4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Camshaft Position Sensor problem and more.. a lil help please......

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 09:13 AM
iAMIXAM!

Camshaft Position Sensor problem and more.. a lil help please......

well guys, about six months ago my Camshaft Position Sensor went bad, my oxygen sensors were bad then, but after i changed the Camshaft Position Sensor the bad oxygen sensor codes were gone to..... now both codes are back, the Camshaft Position Sensor code and the oxygen sensor code..... along with a mass airflow sensor code......the bad Camshaft Position Sensor is making my car jerk real hard sometimes, just like when it was bad before......

i dont even know where i shoudl start with the questions..... i wanna know if the oxygen sensor can cause the Camshaft Position Sensor to go bad and whats up with the mass airflow sensor.....
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Start with the MAF sensor, it's probably causing the jerking.
You can test the CPS sensor with an ohm meter. The Haynes shop manual will help you. Your car has more then one O2 sensor. Which one did you replace and which one is bad now?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 AM
iAMIXAM!

i didnt change the O2 sensor...... its the front left and right...... i know where they are.... i am gonna chang eit real soon cause i already purchased both of em....where can i get the haynes book, can i download it? thanks for teh info.... how do u test the Camshaft Position Sensor, is there a right up somewhere?...thanks so much....
Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by loverholic
i didnt change the O2 sensor...... its the front left and right...... i know where they are.... i am gonna chang eit real soon cause i already purchased both of em....where can i get the haynes book, can i download it? thanks for teh info.... how do u test the Camshaft Position Sensor, is there a right up somewhere?...thanks so much....

Go download the 96 FSM from www.phatg20.net. Go to each individual section for the CPS, the MAF, and for the o2 sensors. Buy yourself a multimeter, and check to see the proper resistance (or whatever it's called) for each part is in the specified range that the FSM states it should be in. That will give you an idea what is bad, and what isn't.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by loverholic
were both front o2 banks bad?
Old 08-04-2006, 12:47 AM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by MDeezy
were both front o2 banks bad?
yeh, both of em.....they still are, i'm gonna change them this weekend, providing i get the tool to do so..
Old 08-04-2006, 04:20 AM

cresent wrench will do the job nicely
Old 08-04-2006, 01:58 PM
eturnl

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the camshaft position sensor is only utilized by the ecu when starting the car. When mine went bad i had trouble starting my car. never had jerking.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by eturnl
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the camshaft position sensor is only utilized by the ecu when starting the car. When mine went bad i had trouble starting my car. never had jerking.
The cam position sensor is an integral part of both starting and running. It's what tells the ECU which stroke each cylinder is on.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:22 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by nismology
It's what tells the ECU which stroke each cylinder is on.
I was think that at first, but then realized that its only once sensor and its a pulse signal sensor and it only monitors only 1 of the 4 cams. I'm gonna have to look into this further...
Perhaps it must work in conjunction with the crankshaft position sensor as well as other sensors.
Theoretically, i don't see how that sensor alone helps the ecu determine which stroke each cylinder is on. There's got to be other sensors involved in the algorithim.
Maybe i'm just tired.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:30 AM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by MDeezy
cresent wrench will do the job nicely
never heard of that, is it a common tool? and can i go to AutoZone and get it?
Old 08-05-2006, 05:32 AM

crescent wrench-> O===C
any hardware store has them but make sure you know what size to get first unless you just get an adjustable one.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:15 AM

I was think that at first, but then realized that its only once sensor and its a pulse signal sensor and it only monitors only 1 of the 4 cams. I'm gonna have to look into this further...
Perhaps it must work in conjunction with the crankshaft position sensor as well as other sensors.
Theoretically, i don't see how that sensor alone helps the ecu determine which stroke each cylinder is on. There's got to be other sensors involved in the algorithim.
Maybe i'm just tired.
The CPS (POS) tells the ECU how fast the crank is spinning which then affects the frequency of injector and spark plug firings. The CPS (REF) tells the ECU the actual position of the #1 piston to primarily determine when in the stroke to fire the injectors and ignition. The Cam Pos sensor is used in conjunction with the CPS (REF) to determine which stroke the cylinder is on since the cam spins only once for every two crank revolutions. I'm not sure whether or not its signal represents all 6 cylinders, but i do know that its that sensor's primary purpose. It's the valvetrain that determines which stroke the motor is on; the pistons are just moving up and down.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:41 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by nismology
The CPS (POS) tells the ECU how fast the crank is spinning which then affects the frequency of injector and spark plug firings. The CPS (REF) tells the ECU the actual position of the #1 piston to primarily determine when in the stroke to fire the injectors and ignition. The Cam Pos sensor is used in conjunction with the CPS (REF) to determine which stroke the cylinder is on since the cam spins only once for every two crank revolutions. I'm not sure whether or not its signal represents all 6 cylinders, but i do know that its that sensor's primary purpose. It's the valvetrain that determines which stroke the motor is on; the pistons are just moving up and down.
Good info man! And yeah, i don't think the cam pos sensor reads data of all 6 cylinders. I don't really think it needs to. I just thinking out loud here but, there's 4 cams, 1 sensor. ECU is reading the "position" of only 1 cam, however all 4 are driven by the same chain so theoretically, the ECU could have easily been programmed to interpret the "position" of all the cams; therefore, in conjunction with the crank senors, i can see how the cam sensor's signal would represent all 6 cylinders.

You seem like you know your ****e nismology, what's your background?

Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 AM

He learned it all from me...
Old 08-08-2006, 05:53 AM

He studies FSM for a living
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM
iAMIXAM!

for a living? now thats what i call devotion....lol
Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM

Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
crescent wrench-> O===C
any hardware store has them but make sure you know what size to get first unless you just get an adjustable one.

No, that is an open-ended/box wrench. A crescent wrench (usually) has a curved end with no opening on one side then a u-sided opening on the other side with an adjustable screw that opens/closes the one side of the U.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 AM
iAMIXAM!

sounds like a shifting wrench to me....

i changed that camshaftposition sensor and it still jerks at low rpm so i guess it really is the MAF sensor that makes it jerk.... i have a new one that i got off an Infinty I30, i dont wanna put it in till the end of the week cause i have a bad airfilter and the air fillter adapter to the MAF is broken..... i ordered the parts and is expecting them this weekend... as soon as i get em in i am gonna change the MAF sensor........ and the oxygen sensors.. i think i might just have to use a regular wrench..the only prob is that my girl uses my car to work in the day, by the time she gets back its hot and i have to go to work...... this weekend i am gonna have all this straightened up....
Old 08-18-2006, 08:20 PM
iAMIXAM!

i changed the O2 sensors and the MAF sensor, and the camshaft position sensor, i even got a brand new air filter... i still get jerking, most of the jerking happen when i am cruising between 1500-2000 rpm...... once my rpm is in the range and i am cruising, the car jerks real bad.. do yall think i have a badd coilpack.. or bad plugs..the plugs are only 8 months old.... how do u test your coils and plugs?