4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bose Head unit Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bose Head unit Issue

Hello,
Mine is a 96. Messed up. Tried fixing it, took it out several times but it's gone bad again.
Bought a 97 model one... slightly different facia. Installed it, but no sound comes out.
Tape is working, CD too, radio is working... yet absolutely No sound.
what gives?
Are they different in any way?

thx
Old 09-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Maxima Owner

check ur fuses...u prolly killed it during removal or install....the fuse is labeled BOSE
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 AM

not really...
you mean - sound?

I reinstalled the 96 - old one... and sound's back.
no cd though hehe

i was thinking something components wise...
jumper of sorts on the pcbs that regulates the year... just theoritizing
Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 AM

are you sure you got the bose unit for 97??
Old 09-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by maxihari77SE96
not really...
you mean - sound?

I reinstalled the 96 - old one... and sound's back.
no cd though hehe

i was thinking something components wise...
jumper of sorts on the pcbs that regulates the year... just theoritizing
the fuse i am talking about controls the BOSE AMPS...but siince u have sound with the old one its not the problem
Old 09-27-2006, 11:38 AM

I have issues where the 97-99 Bose HU gives out static from time to time when I am playing a CD.... I never knew CD can give static sound..

but yeah, my 96 HU kept getting ERR or display problems...
gonna try to fix it..

maxihari77SE96
maybe you bought it with the HU already having audio issues??
Old 09-28-2006, 05:12 AM

The newer one that I bought is 97 or 98... same facia though for both years.
I opened that one too and resoldered most of the components (using instructions for that 96 one)...those two resistors and few connectors.
The newer one had a different layout (locations) for its components.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:48 AM

[QUOTE=Digitized]I have issues where the 97-99 Bose HU gives out static from time to time when I am playing a CD.... I never knew CD can give static sound..

gonna try to fix it..

Do the AUX audio mod. It's the only way to salvage the 96 head units. I opened mine completely up to fix the display and the CD portion, then did the AUX audio mod. Now, the CD doesnt work again, but it doesn't matter, my iPod is plugged directly up to 'er.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=BlackMaxdout]
Originally Posted by Digitized
I have issues where the 97-99 Bose HU gives out static from time to time when I am playing a CD.... I never knew CD can give static sound..

gonna try to fix it..

Do the AUX audio mod. It's the only way to salvage the 96 head units. I opened mine completely up to fix the display and the CD portion, then did the AUX audio mod. Now, the CD doesnt work again, but it doesn't matter, my iPod is plugged directly up to 'er.
can you send me pics of where you soldered what to get the AUX mode to work? ( I just purchased an iPod as well, so I want to be able to direclty connect and not use a cassette adapter and lose quality)
Old 09-28-2006, 09:50 AM

can you send me pics of where you soldered what to get the AUX mode to work? ( I just purchased an iPod as well, so I want to be able to direclty connect and not use a cassette adapter and lose quality)
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=4083400
Old 09-28-2006, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the link... but I am still not clear on the install, the 5 yellow wires.. where do you solder the other ends of it? do you solder them to the RCA wire? does that mean I cut off one end of the RCA wires? also, where would I connect the "ground" yellow cable?

sorry to sound like a noob, but the instructions aren't too clear for me..
Old 09-28-2006, 01:23 PM

Ok, the hardest part of the AUX mod, is trying to solder onto those tiny a** PCB pins. You have left and right audio. Solder 4 wires to these, as suggested by the picture. 2 for each RCA jack. For each RCA jack, you need a positive and negative wire. Negative goes onto the outside of the jack, while positive goes to the center of the jack. Then, run one wire to the AUX pin, and one wire to the GND (ground) pin. There are 6 total. Make sure you run about 3ft of wire to each one, because they have to be long enough to reach through the center of the dash to wherever you mounted the RCA jacks. Last, buy a small toggle switch, and switch the ground wire to the wire that goes to the AUX pin. When you switch the switch on, it should kick the unit into AUX mode, and a big "AUX" will come onto the screen. When you switch it off again, it will kill power to the head unit. Then you can simply just hit FM/AM or CD again.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Under the radar

Hey guys im asking a question in here so i dont get flamed for a new post, and im not try to jack this thread, but my bose head unit has a ticking sound on ANY cd i put in it. Now is there anything i can do to get rid of it. (Cleaning, ETC...)
Any help apreaciated.

Thanks
-Colin
Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 PM

Why don't y'all just buy an aftermarket head unit, get the Scosche (sp.) adapter if you're going to use the Bose speakers and call it a day?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
Why don't y'all just buy an aftermarket head unit, get the Scosche (sp.) adapter if you're going to use the Bose speakers and call it a day?
That's the easy way out. I like to think I accomplished something at the end of each day

Plus aftermarket head units look like trash when installed in maximas. All those flashy colors with that nice dash FTL.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BlackMaxdout
That's the easy way out. I like to think I accomplished something at the end of each day

Plus aftermarket head units look like trash when installed in maximas. All those flashy colors with that nice dash FTL.
I hear ya,man. I tried with my Bose HU for whatever, then I gave up.
This is what I have. I don't think it looks too bad...
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...912142751.html
Old 09-28-2006, 07:43 PM

If Im going to replace my OEM HU, I will get a DVD with screen ( to fill the 7inch gap)... but like blackmaxdout mentionned, I like the OEM clean look
Old 09-28-2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Oem looks the best to me also. I do remember running across a site that fixes these units for about 175.00 if you ship the unit to them. I will try to find it and post a link to it. I gave up on my cd player a long time ago. I considered buying a used one but I was scared that I would have the same problem that I had with this one.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by kdejour
Oem looks the best to me also. I do remember running across a site that fixes these units for about 175.00 if you ship the unit to them. I will try to find it and post a link to it. I gave up on my cd player a long time ago. I considered buying a used one but I was scared that I would have the same problem that I had with this one.
That's alot of money for something that you can do yourself with some simple tools and a little patience. Basically the screen and CD player both have problems because of some faulty soldering connections. Just take your soldering iron, and reattach them to their PCB's, and the thing is usually good to go. Although, my CD player doesn't work again, but the screen has worked perfect ever since.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMaxdout
That's alot of money for something that you can do yourself with some simple tools and a little patience. Basically the screen and CD player both have problems because of some faulty soldering connections. Just take your soldering iron, and reattach them to their PCB's, and the thing is usually good to go. Although, my CD player doesn't work again, but the screen has worked perfect ever since.

That's good to know.. so just redo the soldering points for the 3 major resistors and that's it? time to get meself a soldering iron..
Old 09-29-2006, 10:49 AM

That's good to know.. so just redo the soldering points for the 3 major resistors and that's it? time to get meself a soldering iron..
yup, that's basically it. If you look really close, sometimes you can tell which resistors they are because you can see the cracked solder connections. You hafta remember these things are robotically made, and they obviously had some issues because almost all 96 4th gen owners have this same exact problem.