4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exhaust question, PITA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exhaust question, PITA!!!

I got a stillen catback, the b pipe hits the frame of the body and it swings left and right which makes annoying sounds.

This has been going on forever.

I'm assuming I need to change my hangers bushing(s), how many do I need, how easy to install, and where are the ones that I need to replace. The b pipe hits under the car where it curves around near the rear tires, so right below the rear beam axle.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:03 PM

I'm not 100% positive but I think there is 1 hanger for the b-pipe. I know there are 3 for the muffler. They are very easy to replace. Nismo makes aftermarket hangers which are stronger and harder than OEM but they are like $15 a piece.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:07 PM

omg just go to the nearest exhaust shop and get them done there.. if they charge you anymore than 20 bucks go somewhere else...
Old 10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by HarrisH
I got a stillen catback, the b pipe hits the frame of the body and it swings left and right which makes annoying sounds.

This has been going on forever.

I'm assuming I need to change my hangers bushing(s), how many do I need, how easy to install, and where are the ones that I need to replace. The b pipe hits under the car where it curves around near the rear tires, so right below the rear beam axle.
i have been dealing with the same thing, different setup though, jack the car up and lay up under there. And have a look. My bpipe needed to be pulled to the left to keep from hitting, so doing anything to save money by not going to an exhaust shop, i had a look. then i spotted my left rear hanger bushing. I was able to use a cable tie and tightend it to some sort of rod above it.

not sure which way you need to go with yours but have a look under there, a simple cable tie might work for you too. its a ghetto mod for sure, but who in the heck is going to see it up under there ?

if you have a drill that can drill through thin metal you could also rig up a way to tighten it up that way as well.

food for thought, if it taste bad spit it out

edit: left hand side is the steering wheel side like LHD
Old 10-01-2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
i have been dealing with the same thing, different setup though, jack the car up and lay up under there. And have a look. My bpipe needed to be pulled to the left to keep from hitting, so doing anything to save money by not going to an exhaust shop, i had a look. then i spotted my left rear hanger bushing. I was able to use a cable tie and tightend it to some sort of rod above it.

not sure which way you need to go with yours but have a look under there, a simple cable tie might work for you too. its a ghetto mod for sure, but who in the heck is going to see it up under there ?

if you have a drill that can drill through thin metal you could also rig up a way to tighten it up that way as well.

food for thought, if it taste bad spit it out

edit: left hand side is the steering wheel side like LHD

You think if you replaced the bushings it might have fixed the issue? I'd rather just replace the bushings get done once and for all you know what I mean?