4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Luminics melts harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 02:48 PM

Luminics melts harnesses?

I'm currently running Luminics hyper white bulbs for my headlights (9007 conversion). I used to use Nokyas and never had a problem with them except they burnt out a little too soon so I was looking for a bulb that lasted longer. I run upgraded Nokya heavy-duty harnesses too that I got from Sport Compact Only, however, ever since I started using Luminics bulbs they have been melting the harnesses! To my knowledge they're supposed to work even with stock harnesses, so why would they melt the heavier harnesses? I don't know if it has to do with the 9007 conversion (running the high-beam filament most of the time instead of the low-beam) or if the problem may rest elsewhere. I'm considering picking up some PIAAs to see if they eliminate the problem but I wanted to get some other opinions before I shell out the big $ for those. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 PM

Maybe it's your wiring? How many watts do they have?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM

They're rated the same as stock...55w/65w...but this problem seems to only happen with Luminics bulbs. Nokyas never gave me a problem and they're rated at a much higher wattage too.

It has nothing to do with the wiring. This problem happened with both my stock wiring and my 9007 conversion wiring. I'm using 12 gauge with Bosch relays. I already have an email sent into Luminics as well to see what they have to say. After doing a google search it turns out that many Scion owners are having the same problem with Luminics melting their harnesses
Old 08-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

did you grease the connections?
Jae
Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 AM

i thought stock was 45/55?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:24 PM

45/65 for 9004

55/65 for 9007.

to the OP, you stated "I don't know if it has to do with the 9007 conversion (running the high-beam filament most of the time instead of the low-beam) "

WTF are you talking about. when you cross wire to do a the 9007 conversion your still running low beams as low beams and highs are highs. nothing is diffrent except the bulb and 10w at low beam. So if your high beams are turned on while its at low beams then you messed up somewhere down the line.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
45/65 for 9004

55/65 for 9007.

to the OP, you stated "I don't know if it has to do with the 9007 conversion (running the high-beam filament most of the time instead of the low-beam) "

WTF are you talking about. when you cross wire to do a the 9007 conversion your still running low beams as low beams and highs are highs. nothing is diffrent except the bulb and 10w at low beam. So if your high beams are turned on while its at low beams then you messed up somewhere down the line.

Sorry but you're incorrect. When you do the 9007 conversion it changes the orientation of the bulb. When the 9007 bulb sits in the stock headlight housings it sits at a 180 degree difference from the 9004 bulb...therefore...the way it works is it gives you greater output by using the highbeam filament as the low beam (made possible by the change in orientation of the bulb) and the low beam filament as the high beam. That's why anybody who has the 9007 conversion has brighter low beams than high beams...yet the highbeams are still aimed higher than the lows.

Anyways it seems like most can't help on this issue, so I'm going to wait to hear back from Luminics and decide what I'm going to do from there
Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bhmax16
Anyways it seems like most can't help on this issue
Did you read my post above?
Jae
Old 08-03-2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Did you read my post above?
Jae
Sorry about that...yes all connections are properly greased
Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 PM

I've seen 2 styles of aftermarket harnesses. 1 is the popular Nokya one, black in color. I've heard and seen a few melted ones. I took one and put a flame to it, and it melted pretty easily to my surprise.

There is another version, white and blue in color, that I've seen on ebay. Again, I took a flame to it, and it took more time to melt. I would assume this generic ebay should withstand more heat. Can you take a pic of your harness and post? Thanx.

Jae
Old 08-04-2006, 02:52 AM
V^___^V

try to get a pair of KYO upgraded wire harness
Old 08-04-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
try to get a pair of KYO upgraded wire harness
Word. that's like the one I got from ebay. But mine was 12ga wires, and soldered to the stock wiring.

Jae
Old 08-04-2006, 06:53 PM

I've seen 2 styles of aftermarket harnesses. 1 is the popular Nokya one, black in color. I've heard and seen a few melted ones. I took one and put a flame to it, and it melted pretty easily to my surprise.

There is another version, white and blue in color, that I've seen on ebay. Again, I took a flame to it, and it took more time to melt. I would assume this generic ebay should withstand more heat. Can you take a pic of your harness and post? Thanx.

Jae
I'm currently using the black Nokya harnesses that many members get from Sport Compact Only. They worked fine with the Nokya bulbs, but melt with the Luminics bulbs.

No digital camera anymore at the moment, so I can't take a picture.

I may give the KYO harnesses a try. Would likely be a cheaper alternative to dropping the big $ for some PIAA bulbs. I also saw a harness at autozone rated to widthstand over 400 degrees. Any idea how that would compare to the KYO harnesses? My maxima already has an expired inspection sticker and while I could get the lights working just to pass, I'd rather just do it all over one more time then be able to forget about them. Thanks for all the replies
Old 08-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by bhmax16
I'm currently using the black Nokya harnesses that many members get from Sport Compact Only. They worked fine with the Nokya bulbs, but melt with the Luminics bulbs.

No digital camera anymore at the moment, so I can't take a picture.

I may give the KYO harnesses a try. Would likely be a cheaper alternative to dropping the big $ for some PIAA bulbs. I also saw a harness at autozone rated to widthstand over 400 degrees. Any idea how that would compare to the KYO harnesses? My maxima already has an expired inspection sticker and while I could get the lights working just to pass, I'd rather just do it all over one more time then be able to forget about them. Thanks for all the replies
If you're pressed for time, you could make your own temporary harness. You can buy connectors that hook up to the prongs on the bulb. Solder those connectors to the stock harness. Individually wrap the 3 connectors, then wrap together. Do it carefully and make it pretty to pass inspection.

Jae
Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 PM

If you're pressed for time, you could make your own temporary harness. You can buy connectors that hook up to the prongs on the bulb. Solder those connectors to the stock harness. Individually wrap the 3 connectors, then wrap together. Do it carefully and make it pretty to pass inspection.

Jae
Jae, I actually thought of that as well (I'm no novice by any means when it comes to electrical...I work in a shop so I work on cars daily). I wound up buying the harnesses at autozone that I saw rated at like 485 degrees. So I'll see how they hold up. I picked up some Silverstars while I was there just so I could replace the bulbs to pass inspection (one of the highbeams was out). They aren't my cup of tea though...quite yellow and stock looking and they don't match the rest of my other bulbs at all. I may have to shell out the money for PIAAs because I'm not sure if I want to take the risk with the Luminics with the new harnesses or not...and Nokyas weren't bad except I was never happy with their lifespan and they were too blue for my tastes. I like bright white light. Thanks for all the help...but it looks like it's trial and error from here!