4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hopeless maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:41 PM

hopeless maxima

Since I am lazy, and tired from work, ill paste what I posted on another forum, I need some replies, thanks guys, and please let me know how much a shop should charge for that stuff.
I went to a shop today, that I go to all the time, and I asked him why the hell is it so damn expensive to fix my car...He gave me a list to make my car driveable: 2 strut mounts, 2 struts (front) left side lower control arm, front and rear motor mount. After this, my transmission still hard shifts, but its been doing that for a year, no idea how long it will last, I was thinking of selling the car, but now I'm thinking of keeping it, and fixing the small stuff to have a reliable rolling car. I was wondering how much do you think that is going to cost to fix? Any comments, suggestions, tips welcomed. But I really want a 5 speed maxima, I don't plan on keeping it past this summer, so is it a good idea to fix it up, and have no surprises trying to buy a cheap 5 spd max? Thanks guys, if its less than 1200 bucks to fix(excluding transmission), I think I'm going to do it, and then keep it to myself, I wanted to sell it and pick up a 5 spd
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

He gave me a list to make my car driveable: 2 strut mounts, 2 struts (front) left side lower control arm, front and rear motor mount.
These are part prices not including labor.

Struts and mounts = 310. LCA = 110, Fr and R motor mount = www.pinnaclenissan.com 110 for the front IIRC..

if its less than 1200 bucks to fix(excluding transmission),
Just get a 5MT Maxima and call it a day.

He's probably trying to as.s rape you like most mechanics do. Fix it yourself save some $$

BTW is wrong with it that it's hopeless? Besides the shifting
Old 09-28-2006, 05:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, buy a 5-speed. obviously if you're thiking about it, you somewhat regret your decision buying the automatic. Instead of fixing up this car, just save the money and put it towards a nicer max with more of the things you may want, e.g. leather, autclimate, 5-speed, etc.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:25 AM
shift_Puff

SELL SELL SELL...and do all that to the 5 spd ...i just go a bunch of little things like polyeurathane bushings for control arms($60) also go some front sway bar bushings($30), short shifter, full exhaust(cause i had too) and a tune up plus i have the tokiko illumina's on some CE springs...What I just mentioned is about $2000 to $2500...well worth it(some labour involved)
Old 09-28-2006, 01:27 PM

sell it. It cost more to fix it. Some lucky b*stard got a stick max for 2 grand.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by llama
Since I am lazy, and tired from work, ill paste what I posted on another forum, I need some replies, thanks guys, and please let me know how much a shop should charge for that stuff.
I went to a shop today, that I go to all the time, and I asked him why the hell is it so damn expensive to fix my car...He gave me a list to make my car driveable: 2 strut mounts, 2 struts (front) left side lower control arm, front and rear motor mount. After this, my transmission still hard shifts, but its been doing that for a year, no idea how long it will last, I was thinking of selling the car, but now I'm thinking of keeping it, and fixing the small stuff to have a reliable rolling car. I was wondering how much do you think that is going to cost to fix? Any comments, suggestions, tips welcomed. But I really want a 5 speed maxima, I don't plan on keeping it past this summer, so is it a good idea to fix it up, and have no surprises trying to buy a cheap 5 spd max? Thanks guys, if its less than 1200 bucks to fix(excluding transmission), I think I'm going to do it, and then keep it to myself, I wanted to sell it and pick up a 5 spd
Keep it. Go to a different mechanic, probably you don't need to replace all that you mentioned. The labour for the pair of struts would be 150 and you can get 4 KYB Gr-2 strouts for $220 on ebay.
May be you can drive without changing your motor mounts... is it so bad ?
For the transmission you can try Lucas transmission fix (6-$10).
Old 09-29-2006, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by matrix11229
For the transmission you can try Lucas transmission fix (6-$10).
doesnt work so well. i put that in my dieing tranny and a few months later i still wound up having it rebuilt.

but as for the hard shifting...i think its just an automatic maxima tranny thing. cause mine sometimes slams from 1st into 2nd depending on the gas pedal (like...if i floor it or not)...and this happened before it had to be rebuilt as well as now that it has been rebuilt.

actually, if there is an actual problem with your tranny, why not 5spd swap?
Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 AM

I do want to do 5 spd swap, but I can't do it myself, I only have 1 friend who can do that kind of stuff, and hes busy with school, and he says he doesn't know too much about maxima trannies, and he doesn't want to screw anything up, he does that kind of stuff on 240s
Old 09-29-2006, 12:30 PM
3.5 in the works

If your tranny is "slamming" all the time you probably have a dead dropping resistor, which is an easy 5 minute fix.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:26 PM

if all you want is a reliable rolling car just do your lower control arm. if your motor mounts are banging when you hit the gas then do that also. if not then **** it.