4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I look for threads with the 1005 code pics, but nothing, so here are some..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I look for threads with the 1005 code pics, but nothing, so here are some..

The EGRC green valve everyone is asking for. It is held at the bottom with a 10mm bolt. I hope this takes my 1005 code away:

The other two EGRC valves, black and brown:

I hope this helps other people.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:54 PM
No more Maximas...

That's weird...I don't have that solenoid valve (at least, not in that location). I just did my knock sensor last night and there was a bracket there, but nothing on it...
Old 09-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
That's weird...I don't have that solenoid valve (at least, not in that location). I just did my knock sensor last night and there was a bracket there, but nothing on it...
Its prolly because your car is not OBDII.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:15 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Drivin Maxima
Its prolly because your car is not OBDII.
Wow, it's not? That's amazing, news to me.

Because driving down the road with the OBD-II handheld on, recording several datasets (among RPM, speed, MAF grams/s, and TPS%) seemed to work just fine.

All 4th gens are OBD-II. Search. Learn.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Wow, it's not? That's amazing, news to me.

Because driving down the road with the OBD-II handheld on, recording several datasets (among RPM, speed, MAF grams/s, and TPS%) seemed to work just fine.

All 4th gens are OBD-II. Search. Learn.
Whoa Whoa calm down there slugger. First of all RPM, Speed, MAF and TPS signals are recorded in OBDI AND OBDII. The computer monitors them to make the car run. It uses stuff like EGR flow, and pre and post cat O2 sensors, and EVAP monitors to make sure its running right and leagally (which are all part of the OBDII functions of the cars comp, and are what the state looks at when your mechanic plugs the 16 pin DLC to your car when he/she does your emissions test every year if your state requires it)

Second, correct me if Im wrong, but your info says that you drive a 95 right?? Well from what I hear OBDII didnt become effective till 96. Now all 4th gen Maximas might have been built on the same platform and with the same basic VQ30 engine, but that doesnt necessarily mean that they were all OBDII compiant. Theres a reason that the state has a cutoff year for your cars emission test to run on a dyno or get hooked up to a computer.

I may be wrong and if I am then someone correct me. However, just cause your a Maxima enthusiast, own a Maxima, and are on Maxima.org doesnt mean you know everything about them.......
Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 PM

Good pics. What are the main symptoms of a bad EGR valve? Just wondering...too lazy to search.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Too much miss information here.
ALL 4th gens are OBDII.
A fed spec 95 does not have the MAP sensor (aka boost sensor) and the accompaning brown solenoid. It also has a slightly different EVAP setup, so there is only one solenoid that controls BOTH EGR and EVAP. A 95 cali spec is like any other 96-98 Maxima. The black solenoid is for EVAP, and the green is for EGR.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:08 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Drivin Maxima
Second, correct me if Im wrong, but your info says that you drive a 95 right?? Well from what I hear OBDII didnt become effective till 96. Now all 4th gen Maximas might have been built on the same platform and with the same basic VQ30 engine, but that doesnt necessarily mean that they were all OBDII compiant. Theres a reason that the state has a cutoff year for your cars emission test to run on a dyno or get hooked up to a computer.

I may be wrong and if I am then someone correct me. However, just cause your a Maxima enthusiast, own a Maxima, and are on Maxima.org doesnt mean you know everything about them.......
I never alleged that I know everything about them. I do, however, happen to know as an absolute fact that every 4th gen is OBD-II compliant, and has
the standard DLC port (as well as a Consult data port).

1996 is the year that OBD-II compliance, i.e. DLC, pinouts, location, and DTC's became mandated, but there was compliance as early as 1994 with the 'in-progress' OBD-II spec- Toyota was the first, in 1994. Yes, I drive a '95, but Nissan started a year early with OBD-II, and it would cost a considerable amount to have to switch OBD systems after only a one-year production of this generation.

State emission tests that won't OBD hookup cars <1996 is purely to make their job easier, as pre-96 vehicles may or may not have OBD-II, and if they do it may not be up to the mandated spec. When I was in MD, the emissions area ran my car on the dyno for emissions, and when I asked them to check with the OBD hookup just to see if it'd read correctly, they humored me and it did.

I don't mean to come off as an ******* or anything, but we really do need a large sticky at the top of the thread index in large bold letters, all 4th gens OBD-II compliant. It comes up here and there and there are always long, drawn out...'arguments' about it.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:10 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by JSutter
Too much miss information here.
ALL 4th gens are OBDII.
A fed spec 95 does not have the MAP sensor (aka boost sensor) and the accompaning brown solenoid. It also has a slightly different EVAP setup, so there is only one solenoid that controls BOTH EGR and EVAP. A 95 cali spec is like any other 96-98 Maxima. The black solenoid is for EVAP, and the green is for EGR.
AFAIK, my '95 is fed spec, so that's the OE setup, with no solenoid there?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

youll have one and only one solenoid some where in that area.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:45 PM

Cali Spec to FED spec

Hi,

I've been searching forever for this. CEL threw a 1005. Problem is, My original engine was a FED spec.... it crashed and burned (figuratively speaking of course) and I had to replace the engine.

Called for a used engine. Put it in and found out it's CALI spec. (Just found out a week ago that there was a difference).

Can someone here help me turn my CALI spec back to the the FED spec to match my current wires and existing canister? There is a whole lot of unmatched vacuum hose.

One thing at a time. I need to convert my EGR vacuum solinoid back to FED spec...I still have my old engine. It's still difficult to match because the CALI spec has soo many hoses.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:16 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by JSutter
youll have one and only one solenoid some where in that area.
I have the green one, but its not in that area its in a different spot. Thats why I had such a hard time replacing it because I didn't know where it was. btw I have a 95.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah... my car doesn't have the brown one. i only see the green.