4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

RSB with aftermarket struts/springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

RSB with aftermarket struts/springs?

Does the RSB work well with aftermarket struts and springs? I'm thinking Progress/Illumina. I installed the Progress RSB (with stock suspension) a few months ago and I love it, wish I'd done it much earlier.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:12 AM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Get the Progress/Illumina set up, w/ your Progress RSB and you'll love it even more. That's what I have, and it's great!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

RSB+sport springs makes the rear a bit twitchy & unpredictable, especially over rough roads. Sweepers are fun, but there is no warning before the rear end simply lets go of the road. There are a few threads regarding this topic and a few good spin outs as well.
I found that my H&R/Illumina setup road much better and was more predictable without the RSB.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Still chugging along...

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I found that my H&R/Illumina setup road much better and was more predictable without the RSB.
I have the H&R/Illumina setup and I just got my Progress RSB in last week. I'm having second thoughts about installing it now because I read some of the same type comments that it can tend to make the rear end a bit loose and unpredictable in the corners and that's not something I want.

Others like Geo T (see post #2 above) say it's great. I suppose I'll just have to take the time and install it and see for myself. I'm just lazy and don't want to have to crawl back under the car to remove it if it makes the rear end looser than I want to deal with.

I'm pretty happy with the way it handles now compared to stock, but if I'm leaving some performance in the twisties on the table by not installing it, I won't be satisfied. I would definately recommend getting a FSTB before the RSB. I installed a cheap one as my first handling mod and could feel a world of difference instantly. Cheap, easy mod and the best bang for the buck IMO.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:26 AM
B!tch We Got a Problem

When I first installed the Progress/ Illumina suspension, handling & looks were good. As time went by, it started to get better. Once I install the Progress RSB, I was having second thoughts with it on , but once it was on for a while and playing with the settings on the Illumina's it got better!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Geo T
When I first installed the Progress/ Illumina suspension, handling & looks were good. As time went by, it started to get better. Once I install the Progress RSB, I was having second thoughts with it on , but once it was on for a while and playing with the settings on the Illumina's it got better!
have you ever gone Auto X'ing?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Still chugging along...

What's your tire size? Driving style? Illumina Settings front/rear?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 AM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Stock tire size (for now) 18's next season

Driving style: Spirited, occasionally road race

Progress/Illumina F-3
R-3

With out the RSB, the rear was set at 4.

Progress RSB
FSTB
Old 09-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Still chugging along...

Stock tire size (for now) 18's next season

Driving style: Spirited, occasionally road race

Progress/Illumina F-3
R-3

With out the RSB, the rear was set at 4.

Progress RSB
FSTB
I have 350Z 17"s. I currently have fronts set to 2 and rears to 3. I have a FSTB also. I'm installing the Progress RSB today and I'll see how I like it. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:28 PM

im curently on Eibach/AGX's, with a Progress RSB. I will tell you that i was dropped be4 i put on my RSB, and i did feel a diff. It is a lot sturdier in the rear. I like the more stiff ride, so its basically preference.