4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I make it so my A/C does NOT come on whenever I use defrost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:50 PM
csb

Can I make it so my A/C does NOT come on whenever I use defrost?

If so, then how? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by csb
If so, then how? Thanks.
Nope, the a/c comes on to remove humidity from the air inside the car. You notice how fast that clears the glass? You can run outside air to the widshield/side glass by manually picking the setting on the climate control. It will take longer & may even cloud up the windshield even more. Sometimes I crack the windows a little and that helps. BTW it's good to run the a/c compressor a few times (even through winter, say to defrost a fogged up winshield), as this keeps the bearings lubricated & promotes longevity.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by 95bluse
BTW it's good to run the a/c compressor a few times (even through winter, say to defrost a fogged up winshield), as this keeps the bearings lubricated & promotes longevity.
thats good advice right there, AC repair aint cheap!
Old 08-26-2006, 07:57 PM

Yea, you can do it, but it wont defrost, so its a total waste....
Old 08-26-2006, 08:33 PM
csb

That figures...I just want to completely control WHEN my A/C comes on. I do run it regularly to keep everything working properly, but I don't like for it to come on every...single...time...I use defrost. I'm aware that it's very effective, but that doesn't mean I have to like/want it, right? Maybe I'll just remove the A/C fuse and replace it when I use the air. Thx guys.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

csb, you make it sound like you use defrost everyday, i really don't see the need, i use it once a month at most, oh well
Old 08-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Nope, the a/c comes on to remove humidity from the air inside the car. You notice how fast that clears the glass? You can run outside air to the widshield/side glass by manually picking the setting on the climate control. It will take longer & may even cloud up the windshield even more. Sometimes I crack the windows a little and that helps. BTW it's good to run the a/c compressor a few times (even through winter, say to defrost a fogged up winshield), as this keeps the bearings lubricated & promotes longevity.
Well said
Old 08-27-2006, 07:46 AM
csb

Uhhh...I'm in MN, where it rains often and windshields fog regularly. Anyway, I'll just remove the A/C fuse and keep it that way the majority of the time (as I don't like A/C and turn it on only to ensure everything is working).
Old 08-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by csb
Uhhh...I'm in MN, where it rains often and windshields fog regularly. Anyway, I'll just remove the A/C fuse ........
^^^^^^
Did this guy even read what we posted about needing the compressor to properly & quickly clear foged up windows?
And the kick in the a$$ is the fact that he even lives in a wet area.

Your defoger wount work if you don't let the A/C do it's job and remove the moisture from the air. Not being able to see out of extreamly fogged up windows on wet rainy days makes driving both unsafe and not fun. So I gotta say......
Old 08-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Fire in the hole!

you don't like A/C? What are you, some kind of massochist?
Old 08-27-2006, 01:37 PM

Ha...I live in Seattle where it's 35-45 degrees and raining 100+ days in a row through the winter. (The summers are 70-80 and sunny every day however )

I don't even use my defrost that much. If it really bugs you, then toughen up a bit and crack a window. Also, they are correct in that not using the A/C with defrost will not work very well at all.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Owns way too many maximas

As everyone else said, it would be pointless to do so. Without the A/C, the window would never clear.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
^^^^^^
Your defoger wount work if you don't let the A/C do it's job and remove the moisture from the air. Not being able to see out of extreamly fogged up windows on wet rainy days makes driving both unsafe and not fun. So I gotta say......
A post like that coming from someone of your age kind of surprises me. It was only a couple of decades ago when A/C wasn't even an option on most new cars.

To eliminate fogging, you only need to raise the temperature of the glass above the dewpoint of the surrounding air. That only takes a warm engine.

Granted it does not do it nearly as quickly as "a/c-dried" air but it is still effective.

I guess it all depends on what you are used to.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:27 PM

Listen to this guy. I agree entirely. I have too read that running the AC once a month or so prevents the AC hoses from drying up and cracking.

If running the compressor freaks you out, though... you can just try the old old method of wiping the winshield every few minutes with a rag.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
csb, you make it sound like you use defrost everyday, i really don't see the need, i use it once a month at most, oh well

Maybe this guy lives in England!

Old 09-07-2006, 05:45 PM

An alternative is to select the mix mode (windshield defrost + feet vent) and that will not force the A/C compressor to come on. Use this with outside air only as recirc will most definitely trap humidity inside and make the windows really foggy.

As previous posts mentioned, running A/C compressor in the winter time helps lubricate the A/C system and prevents seals from drying out and causing increased refridgerant loss.

I do both of the above, depending on how many people I have in the car and when was the last time I had run the compressor.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM
csb

Alright all you haters and insultaholics...I pulled the A/C fuse and experimented during VERY wet weather. Well whaddya' know? The windshield and side windows cleared almost immediately (despite multiple comments to the contrary)...think I'll just leave it that way and replace the fuse only on those rare occasions that call for air. Oh, and Chefosaurus...yes, I am a masochist...that's why I wrench on cars.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:32 PM

csb, it will work in some conditions with just you or maybe another passenger. If you have passengers in your car or in the winter months, there will be too much moisture that fresh air will not be able to handle.

Moisture from breath will quickly fog up the inside, especially the back door and rear window. This is when you will need A/C to keep the moisture content low inside the car.