4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What coulda made my car shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 PM

What coulda made my car shut off?

Alright,weird thing today and since I wasn't right there watching the whole time,I cant say for what happened but heres the story..... I bought a set white indiglo gauges for my car and went to reputable place to have them put in,as I have no idea hoe to do the stuff. Well the guy has them all in and he calls me out into the garage to take a look,they were all wired in but the dash was still apart,I saw them light up and he said ok all he had to do was to hardwire the power supply,he just kinda had the wire going to the fuse box but all exposed,so I say ok and walk outta the garage. Mind you he has had the car running the entire time he has been working in it,with the AC running.Well he comes out about 5 minutes later and asks me if I ever had any alternator problems with the car....wtf? He said the car stalled and it wouldn't even crank,like battery dead. I told him I never had any such problem and he said ok and went back out,I go out there and they had a battery charger on car,they cranked and although sluggish for a second it cranked up no problem,needless to say I was pissed and although I'm very pleased with the install but wtf!! why did my car stall? I drove it home about 15 miles and started and re-started 3 or 4 times outside my house with ZERO problem,not even sluggish sounding. I did notice that when I turned my radio on all the presets were erased and the settings were at default,wouldn't that only happen if the battery was disconnected or totally drained? Any ideas guys?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:34 PM

Some 97s and early 98s had an alternator recall.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 PM
I support for what?

Seems as if he had the AC running with the car off. Which drained your battery. Just charge the battery and it should be fine.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 PM

Yea? But still Ive had the car since June and never had any kinda problem with it. Ive never ran the car at idle with the AC running for over an hour before though,could that have done it? I own a motorcycle shop here in Philly and although I'm no mechanic, I have mechanics there that have tools to test charging systems on motorcycles,could I check it the same way? I would imagine that the charging system wouldnt be kicking out as much juice as when the car is under power but could just idleing with the AC running for that long just been too much of a draw?Like I said once I drove the car for a little it will start just like it always does,very quickly,never any hesitation.Could I just take my car to Nissan to see if mine is one of the recall cars? Would it matter whether or not the car has an OEM alternator in there now? I dont know if it does or not since I've never changed it but the lady I bought the car from had a whole book full of Nissan service history for the car,she gave it to me but SOOO many of them were like oil changes,tires rotated and other various small routine maintenance. My wife is outta town and I have no idea where she put the stuff so I cant find them right now but would it even matter?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:55 PM
dot dot dot ...

If you have another car lying around with a good battery, use it to check and see if it will crank.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:02 PM

I could have been that you had all this stuff running (interior lights music maybe and the a/c running) and it just drained the battery.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you have another car lying around with a good battery, use it to check and see if it will crank.
My bad bro,I'm a little tired...take the battery outta my max and put it in a car that I know has a good battery? or the other way around? Cause like i said it seems cool now,i even went out there just a minute ago and it cranked right up,I'm just concerned did this guy goof something up or was it a fluke?

ALSO: Yea the interior lights were definitely on and the AC was on full blast,not radio though,but the car was running.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Transplant a good battery into your car to rule it(the battery) out. If the car starts and runs good with the other battery from another car, then you drained your battery and need a recharge.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 PM

But it starts fine with the battery thats been in there,the one that suddenly died this afternoon,I just cant understand why did it die all of a sudden..then when chraged for a few minutes it started back up and has been fine since. Could the load of the AC and the interior lights been too much for the charging system while the car was at idle?