4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: what kind of gas do you put in
regular
19.01%
plus
11.98%
premium
69.01%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

what kind of gasoline do you put in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 PM

what kind of gasoline do you put in?

ive heard from people that the maxima "needs" premium. depends on who you talk i guess. is it more of a need or a want?

whats the difference if i started putting in regular or plus instead of premium.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:03 PM

Premium...I treat my baby right and she does so in return
Old 09-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Difficult is NOT impossible!

I can tell the difference from just plain regular but not plus from premium, plus, if I have the money I put the good stuff in but mostly middle grade for my max
Old 09-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have read the stories of people changing to regular and getting pinging, losing power, and almost everyone will tell you that you will lose gas milage. I haven't tried this little experiment out for myself and I don't plan to. I'm sticking with 93.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:20 PM

If i'm not mistaken maxima's require Premium Unleaded, but like u said depends who u ask, but personally when i first got a max i used to use regular but once i heard that it requires premium and i used it, it made a HUGE difference with me, so i'm a PREMIUM user ever since then on 3 maxima's i've owned. I only used the BP or the SHELL Premium thats the cleanest out there IMO ..
Old 09-09-2006, 10:24 PM
SHIFT_up

Maxima requires premium btw...
Old 09-09-2006, 11:22 PM

boo for gas prices. i guess ill switch. i hope i get better gas mileage.. D:
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 PM

Premium, why buy regular if your just going to end up where you started (at the gas pump) faster.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Fre$h_TurK

gas prices are goin lower...

Old 09-10-2006, 12:50 AM

yay my ban is over.... anyways i put in plus and sometimes V power when i feel happy
Old 09-10-2006, 02:52 AM

hmm i run mine on 87 sometime and never notice any difference.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Maintenance Monster

I used to use 93 octane only, but decided to put in 89 back during Katrina prices. Mileage never went down, knock sensor code never came up, kept on doing it.

I could use 87, but I have a feeling that wouldn't quite get the job done.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Proud Maxima Owner

I have faithfully been running 93 octane for years now. I log my fuel records on http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ which is a helpful tool. I wanted to test if 87 octane makes a big difference in mileage, driveability, and any other noticable affects. I have a 1/4 of a tank left, so far I've noticed that the car shifts better w/ 87. I don't have the mileage yet but I will post results next week.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:49 AM

Can the Maxima benefit from 91 octane vs. 87? YES

Does mileage go down when lower octane is used? NO, that's a myth that people seem to want to keep going, like many of the internet hoaxes. One person went so far as to say that 87 affects one's foot thereby yielding lower mpgs, what a stretch.

One thing has drastically changed since I started replying to these octane threads--I always said that premium is relatively cheap. When regular was 1.099, premium was 1.299, 20 cents more. When regular was 3.099, premium was 3.299. In the later, 20 cents more is relatively cheap.

This time around, as regular returned to say 2.579, premium is no longer just 20 cents more. I see it as much as 40 cents more, or on avg. about 30 cents more. That means that the elasticity of demand has changed a bit for super.

I can't believe it's 2006 and this debate is still going on. I wouldn't answer but I hate the myths like mpgs are better with higher octane, the knock sensor is ruined by lower octane, stuff like that. Even mfg's have gotten with the times because they don't want to market the cars as requiring premium. Take the Toyota Avalon for example--Toyota says premium is recommended but regular may be used. Why? You guessed it, because of something called a knock sensor.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:54 AM

I've been running 87 for a few years. I noticed no difference when I switched. I initially would go back and forth and log my mileage and since I noticed no change for the worse, I stuck with 87. My mpg only seems to change with my driving style, not the type of gas that goes in. Now most of my driving has been highway and now with over 200k on the car, she still runs great and I will continue to use 87.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Geo T
Another stupid post!
uuh and yours isn't?

back on topic:

i use that 91...usually costs ten cents higher than the regular but hey...i need to keep my car in tiptop shape so i can transport those corpses around.

i've noticed for some reason that Vpower from SHell drops down a lot faster than the usual arco or chevron...
Old 09-10-2006, 05:54 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Geo T
Another stupid post!
Not near as stupid as the person who said regular fuel damaged his knock sensor.

Oh wait, that was you.

Dave
Old 09-10-2006, 06:22 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

nuthin but 93.....nething else is uncivilized

but to answer your question the maxima ECU is programed to run on regular NOT super. JWT reprograms it to run on higher octane so you can reap the benefits but the stocker isnt.....
Old 09-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine

Does mileage go down when lower octane is used? NO, that's a myth that people seem to want to keep going, like many of the internet hoaxes. One person went so far as to say that 87 affects one's foot thereby yielding lower mpgs, what a stretch.
You keep saying this but you don't back it up. I'll repeat what I said in another thread so maybe you can answer it this time. Honestly, I'm all ears.

If you're using a low grade of gas, your engine is more likely to knock. If the ECU detects knock, it retards timing and richens the mixture to compensate. This is not a matter of debate. Nor is it a matter of debate that a richer mixture means more fuel is injected, which by definition means more fuel usage. Unless, as I also said in the other thread, you live on a planet in which fuel magically regenerates itself as you drive.

So, if your driving style and driving conditions are such that your car won't knock with 87 octane, e.g. easy highway driving, of course you won't notice any difference in mileage between 87 and 93 octane. Your ECU will run as much timing advance and as lean a mixture as it can, and it'll be fine.

But, if your driving style and driving conditions are more strenuous, your ECU will not be able to use that much timing advance and that lean a mixture without causing knock UNLESS it uses a higher octane. In that case, you WILL notice a difference in mileage between 87 and 93 octane.

Since more people fall into the former category than the latter, it is possible to say that most people will not notice the difference between 87 and 93 octane. But the argument that octane has no effect on mileage whatsoever is untenable, because there are some instances in which the difference is very large and very noticeable.

I, personally, can tell the difference between 87 and 93 octane very easily. The way I drive, it's good for 3-5 mpg. And I can tell you for sure that it does affect my foot: one of the things I'm most intimately aware of about my car is how much passing power I have on the highway at part throttle in 5th gear, and I am absolutely dead certain that I have a little less with 87 octane than 93 octane.

I can't believe it's 2006 and this debate is still going on. I wouldn't answer but I hate the myths like mpgs are better with higher octane, the knock sensor is ruined by lower octane, stuff like that. Even mfg's have gotten with the times because they don't want to market the cars as requiring premium. Take the Toyota Avalon for example--Toyota says premium is recommended but regular may be used. Why? You guessed it, because of something called a knock sensor.
No one wants to market cars that require premium because gas prices are high and, since the engines can tolerate regular, they don't want people to feel pressured. It has NOTHING to do with the potential performance or mileage benefits of higher octane fuels.

Besides, saying "premium is recommended but regular may be used" still means the engine will be at its best with premium.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^^^ An excellent post. I can definitely agree with the passing power statement. I remember I gave my 95 to my dad once and he filled it with 87. I wanted to scream at him for that one, but I couldn't complain about free gas. It wasn't till I was on my way back to college and HAD TO DOWNSHIFT in order to pass people on the highways that I noticed the car was not performing correctly. It is science and not opinion that determines that premium gets better gas mileage ... and it does.

/thread
Old 09-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Maxima Owner

where the choice for Diesel
Old 09-10-2006, 07:57 AM

heres a little tip...

with the gas prices being so high these days, one of my buddies who works at the gas station told me that you should not put in gas on a hot day. this is more of an issue in the summer (or for you you people who get hot days even in the fall/spring). the heat will make the gas in the tank below the station more vapor and you will be getting less than you would if it was cooler. he always told me if you know its a hot day wait for the cool night or early morning.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Ichiban King

gas prices dropped here this week $2.50 p/gallon. so get up, get in the max and go get some premium and treat your car right.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:36 AM

I used to run 87 regularly in my car. I have since switched to 89 (midgrade)-
(93 is prem in NC). I use 93 when going long distances.
This fuel issue will never die. There are too many variables. I too feel a difference between 87 and 93, and as has been covered before, drive the appropriate way for the fuel I use. I can say for certain tho, that my mileage does not vary that much regardless of what grade fuel I use. It varies more depending on how and where I drive. I routinely get between 390 to 415 miles to a tank a week regardless of the grade of gas.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:37 AM
SHIFT_up

IDK, I have never, ever put 87 in any car that i owned. They actually all happened to be Nissan's too, but they only saw 93. My 05 4 cylinder Altima only sees 93. I fill up w/ 93 at Shell V-power and that lasts me 1 week...always, that's roughly around 300-350 miles and i push the car all the time!! I'm certain that with 87 the car would not perform aswell, get the same mileage, and the fuel would burn up alot faster and cause knock. I never look at prices when I'm filling up, i always go for the premium stuff not only because the car requires it, but i feel good knowing that my car is running on it's finest potential.

Prices in NY are unreal but that never stopped me. Couple of weeks back 93 was at 3.59/g and i think it ran me way over 60 bucks to fill my tank.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:56 AM

nuttin but 93 fo me
Old 09-10-2006, 11:22 AM

Another stupid gas thread that is going to get to 5 pages by next weekend
Old 09-10-2006, 11:25 AM

I find that I get horrible pinging on anything under 91 octane.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
Another stupid gas thread that is going to get to 5 pages by next weekend

yeah
Old 09-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

put premium in any car, the octane level s help keep the cars vitals clean and u get better gas miles
Old 09-10-2006, 12:13 PM

wow, I never knew, I'm going to change to Premium when I refuel next time...
Old 09-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Oh my christ, can someone please just consolidate all the gas threads into one huge black hole thread of retardedness and permaban anyone else who starts another one?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Not near as stupid as the person who said regular fuel damaged his knock sensor.

Oh wait, that was you.

Dave
Old 09-10-2006, 03:06 PM

One thing has drastically changed since I started replying to these octane threads--I always said that premium is relatively cheap. When regular was 1.099, premium was 1.299, 20 cents more. When regular was 3.099, premium was 3.299. In the later, 20 cents more is relatively cheap.

This time around, as regular returned to say 2.579, premium is no longer just 20 cents more. I see it as much as 40 cents more, or on avg. about 30 cents more. That means that the elasticity of demand has changed a bit for super.

I haven't done any tests on the Maxima, but until recently I owned a '93 240sx. That car *loved* premium (as recommended in the owner's manual). During the 4 years of ownership, I carefully tracked my gas consumption and found that when using 87 octane, fuel consumption would be higher by roughly 10% compared to using 91 octane. This meant that above a certain price, it was cheaper to fill up with premium than regular. I chose premium because of the roughly equivalent costs in the end and the added benefits of using the higher-octane fuel.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:44 PM

I have a 97 GLE and use regular unleaded. I get 24 mpg, but I've been known to drive 115 mph when I'm late for class or just really want to get home. I'll try the premium next time and see what happens. My mom uses regular in her 96 GLE and it's still going strong at over 240,000. Could I get 300K out of mine if I switch to premium? I only have 98K now.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by dredubb04
I've been known to drive 115 mph when I'm late for class or just really want to get home.
And this something you're proud of???
Old 09-10-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by D-3vil
I haven't done any tests on the Maxima, but until recently I owned a '93 240sx. That car *loved* premium (as recommended in the owner's manual). During the 4 years of ownership, I carefully tracked my gas consumption and found that when using 87 octane, fuel consumption would be higher by roughly 10% compared to using 91 octane. This meant that above a certain price, it was cheaper to fill up with premium than regular. I chose premium because of the roughly equivalent costs in the end and the added benefits of using the higher-octane fuel.
The thing is octane has nothing to do with mpg's, period. It has to do with predetonation. Why your fuel consumption went up by 10% when using 87 octane is anybody's guess. Saying that it's cheaper to fill up with premium than regular is simply wrong. Given the facts you stated, it would be impossible to draw the conclusion that you have.

I just thank goodness people who believe that higher octane = higher mpg's aren't running clinical trials for tomorrow's miracle drugs. We'd be in a whole lot of trouble if that were the case.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:17 PM

wait so whats the verdict, does premium really help gas mileage, I know that it definately helps performance... I just want to know since I consider myself a newbie when it come to cars.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 PM
4thgenSuperman

Originally Posted by ethnic6
wait so whats the verdict, does premium really help gas mileage, I know that it definately helps performance... I just want to know since I consider myself a newbie when it come to cars.
premium does help you when it comes to performance. but when i run i use 110 octance and mix it with a lil bit of 93.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 PM

so its total BS when they all say that it helps Gas Mileage then right?

Quick Reply: what kind of gasoline do you put in?