4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cant remove old fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cant remove old fuel filter

I am having problems removing my old fuel filter for replacement. I do not think it has ever been changed and the car has 105k miles on it. I followed these instructions http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/fuelfilter.html
and have tried to keep cranking the engine to loosen up the fuel pressure but it seems to have no effect. I am pulling with all of my might to the point that I worry about breaking the hose on the fuel filter. Would it be possible to use penetrating oil or something to loosen up the hose without messing anything up? Any suggestions would be great, thx.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:07 PM
I support for what?

Just cut the hose right where it ends on the filter. That what I ended up doing to 1 of my hoses. They are a *****.

I read on here somewhere that someone says to take off the gas cap as it releases the pressure. I dont know as I changed mine before I found that.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 PM

definitly open your gas cap tp releave pressure but that won't help in getting the hose off. Try using a pair of pliers and use a twisting motion to break them loose, if that won't help, cut them right where the filter tip ends and install the clamps and the new filter.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 PM

You can try to get a screwdriver between the filter and the hose to break the "seal". Then grab the hose in one hand, the filter in the other, and twist, twist and twist. It take quite a bit to get them apart.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 PM

snap-on tools sells a fuel hose pliers that acts as a spreader/separator. just what the doctor ordered to do this job.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:37 PM

I used a panel removal tool ($7), it works wonders. Pick one up, you'll find this tool to come in handy. The rubber tubes will slide right off because there will be even pressure on most of the tube. Get the tool underneath the rubber tube and pull.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:23 PM

when you cut the hose watch out cuz gas is gonna spray all over, at least thats what happened to me when i got fed up with trying to yank the hose off.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:21 AM

Is this going to be a problem everytime I want to change the filter, or is it only when you don't change your filter often enough? I've tried PB Blaster, and it doesn't help either. I've got my system fully depressurized. I'm almost at the point of cutting the hoses right now.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by gratuitous
Is this going to be a problem everytime I want to change the filter, or is it only when you don't change your filter often enough? I've tried PB Blaster, and it doesn't help either. I've got my system fully depressurized. I'm almost at the point of cutting the hoses right now.
Be careful with the PB Blaster. Not sure of the effect it has on fuel lines, but you definately do not want soft rubber hosing carrying gasoline. the screwdrive suggestion is the answer. take a small flathead and pry the hose up. you will hear the seal break. Then as the other poster said, twist with all of your might. you dont want to cut the hose unless you are going to replace the whole hose. things are tight enough as it is as a short hose will make next time harder.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:46 AM

Thanks, I'll try again. Who would have thought that a little old fuel filter would be so much trouble to replace?!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:03 AM

be like chubby checker and do the twist.....worked for me after I initially tried to just pull that sucka off.

it will probably always be a problem since you're dealing with a pressurized, rubber line that is being clamped onto metal, i.e. has a chance to become stuck on pretty good. That's why i don't recommend cutting the hoses; change your fuel filter enough and you just keep on shortening the line...

but to each his own

I'd try the panel tool as well, that sounds like the best idea
Old 01-13-2007, 09:01 AM

I used a screw driver on mine and pulled hard. Take the top hose off first and the bottom hose is pretty easy. Take patience though. Helps ALOT to remove the MAF and air box cover, especially for getting the new filter back on. Gives alot more room. I have never tried is, but have heard of crushing the pipe coming out of the filter and then the hose will slip off. Might damage the hose though?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:58 AM

There is nothing wrong with cutting the hose. There is enough slack. Just dont cut really far down. Gas won't spray all over if you relieve fuel pressure properly. It will leak fuel but not spray out. I've never had a problem doing it that way.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:27 AM

I finally got that top hose off. Removing the MAS housing gave me the extra room I needed to get more leverage on the screw driver. I just used the screw driver to pry the hose off like you guys said. It took a little patience, but I finally got it. Removing that MAS was the key, it only took a second to remove, and I cleaned out the TB while I had it off. She's got a nice clean idle in drive when I'm stopped at stop lights again. Thanks for the help, fellas.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:41 AM

now turn the old filter upside down and watch the black goo come out.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:14 AM

when taking any hose off youre supposed to either twist it or use a pick to break the seal before you tug away at it. thats so you dont strech or break it. plus it will save you frustration and time.

but now do what 2damizzax said. it makes you feel good about the replacement haha

edit: i have some beef with those directions too. after you pull the fuse it says to start it and let it die. then it says crank it for at least 5 seconds 3 more times. then at the bottem where its giving you "TIPS" it says "If the hoses seem too hard to pull off, there still may be too much pressure in the lines. Crank your engine some more and retry pulling off the hoses."

my problems with it:
1) if this person isnt too sure what theyre doing and they read "crank for at least 5 seconds" they could think "oh, ill crank for 10 to make it better" and then do that 2 more times for 10 seconds. and possibly fry their starter (cause your not supposed to crank for more than about 15 seconds due to all the heat your starter builds up...and that = about 30).

2) the 'tip' they tell you....cranking even more because you cant get the hoses off would probably cause more damage than good. even just starting and letting it die should relieve enough pressure. if you cant get the hoses off by twisting and pulling, grab a pick or screwdriver and try to get it in the hose to break the seal. they should pop off easy after that.