4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Annoying 4th to 2nd downshift lag at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 AM

Annoying 4th to 2nd downshift lag at low speeds

I've noticed lately that when I'm cruising in 4th around 30mph and want to pass, I punch it to the floor, but by the time 2nd gear rolls around, the window of opportunity has passed.

It seems to lag most when I've been driving for awhile and least when just starting up -- so, by logical extension, does the temperature (and viscosity) of the tranny fluid have something to do with it?

Would a tranny cooler reduce this lag? (BTW, I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic ATF).

Does the problem lie with the oil lines; i.e., are they restrcting the fluid from building up enough pressure to trigger a shift?

Do I need any new sensors?

A related issue occurs when I come to a stop at a stop sign and then accelerate away from it. Instead of downshifting into 1st, the tranny only goes as far as 2nd gear, even though I really do come to a complete stop, and not a rolling one.

Shifting manually alleviates the problem, but I do get an occasional shift shock when downshifting from "D" to "2" when passing, or downshifting "D" to "L" when completely stopped.

One time (and thankfully one time), the resulting lag from downshifting to "L" from "D" took so long that when 2nd gear finally arrived, it did so with a loud clunk as if I had gone from reverse to drive w/o stopping first!

Any clues?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 PM

i suggest stop manualing shift your tranny. For your info my tranny do not have any shift shock when at stop shifing from D to L.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by zeeman
i suggest stop manualing shift your tranny. For your info my tranny do not have any shift shock when at stop shifing from D to L.
Why should he? If he does it at appropriate times he's not hurting anything.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Why should he? If he does it at appropriate times he's not hurting anything.
Just thought his tranny is not doing so well, so its best to let the tranny do its own thing. Just my opinion.

Oh and anytime when i floor my car under 39mph, my tranny always downshifted to first. Dont know if this help ya with diagnosing your tranny or not, but just some info to you from my car.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:17 PM

Gee, I'm so-o-o happy for you! What a lucky guy....

I used the manual shift example to illustrate that there is no slippage between gears, not to have a poor-man's Shiftronic.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 PM

I cited the manual shift example to illustrate that there is no problem with the gears themselves -- I'm not using my slushbox as a poor-man's Shiftronic.

Y'know, if I really wanted to know how many of you have trouble-free transmissions, I would have taken a poll and not asked for help.

Think about it.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Ichiban King

you auto guys, you're so funny.. hehe
Old 09-06-2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
I cited the manual shift example to illustrate that there is no problem with the gears themselves -- I'm not using my slushbox as a poor-man's Shiftronic.

Y'know, if I really wanted to know how many of you have trouble-free transmissions, I would have taken a poll and not asked for help.

Think about it.
hey man, i didnt mean to offend ya in anyway. If i did , my bad.
So back to your question, i think your tranmission is ok, fluid is okay, and cooler may not solve your symtoms -- i installed one myself and noticed no change afterwards. And the bit of lag you experience is normal as long its not too severe.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:25 PM

But there shouldn't be any shift shock when stop shifting from D to L.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:59 AM

hey man, i didnt mean to offend ya in anyway. If i did , my bad.
So back to your question, i think your tranmission is ok, fluid is okay, and cooler may not solve your symtoms -- i installed one myself and noticed no change afterwards. And the bit of lag you experience is normal as long its not too severe.
Apology accepted.

Since the lag seems to occur most often when every part of the car (except the cabin) are at their warmest due to driving with the AC on, in long lines of traffic, and when the heat index outside is 100+ degrees, it is a safe assumption to say that heat is a factor.

I should also add that the lag occurs sporadically -- which would tend to rule out anything that is solely mechanical or hydraulic.

I know that extreme heat can also affect electrical and electronic components, and given that I do not experience any lag when shifting manually, then perhaps something in the circuitry that controls the automatic shift points is malfunctioning under these hot conditions.

My car has 130k+ and is almost nine years old. Since I've already had an electronic meltdown in my cruise control system, anything is possible.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

.... Dont make me search for the threads
Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 AM

your downshifting "problem" is normal, at least the one where you almost come to a stop and it does not go into first. All 4th gen auto's seem to have this, myself included. It is the computer program.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stop moving the shift lever of your auto. You do not have a manual transmission. Those shift positions are intended for harsh terrain or inclement weather. You just have to deal with the delay.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM

hmmm... at first I was going to suggest you to install a grounding kit as I had the same frustuation as you have. I recently make my own (only 3 wires vs 4 from the kit from Active Tuning) and I immidiately notice my car pulling harder after made a turn (non-fully-stop). Then I saw you have a grounding kit install already.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I used to have that problem also. I thinks its the computer lagging on telling the tranny to shift. If you look up reviews on the 4th gen alot of them said their test auto did take a while to shift sometimes. Mine hasn't done that in a while but it really sucked cause I used to cut off people sometimes due the tranny not shifting until seconds later!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM

I have the same issue too:

1998 Infiniti I30
70K mileage
auto transmission

Every time when I start the car and accelerate, at around 5 mph(definitely < 10 mph), it has a noticeable jerk/shudder. Meanwhile, the rpm drops. Later on, when it speeds to around 20 mph, another jerk/shudder happens, but this one is smaller and less noticeable. At this time, the rpm drops too.

As I learned from my research online, the bigger jerk/shudder happens during the first shift from first gear to the second. And the smaller jerk/shudder happens from the second gear to the third.

However, after it has been driven on freeway for a while, the jerk becomes *much* less noticeable. I don't understand this because the tranny usually works better at lower temperture, doesn't it. The transmission fluid is in good condition though, in pink color, without any burnt smell. I had it changed in Aug/2005.

Is the TCM bad? someone here said that TCM can not be reset and can only be replaced. Is it right?

Do I have to change the Torque Converter? somebody else here said that a stronger TC resolves this issue.

Thanks!
eilison
Old 01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

get a manual transmission ya pansy!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:39 PM

I had this this problem on my 1994 accord. When I would be going 45+ mph i would give it some gas and the car would make 2 or 3 big jolts and then finally downshift. The problem turned out to be the torque converted solenoid. The TC would be locked in gear and wouldn't unlock right away.

This problem is also related to low ATF
Old 01-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by konak85
get a manual transmission ya pansy!
im with you on that one...lol
Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 PM

Actually highway driving has less abuse on the tranny then city driving. I have a 5spd now but i used to have a AUTO GLE AND GXE. The both in the beginning from a dead stop i would step down on the throttle and my wheels used to do a major burn out before pulling. I mean smoke burning off the tires and everything, coming from a stock engine. Now I have my 5spd and no more auto.