sensor yesterday and I'm really surprised how much difference it makes.I bought the car with it bad already so for the month or so I've had it,I never felt the car really running right and boy did it make a difference.Wasnt that bad a job either,tried to follow the stickies but I was frustrated so I took the upper airbox/MAF stuff off and it opened up a whole bunch of room...thanks to the guys for the stickies
Old 07-29-2006, 03:22 PM

I've been having nothing but problems w/ my car. I'm thinking about just calling it a day and doing away w/ it. If I can figure out these problems I'm having, she's gonna stay.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:09 AM

Picked up my 240sx Friday, and it has actually made me appreciate my Maxima more now. The 240sx is my project...and my Maxima is what I drive, and will drive until next year probably. That means no more mods for the Maxima...just maintanence and gas, and praying something catastrophic doesn't fail. No matter how much I mod my Maxima...I couldn't look past the faults that bothered me before modding...I am looking forward to another year of driving my Maxima...unfortunately by then my car will probably be worth next to nothing (not that the resale is great now, either).
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Picked up my 240sx Friday, and it has actually made me appreciate my Maxima more now. The 240sx is my project...and my Maxima is what I drive, and will drive until next year probably. That means no more mods for the Maxima...just maintanence and gas, and praying something catastrophic doesn't fail. No matter how much I mod my Maxima...I couldn't look past the faults that bothered me before modding...I am looking forward to another year of driving my Maxima...unfortunately by then my car will probably be worth next to nothing (not that the resale is great now, either).
What year did you get? Whats the plans for the car?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:40 AM

I love my max but I still wish I could sell it!wtf
Old 07-30-2006, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by dabodyman
I love my max but I still wish I could sell it!wtf
You can sell it, return it back to stock and sell. But if memory serves you have the molded kit, and shave (comepletely) trunk lid.

If you car was cheap enough and MT I would buy it.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Donating i30 Owner

i hate my car sometimes.. but i never stop loving it.....

those other cars out there there jsut tricks i like to flip sometimes... i take my cousins cars out for rides soemtimes... M3, M, E55AMG, G35 coups... there like super models... just good for that thrill but when it comes time to come home...

my 5spd stock motor LSD i30 takes care of me in ways i cant begin to describe.... (i think i tuned my self on..)

heh..

its better to drive a slow car fast then to drive a fast car slow....
Old 07-30-2006, 09:27 AM

I am defenitly a nissan guy, currently own a 96 altima, 98 maxima and a 99 maxima. I absolutely love the max's.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
What year did you get? Whats the plans for the car?
It's a 1990 White Nissan 240sx 5MT Fastback. The car was advertised on autotrader as having a clean body and interior, but needs an engine. Drove down to PA that same week (last week) to pick it up using a tow dolly from uhaul and towing with my family's 1998 Toyota 4Runner 5MT 2.7L I4...which was exhilerating, but managed to pull 20 mpg with a vehicle in tow. Not too bad at all.

Starting to ramble...so I'll get to the point. I had originally planned on getting this car, swapping a stock engine in (yes, a stock SOHC), and selling my Maxima -- all before going back to college in September, and in between vacation time and working nights 6 days a week. Well...I lost confidence in that plan when I saw the car. Not that it's in THAT much worse of shape than was described, but I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to run into problems with the car, and sourcing some necessary but hard to get components. The car has half of the engine basically: the pistons are exposed and the head is off the car and .... I have no clue where. It seems like a valve dropped into the cylinder, and the owner kept the engine running long enough to severly gouge the top of the piston, as well as blow a hole right through. Even though the head isn't on the car, the funny part is the broken valve stayed in the cylinder.

Damn, starting to ramble EVEN MORE. Revised plan for the car:
1. Buy an electrical impact wrench.
2. Source interior pieces that are missing, fix broken sunroof latch so that the car can be sealed from the rain, source a stock radio at least.
3. Drop the trans, source a clutch for a future turbo setup.
4. Source a comp. tested/leak down tested and guarenteed motor, and drop that bish in. Figuring out which vacuum lines go where...which are missing from the head removal...etc.
If I can do this before heading off to college, it'll be great, but I don't think it'll happen...I'm missing an engine lift.

One thing that I'll definately be getting done before college is removing the top layer of oxidation from the single stage white paint, and restoring some gloss. Next year I'll attack a few minor rust spots...repaint hub caps, etc. Will probably have to redo the suspension...check that, suspension will be a must, and I'll probably have to count on redoing the brakes as well.

As far as my planned turbo setup: the only thing that's definate right now is that I'll be running a SOHC-t. I am almost ready to buy a complete t3 turbo, Gladman log mani, sr side mount intercooler, piping, downpipe, safc-1, a few guages, CA18det injectors, etc. basically good for over 200 rwhp, but I'm becoming weary of spending double on a turbo kit than I did on the whole car when it's not yet running. I'm just planning on having a VERY streetable car, the ability to kick out the rear end at my liesure, and the ability to attack the 1/4 in 13 seconds. Plus I really want to hear a BOV. This car will be running and with a turbo by next August. I'll stay away from something as small as a t25, but definately won't go over a t3. There's just no need for it.

As I said, originally I had wanted to get this thing running before college started again, and to sell my Maxima....but having this project in the background has made me appreciate my Maxima more now...haha, it's so weird.

I couldn't stop myself from writing so much...even though I tried...good luck getting through this previous post guys...
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by keb1209
It's a love/hate relationship. On bad days I want to slap a for sale sign on it and upgrade to something newer and nicer. Then on other days I can't bear the thought of parting with it. Mine has 216,000 mi, is in great condition inside and out, and it never misses a beat. It's been garaged it's whole life and has never been smoked in. I'd feel guilty to let it go to someone else who probably wouldn't take care of it as well as I have.
Same here.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Damn Maximas cause too much problems in my humble opinion.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
I am defenitly a nissan guy, currently own a 96 altima, 98 maxima and a 99 maxima. I absolutely love the max's.

why the hell do u have 2 maximas?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:36 PM
slowest 5-cylinder in the East

When ya beat on a car, problems will happen. For the life of me I am unable to keep my foot out the throttle, and unable to go less than 2x posted speed on ramps. I love my car so much. But I hurt it by doing these things, and problems occur. It's a win/lose situation. But I like it so much I am willing to bend over for it, and take it IDB. (i keep my wallet in back pocket)
Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 PM

I had a 98 se and then got a deal on a 99 gle fully loaded, so i grabbed it.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM

I got rid of 97' SE after having it for just short of 2 years with 80,000 miles on it. I had put a good amount of money into modification and really loved the car. However, after a while I began to experience that "love/hate" relationship with the car and just wanted something faster and more performance orientated.

So now here I am 2 years later with a modded wrx that would blow the doors off of my old max and has handling capabilities the maxima could never dream of. Yet, I still find myself really regreting the decision to get rid of my maxima.
I am a college student that can barely afford his wrx and now I am looking to get rid of it.

The point: My maxima was a reliable and still decently fun car. Had a kept it, it would have been payed off nearly 2 years ago and probably still running strong with ~ 160k miles. It would have been in my best interest to just keep the maxima and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM

im cool with it for the time being. but i have some issues:

It's a 96, and its starting to rust in places, especially the rocker panel. if i dont find a way to stop the rusting, my car is going to look like an 80s toyota soon.

Also, It had a crappy maaco paint job done to it awhile back (was gold originally, and black now) and well the black paint is peeling off in places, the front bumper has all the paint sanded off (it looked speckled before with some paint coming off) and some bondo work on the door is chipping off too.

I hate the way my car looks, absolutely bothers me. but it runs great. only 126,000 miles.

its hard to convince myself to keep it longer though. I wish it didnt look like a junker. cuz its not one, it just looks like one.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:40 PM

Than get a good paint job and your fine.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by DTR Maxima

So now here I am 2 years later with a modded wrx that would blow the doors off of my old max and has handling capabilities the maxima could never dream of. Yet, I still find myself really regreting the decision to get rid of my maxima.
I am a college student that can barely afford his wrx and now I am looking to get rid of it.
Want a 97 SE back for free, of course you will let the WRX go to me but I would like this deal

ahh just playing
Old 07-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
Want a 97 SE back for free, of course you will let the WRX go to me but I would like this deal

ahh just playing
hey Nick you'd be the banana with him portraying the purple guy..
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 PM

Sometimes after reading a lot of posts for all these years on the Maxima site, I think a lot of people here could appreciate the BMW 5-series (97-04).

With all the mods people do on their cars, this seems to be what people aspire to with their Max...

1. Good handling but also want a smooth ride.
2. Wanting a nice tight look around the wheel well gap.
3. Wanting good power delivery.
4. Wanting low profile tires without the harsh road noise.
5. Wanting four doors with a decent back seat and trunk.
6. Appreciating a stick shift.
7. Wanting a reasonably good looking car.
8. Wanting a nice interior with tight build quality...
9. A car that hugs the road but also absorbs the bumps.
10. Wanting some nice brakes that don't look too weak behind the nice wheels.
11. Wanting decently sized and decent looking wheels.
12. A car that just feels nice and solid on the road.

A sport package 5-series offers all of the above -- Stock...
Even the Touring package models aren't too bad.

If only the BMW engines had the Nissan VQ reliability.
The thing with the BMWs is that under the hood; the engines internally are o.k., but everything bolted around the engine tends to be designed to last not much beyond 100K miles...

Examples being radiators, water pumps, catalytic converters, O2 sensors, etc. And the engines with variable valve timing need their valvetrains rebuilt around 100K miles.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Apparition
hey Nick you'd be the banana with him portraying the purple guy..
I want to be the catcher!!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Droppin logs

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
I was talking with my friend Lando and I may or may not be cruising in the Millenium Falcon if I make some extra cash this summer.
"What the hell is an aluminum falcon?!!"
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
I want to be the catcher!!
guys with auto maximas that are pebble beige haha.. I dislike this thread, its gone on too long. wheres Freeway when you need him?.. he's always there to **** you off when you dont want him to be, then when you need help he's nowhere to be found, maybe he's a cop.

Quick Reply: WhOs Unhappy with their car????