4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP, car wont go into gear with new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:22 AM

HELP, 5th gen clutch problems!!!

Hey guys, just installed my new 5th generation clutch and fidanza flywheel and the car wont go into gear at idle but it will go into gear when the car is off, also shifting while driving is do-able but its kinda tuff to pull in and outa gears , wut did i do wrong, helpp
Old 08-09-2006, 10:45 AM

did you remove the hydraulic line connected to the slave? either you have air in the system or you need to adjust your clutch pedal. check the faqs/how-to's...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just replaced my 4th gen clutch with a 5th gen also, you still have air in teh system. does the clutch pedal feel really light, does it go to the floor and not come back unless you pull it back. When bleeding remove the air intake box, its really easy. Once you get that outta the way, have someone step on the clutch, open the bleeder valve on teh slave cylinder( lower bleeder) and with a crow bar or by hand push the slave cylinder in as far as it goes. while still holding pressure on the slave cylinder, close the bleeder valve with your other hand. have the person pull the clutch pedal back up and check the reservoir to make sure you don't suck more air in the system. Do that about 4-6 times, while every 2 or 3 times bleeding the upper valve. This should make sure that the air is outta the system. I talked to a senior Tech at a local nissan dealership, and he said that the 4th gen and 5th gen clutches are a ***** to bleed and takes a bit. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FLUID IN THE RESERVOIR!!!! you don't want to have to start all over again.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 PM

Ok, i bleeded the clutch and still no change, however just driving it more and more it seems to get a tiny bit better, my brother feels that the friction surfaces have to be broken in, im by far the hardest gear to get into is 1st and second, im gona go out to dinner right now and keep drivin and shiften and hopefully it will start to feel better, feel free to gimmy some input,
Old 08-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Maintenance Monster

Unless you did work on your tranny, something is quite wrong. Either your clutch isn't disengaging, or you didn't hook up the shifter correctly.

Keep forcing the car into gear and you'll have metal mash in a hurry.

Dave
Old 08-09-2006, 09:05 PM

aight, things didnt get any better.

what could be wrong , i mean wiht the car off it goes in all the gears great but not when its at idle, wuts upp.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:00 PM

Ok well when you sit at a light on a flat surface and you have your clutch in and your foot off the brake do it keep rolling and when you say it won't go into gear does it grind or does it just seem like you have to push really hard without any sounds.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:29 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by NewEngSurf
aight, things didnt get any better.

what could be wrong , i mean wiht the car off it goes in all the gears great but not when its at idle, wuts upp.
Clutch problem. Did you put the clutch in the right way?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by DaGGer
Ok well when you sit at a light on a flat surface and you have your clutch in and your foot off the brake do it keep rolling and when you say it won't go into gear does it grind or does it just seem like you have to push really hard without any sounds.
when it goes into gear i just have to push really hard, but its not consistant, some gears go in more smoothly on occasion, i heard a grinding noise once while going into 4th. and yes i believe the car does roll backwords when the clutch is pushed in. Keep in mind that when the car is off the shifter slides into all gears find with the clutch pushed in.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 AM

Ok i just took my car for a little ride and i find that it goes into first a little easier now at idle, still takes a little push but no grinding. When the i let my foot off the clutch before it grabs i hear a sqeeking noise that i think is my throwout bearing, however i did replace that. The clutch pedal feels very light and now i find that it grinds more going into 3ed and 4th gear. Could this problem have to do wiht my throwout bearing or possibly the fork? help please step in?!?!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 AM

ok with the car on a FLAT surface, and the parking brake ON, push the clutch pedal in, if you hear any kind ow "swhooshing" or "whirring" or "ticking" sound its the throw out bearing. Get in there and replace it fast.

If not then you have synchros going bad and its time for a rebuild or a new tranny.

whats your milage?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
ok with the car on a FLAT surface, and the parking brake ON, push the clutch pedal in, if you hear any kind ow "swhooshing" or "whirring" or "ticking" sound its the throw out bearing. Get in there and replace it fast.

If not then you have synchros going bad and its time for a rebuild or a new tranny.

whats your milage?
with the car on a flatt surface, parking break on, car in nuetral and i push the clutch in there is no sound. I then push the shifter into 1st gear (takes a little push to get it in there) and then i hear the squeeking/squeeling noise, as i slowly let off the clutch pedal the squeeking/squeeling gets louder and faster and is directly related to the possision of the clutch pedal.

millage is about 115k, if my tranny is going do u think i should look into getting it rebuilt or look for a lowmilage tranny.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by NewEngSurf
with the car on a flatt surface, parking break on, car in nuetral and i push the clutch in there is no sound. I then push the shifter into 1st gear (takes a little push to get it in there) and then i hear the squeeking/squeeling noise, as i slowly let off the clutch pedal the squeeking/squeeling gets louder and faster and is directly related to the possision of the clutch pedal.

millage is about 115k, if my tranny is going do u think i should look into getting it rebuilt or look for a lowmilage tranny.
well the 98's generaly dont have the bearing problems that the 95-96 had. but it COULD happen but i wouldnt think with such low miles.

if you have the time pull it all apart again and re-tighten EVERYTHING. its actually one my rules of thumb to do that after 500 miles. (army thing)

but just to be safe it wouldnt hurt to start looking for a rebuilt tranny.

go here

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/
Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM

aight, thanks for helpin me out. I dont believe the tranny is shot but u never know.

a few things you should know first of all this clutch was worn down alot from daily driving but finally blew after i did like 4 burnouts in my car, me and my boys from work did wet down the parking lot but i guess it wasnt enough. the flywheel was so burn that it needed replaceing u can see pics of it in my other thread "why you shouldnt do burnouts in a 4th gen" hopefully those burnouts didnt do more damage than just the flywheel and clutch

secondly i have done my far share of repairs to my car but there is no way i could tackle this clutch by myself, my brother is an ase certified tech so he basily just pointed to the bolts and i broke them loose and he was the brains of the opperation so i may sound like an idiot trying to explain wuts happeneing to my car.

Lastly my brother has done alot of repairs in his life and even a few clutches but there is still room for error, when we put the tranny in last night it was 8:45 and everyone was rushing because it was so dark. i remember my brothers friends just kinda threw in the new throwout bearing without greasing it and we didnt replace the fork.

hopefully if we pull the tranny out again this weekend we can find a problem and fix it.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM

another note:

i paired a 5th generation clutch disk, and pp with a fidanza flywheel, anyone else have this setup, how does it feel? any problems?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:17 AM

ok thats your problem. pull it and grease the t/o bearing nad you should be golden. the setup you have is what im doing later this year.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 AM

ok, this is making me feel a little better now, i mean the squeeking is verry loud, therefore there must be a problem with my throwout bearing, and then that problem must be related to the poor shifting. i think im going to replace the fork aswell and possibly the poilet bearing
Old 08-10-2006, 11:26 AM

i just moved my car out to the street and just moving the shifter threw all the gears while the car is turned of feels smooth......another curve ball....
Old 08-10-2006, 04:16 PM

have you tried adjusting the engagement point a little? maybe the new clutch disc is just a little thicker than the old and now it doesn't disengage all the way now... at least it sounds like it's not disengaging all the way. Get on your *** and slide under the steering wheel and adjust the clutch. Just a little. 1/3 turn at a time. If that doesn't help adjust it back. Just make sure you're adjusting it the right way.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:35 AM

aight, well i tried to adjust my pedal with no luck but a gash in my middle finger, cut it pretty bad. Well i called up a local transmission shop for some help and he said that i probly blew my slave or master, i mean it would make sense, the clutch bearly disengages , the pedal is really light, there must be no pressure, i already bled the **** outa of it so as long as the lines are alright it must be the slave/master, wut do u guys think.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:07 PM

Can you get someone to operate the clutch while you're under the car and see if the clutch slave is moving?

The hydraulics would be easier to do than dropping the tranny again but a waste of time if it's not it. It could be either from the discussions.

If's its significantly easier to shift with the engine off then that supports the hydraulics failure theory. Mebbe the clutch got so hot in your burnouts that it melted the piston rubbers?!?!?