4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just got my first 5 speed....advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM
pmr

Originally Posted by scrhale
In a fully off-throttle state, you use 0 gas.
Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Engine RPM != fuel usage. If the throttle plates are closed (you're not on the gas), the ECU injects no fuel.
Ok this can't be right can it? You're saying that if I start my car and let it idle I'm not using gas, or do you mean that gas usage is negligible?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sigh ... repeat #3. PER THE FSM, while the car has 0 throttle (aka decellerating) and you are above 1,800 RPMs the car uses 0 gas. Once the car reaches below 1,800 then it resumes idle fuel usage. SO GET THIS PEOPLE ... It is MORE fuel efficient to be at 2.0K - 3.5K RPMs with no throttle then it is to take the car to neutral and slow completely with the brakes and place excessive wear on them. /thread
Old 09-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Funny, I never would have guessed that. That's definitely not the case with everything, I've noticed especially in drive-by-wire BMWs that they drastically reduce engine braking. I like engine braking, I'm glad the VQ30 lets itself do that.

...IB4youneedajakebrake
Old 09-06-2006, 03:19 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by pmr
Ok this can't be right can it? You're saying that if I start my car and let it idle I'm not using gas, or do you mean that gas usage is negligible?
I did not say fuel usage was zero. I just said that the amount of rpm alone does not determine the amount of fuel used.

There are some nifty cars out there that give you a liters/hour reading that is continuously updated. I think the USDM VWs and BMWs have this. It will show you where/how much the fuel is getting used.

I forget the numbers, but I'm willing to bet that the gas used to blip the throttle for a matched downshift (to get it in the engine braking/no fuel use zone) exceeds the amount of fuel if it were simply at idle.

In any case, we're talking peanuts. That's my point about the whole engine braking thing. No point doing all kind of fancy stuff to your engine and drivetrain to 'save' gas and 'save' brakes - the difference is scarcely measurable.

Dave
Old 09-06-2006, 09:46 AM
pmr

Originally Posted by scrhale
Sigh ... repeat #3. PER THE FSM, while the car has 0 throttle (aka decellerating) and you are above 1,800 RPMs the car uses 0 gas.
Sorry I missed your post with the links initially. That is some pretty interesting stuff though, thanks for pointing it out those 3 times.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You'll love the 5 speed! I'm new and amazed at how quickly the good advice flows on this site, wish I would have found it a while back. The comments on the syncros and the TO bearing are right on, you'll get much more life out of the tranny as well as avoid the potential engine blow if the foot slips by not going into first until you're stopped/ready to go.

Hey ting...I'm planning to post a '96 5spd SE w/ only 69k miles in CA once I can reach my 15 posts without cluttering the board with cr#p. Keep your eye on the for sale board.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Funny, I never would have guessed that. That's definitely not the case with everything, I've noticed especially in drive-by-wire BMWs that they drastically reduce engine braking. I like engine braking, I'm glad the VQ30 lets itself do that.

...IB4youneedajakebrake
haha (insert J-brake sound effect here)