4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone have a stock vs. intake dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone have a stock vs. intake dyno?

Does ANYONE have dyno results for a stock intake vs. aftermarket intake? I just read over all the threads of everyone arguing over which intake is best between stock, HAI, and CAI. I searched and have not found one dyno showing gains or losses of any intakes. I have a HAI and some people claim that they lose horsepower in the low end and gain in the upper end and it is the opposite with a CAI. Then others say that the stock intake is the all around best as far as performance goes. I see all these arguments about them yet there are no proven dyno results. When I installed my HAI, I can't say I noticed any loss in the low end rpms but also didn't really notice any gains in the upper rpms on the butt dyno. Tomorrow at school, i'm going to do a run on my car with the HAI then install the CAI and see what happens but I don't think there will be much of a difference since the hood will be open on both runs. Unfortunately I don't have my stock intake so I can't do a run with it. What I'm really trying to find is a stock vs. intake dyno.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:23 AM

That is because most of the information on this forum is based on the butt-dyno. Is that a bad thing ... yes. Are people going to go get a $60 dollar dyno after spending 60 on the intake or 200+ on the exhaust ... NO. It is not economical to get a dyno when you get small mods. It is all about the dyno with 3.5, DEK, 00VI, etc
Old 09-13-2006, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by NYC32798
Does ANYONE have dyno results for a stock intake vs. aftermarket intake? I just read over all the threads of everyone arguing over which intake is best between stock, HAI, and CAI. I searched and have not found one dyno showing gains or losses of any intakes. I have a HAI and some people claim that they lose horsepower in the low end and gain in the upper end and it is the opposite with a CAI. Then others say that the stock intake is the all around best as far as performance goes. I see all these arguments about them yet there are no proven dyno results. When I installed my HAI, I can't say I noticed any loss in the low end rpms but also didn't really notice any gains in the upper rpms on the butt dyno. Tomorrow at school, i'm going to do a run on my car with the HAI then install the CAI and see what happens but I don't think there will be much of a difference since the hood will be open on both runs. Unfortunately I don't have my stock intake so I can't do a run with it. What I'm really trying to find is a stock vs. intake dyno.
Awhile back a local guy ran his car on the dyno briefly without any filter. He showed no gains. I think he completely removed the intake up to the MAF.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 95bluse
Awhile back a local guy ran his car on the dyno briefly without any filter. He showed no gains. I think he completely removed the intake up to the MAF.
Oh thats smart
Old 09-13-2006, 09:03 AM

There is one that I think Zack did that compared the stock midpipe to an FC midpipe.
Stock>FC
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 AM

its like 1hp... who cares........... Its more of a question if you want ur car loud at WOT or not.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 AM

Not sure if this is going to help or not, but here is Injens dyno tests with their CAI installed on a 4th gen max.

http://www.injen.com/webpages/testin...les/RD1925.jpg
Old 09-13-2006, 12:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

I have a comaprison with my A33B... I know I know, it's the 4g forum, but food for thought.

If you're really serious about modding then you'll find ways to find data that intakes do work, but most on here are too cheap to spare any $$.
Originally Posted by scrhale
Are people going to go get a $60 dollar dyno after spending 60 on the intake or 200+ on the exhaust ... NO.
I can't see why they would not want to verify that they have increased some performance aspect on their car after spending money on it soley for that purpose.

There are other ways to know if an engine (not a pulley) mod worked simply by data collection vs dynoing, sure it costs money, but hey you just spent 60$+ on an intake, and now you're too cheap/broke to spend on something to prove it worked...

Another reason why people rely on the butt dyno, because they feel as if because they spent money on it, they're golden.

Whatever makes you sleep at night... I like hard facts & data.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
Oh thats smart
It was smart wasn't it? He proved that there is no gain and there was no damage because it was done in a confined area for a brief period.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Ok I just got back from school and found something a bit interesting. Unfortunately I do not have a scanner so I cannot post the sheet itself. I used a brand new k&n filter that came with the CAI on both runs and yes it is a true k&n filter and not the crappy ones that come in the ebay kits. The dyno used was a dynojet.

Conditions: 79.27 degrees, 29.82 in-Hg., Humidity 29%

HAI: HP: 170,94 Torque: 179.54
CAI: HP: 172.53 Torque: 178.46

As stated you probably can't really tell if there are gains with a CAI on the dyno because with the hood open the temps. are basically the same. This is what surprised me. We decided to pull the filter off just for fun to see what would happen on the CAI. Here are the results:

No Filter: HP: 177.15 Torque: 185.59

That came as a surprise to me. I guess k&n filters aren't that great after all. The thing that put a smile on my face is that I made those numbers with just a y-pipe and intake on an engine with 212,000 miles. Another funny thing was people under estimated the max and thought i'd pull 150 at the most. But I proved them wrong.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:57 PM

Dynoing a intake isnt really possible. your car isnt moving, therefore not sucking up any air, a CAI is good cause it sucks up the cold air at the lowest possible point WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING! sitting still you wont notice much of a difference.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Dynoing a intake isnt really possible. your car isnt moving, therefore not sucking up any air, a CAI is good cause it sucks up the cold air at the lowest possible point WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING! sitting still you wont notice much of a difference.
It works fine. They've got big fans to put in front of your car.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:15 PM
dot dot dot ...

If your engine is seeing more air, it's up to you to take advantage and utilize it as effeciently as possible. If not, you must just want it for sound.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:39 PM

What I really wanted to do was stock vs. CAI but like I said I left my stock intake home which is 1200 miles away so I was unable to do it. The HAI vs. CAI just gave me an excuse to get my car on the dyno at school. I know the gains would probably be small if there even are any but I just wanted to find out once and for all if there really are any gains by switching to an aftermarket intake or if the stock intake is better for performance as some people claim. I've just been reading all of these threads of people arguing over which intake is the best yet no one has any proven results to back it up. Once I go back home, i'm gonna get it on a dyno at a local shop and end this argument once and for all. It may be stupid since like everyone says the gains are minimal but it's just something that bugs me and I want to find out for myself.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:51 PM
dot dot dot ...

yet no one has any proven results to back it up.
MAF signal changes w/ an intake, so therefore.... engine is seeing more air, check the exhaust (a/f) and adjust accordingly... get more gains...

It's really quite simple.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Ichiban King

No Filter: HP: 177.15 Torque: 185.59

That came as a surprise to me. I guess k&n filters aren't that great after all. The thing that put a smile on my face is that I made those numbers with just a y-pipe and intake on an engine with 212,000 miles. Another funny thing was people under estimated the max and thought i'd pull 150 at the most. But I proved them wrong.
ya think?.. monsterflow is FTW, I honestly dare you to try it. Also it has the best design of any filter and came with mine from Cattman. It has a velocity stack system for less turbulence, stabilizing fins for the same reason, two stage filter with silicone tacking agent to further not gunk the MAF and to filter out more particles, all the while using a new type of material (which appears to be foam, BUT IS NOT THE SAME) to improve air flow. Plus you really don;t need a **** air filter like a K&n unless your in sandy conditions or if there's a lot of small particulate in the air. To further this, the filter's in your fender therefore needing even less protection IMO, except from maybe water if you're a moron.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
MAF signal changes w/ an intake, so therefore.... engine is seeing more air, check the exhaust (a/f) and adjust accordingly... get more gains...

It's really quite simple.
Did I tell ya haha, I've decided to let my car look completely stock (aka. like crap) in lieu of coilovers. I'm going with eManage Ultimate.. hopefully that A/F will clean up nicely.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:52 PM

I'll have to try that monsterflow. I've read good things about it but the only down side to it is it needs cleaning more often. I was surprised to see that it gained nearly 5hp with the filter off. I forgot to add before that it was running pretty lean. At WOT, the A/F ratio was over 16:1. So the A/F needs to be adjusted.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Ichiban King

I'll have to try that monsterflow. I've read good things about it but the only down side to it is it needs cleaning more often. I was surprised to see that it gained nearly 5hp with the filter off. I forgot to add before that it was running pretty lean. At WOT, the A/F ratio was over 16:1. So the A/F needs to be adjusted.
well the monsterflow may need to be cleaned more, but the manual says to clean every __? (cant remember, long time though lol.) But remember this, it's in your fender and mine is hardly dirty at all. I'd say you'd have to clean it more often if it were and Injen style or even shortram. I know in my fender, I vacummed it out and sealed it pretty well from the lower side, so that only air gets in and I've had it on the car for about 2-3k miles and its fine/clean and im very happy.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:41 PM

You would make less power after the A/F ratio is tweaked to a richer mixture. But interesting comparison regardless. Would you mind posting an image of the graphical measurements? I'm interested in seeing the powerband with respect to engine speed.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

At WOT, the A/F ratio was over 16:1. So the A/F needs to be adjusted
Christ.... ...That's much too lean, surprised your engine didn't melt.
Originally Posted by FantasyGod
You would make less power after the A/F ratio is tweaked to a richer mixture
Depends on too many factors.. ECT ..14.7:1 is stoich... but too lean for WOT all the time,

13.5 seems to be a favorite for dyno tuning around here.

Originally Posted by FantasyGod
I'm interested in seeing the powerband with respect to engine speed
You mean a dyno.. ??
Old 09-13-2006, 09:09 PM

I'll try to post the dyno results next time I visit my relatives cause I don't have a scanner unfortunately. The A/F ratio chart shows 3 different lines. 1 is dotted at 13:1 so i'm guessing that's where it's supposed to be. There are 2 other solid lines and one is at about 15:1, but the other is at about 16:1 so I don't know which one to go by. Either way they both show that it's lean. I guess I need to get my ecu tuned.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

So.... I'm guessing you don't have the runfiles then?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:16 PM

All I have is a piece of paper showing the graphs.