4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

URGENT Advice: Front Axle replacements on 99 Max SE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:34 PM

URGENT Advice: Front Axle replacements on 99 Max SE?

Hi,
Sorry if this is a repeat question but the search function was not working for me.

I am in urgent need of advice for a 99 Maxima SE Auto with ABS (127K miles).
Its my wifes car and while getting an oil change this past weekend at Merchants Auto, the mechanic pointed out the front left and right CV boots as being broken. They said that I needed 2 new axles on the front and quoted me $550 for the total job.

After coming home I did some research and have since read that usually if the CV boots are busted then the axle should also be replaced if it gets contaminated. Not sure when the break occurred - it was not pointed out at last months oil change so it may not be that old. Plus, the joints do not make any noise when making sharp turns yet. However, I do feel that braking on the highway has a pulsing feel to it (could it be that the oil from the boots is now getting onto the rotors hence impacting braking?)

The Nissan dealerships are quoting prices in the $1000+ range for the job and thats with refurbished axles. New ones are over twice as much...

Is it ok to go with a re-furbished axle and have it installed by a non-dealership mechanic? Is the labor pretty complicated or would a semi-decent mechanic be able to replace an axle without complicating matters?

Finally, does the 99 Maxima SE have a LSD?

Sorry for the basic rapid-fire questions - hoping that someone might be able to respond soon so I can make a better decision on how to tackle this issue. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Willing to learn

I have replaced a ton of these axle boots over time. Usually if found soon enough it is OK to simply clean and re-boot the old axle with new grease. It is a moderately difficult job for a DIY noob, but any shop can handle it with no problem. The LABOR to re-boot should actually be more than for new axles, since it is quite the messy job. This would however decrease the parts cost significantly. But some shops might not offer this option.

Oh, and your Max does not have LSD.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Maxima Owner

find a local ORG memeber to help u change them for a case of beer and parts....
Old 09-25-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the responses guys!

oldngivout - yeah, the first shop said that the axles HAD to be replaced - they did not tell me that I might be ok with just a boot replacement/greasing. So, I am going with the worst-case scenario of contemplating an axle change.

So any local DC area members interested in helping out with an axle replacement? Any shop recommendations?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Raxles.com order the axles from them, they'll last forever, there so nice i feel bad putting them on my car, then call all the local mechanics and see what they want, that or find somone to do it for you.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:39 PM

Raxles make excellent axles, great customer service and fast shipping.

A local org member would change your axles for a fraction of the cost and should only take a few hours at the most.