4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Another exhaust question

Before anyone says anything I have already searched and came up with nothing on the setup i'm looking for. I'm looking for something that's a bit louder than stock. I want to sound stock when cruising around but be heard at WOT. I have decided that I want to go with the cattman exhaust but I'm not sure if it will be too loud for what i'm looking for. A kid at my school has a cattman cat-back on his 5th gen and I loved the sound but it was a bit loud for my taste. But that is the sound that I want just not quite as loud. I was thinking about putting on just the cattman rear section with the stock b-pipe but i'm not sure if that will hurt the sound that the cattman exhaust is known for. I've read some reviews on the 4th gens and some say the cat-back is really loud compared to others and it drones at lower rpms and some say it isn't really that loud at all. BTW I already have a WS y-pipe so i'm sure that will factor into the noise level. I figure that if I go with the rear section and decide it's TOO quiet or if it's not the tone I want, I can always go back and throw in the b-pipe. Plus i'm not sure if the tone from the cattman set up comes from mostly the muffler or the b-pipe. Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 PM

cattman axleback...

NOT catback.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by NYC32798
Before anyone says anything I have already searched and came up with nothing on the setup i'm looking for. I'm looking for something that's a bit louder than stock. I want to sound stock when cruising around but be heard at WOT. I have decided that I want to go with the cattman exhaust but I'm not sure if it will be too loud for what i'm looking for. A kid at my school has a cattman cat-back on his 5th gen and I loved the sound but it was a bit loud for my taste. But that is the sound that I want just not quite as loud. I was thinking about putting on just the cattman rear section with the stock b-pipe but i'm not sure if that will hurt the sound that the cattman exhaust is known for. I've read some reviews on the 4th gens and some say the cat-back is really loud compared to others and it drones at lower rpms and some say it isn't really that loud at all. BTW I already have a WS y-pipe so i'm sure that will factor into the noise level. I figure that if I go with the rear section and decide it's TOO quiet or if it's not the tone I want, I can always go back and throw in the b-pipe. Plus i'm not sure if the tone from the cattman set up comes from mostly the muffler or the b-pipe. Any thoughts or opinions?

MUFFLER!

Straight-through mufflers cause the most noise in non-restrictive exhaust systems, followed by the cat (if it is also a less restrictive design) the Y-pipe, and lastly, the B-pipe.

Keep in mind also that cold air intakes and large tailpipe tips make more noise than stock.

If I wanted to keep the noise down while still increasing performace, I'd swap only the Y-pipe, B-pipe and muffler, but I would choose a muffler that has some noise reduction mechanism, and is not a straight-through design.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:11 AM

yea, definatly ... for performance go with y-pipe and b-pipe and keep stock muffler for only a bit deeper sound tho you wont really notice it.

other than that, go with a greedy catback and a y-pipe of your choice (cattman, warpspeed, or budget - i think cattman has no bee;'s in the can 99.9%).

greedy is a nice sound and its not tooo loud, performance gains are nice, but mufflers dont gain any performance usually, just controls the sound, the only performance gains are from y-pipes and b-pipes.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:06 AM

I have the cattman y-pipe and greddy sp2 cat-back. At idle you can't really here it at all, catches a lot of people off guard. Cruzing around town you dont here much. It's not really noticable. On the freeway you know it's there. But the best part is at WOT, you will be heard.....in a good way. I also have an injen intake which is louder than my exhaust, from the inside of the car at least. I love it.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:33 AM

Actually one of my friends back home has a greddy sp2. I compared that to the kid down here at my school with the cattman and IMO, the cattman sounds much better. What i'm really looking for is the sound that the cattman puts out but I just wasn't sure if i'd get that just from the muffler without the b-pipe. I already have an intake so as long as the exhaust isn't louder than that, I can live with it.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:07 PM

If you want just the sound get the axle back. If you want a little more power get the B with it
Old 09-09-2006, 05:55 PM

Thanks that's for the most part what I wanted to know.