4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cels - yes they suck....i think im just going to remove the bulb :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

cels - yes they suck....i think im just going to remove the bulb :)

So when I first got my car it had a couple of CELS, the knock sensor and the EVAP canister sensor. I replaced both, reset the ECU and it was fine.........for 60 miles or so, and the stupid light came back on. I figured what the heck, probably was some other issue than the two i just listed, and they were just the result of whatever was going on that threw the code. I figured it was the same codes again, and didnt want to take the time to go back to the dealer and have them give me a read out.

Since then I have discovered the org, and paid for a search....low and behold you can check your own CEL codes....amazing!! free advertisment - pay for the search feature! So Im messing with my car, have it flash me the codes and i get an 0505 code. I have been driving around with that stupid yellow light for four months just so it can tell me that my car is fine! Yeah, thats dumb (Im sure there is some reason for the ECU to flash this code, but I havent discovered that yet). So I do what any normal person would do thats pissed at his CEL light.....I reset the ECU. No light....AMAZING

At least until I started the car the second time and pulled out of my driveway. My face was glowing in amazment, and the warm glow of that annoying yellow light on the dash! So I run my errond, get back home 20 minutes later and check it again. now I have a 0905 Crank Positioning Sensor going off.

What should I do, is it the POS sensor for real or something else? My car is a 97 SE Fed spec. It runs fine, or at least I think it does, because if its supposed to run better than it is, I have never driven it when its perfect. Its always had a CEL light on. It does have an issue starting, but I think that is a leaking injector. If its siting for awhile i have to crank it once, and then the second time it fires right up. Feels like it does that because it just doesnt have gas.....just like if you have ever run out of gas you have to crank it a couple of times before it will start.

Thanks for the help and advise.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 PM

welcome to the club, my car is the same way.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:53 PM

bro 0505 means no faults detected....
replace the damn sensor... make sure u are turning the screw completely counterclockwise after reading the codes..
Old 10-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
bro 0505 means no faults detected....
replace the damn sensor... make sure u are turning the screw completely counterclockwise after reading the codes..
Thats what I didnt understand, why would it give me 0505, and then turn around and give me 0905.

And Im only hesitant to replace that sensor, because last time it was two other things and just as soon as i replaced them it discovered something else....0905. Which leads me to believe that its something else all together thats driving the ECU crazy. im just afraid of replacing like 5 sensors only to find out its a part that is just setting of sensors (i hope that im making sense here).

what do you mean "completely counterclockwise"? i turned it clockwise, and then back to its original spot to get it to read out. and then to reset, i did clockwise, counterclockwise, clockwise, counterclockwise.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:00 AM

The way you're turning the screw sounds correct. THe problem is that some people do not turn the screw ALL the way back to the original position and the car stays in DIAG mode and doesn't run correctly.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:03 AM

^^^^^
Old 10-03-2006, 11:17 AM

you do realize you can search the forums for free also. Google is your friend
Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

heres what ya do.

reset the computer then wait to see if it comes on again

make sure the screw is returned to its proper position

if it comes back change the sensor
Old 10-06-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
heres what ya do.

reset the computer then wait to see if it comes on again

make sure the screw is returned to its proper position

if it comes back change the sensor

I reset the computer three times....the code came back each time after the third start.

I turned the screw back to where it "stops"

So i replaced the sensor. reset the computer and the CEL came back. What now?

Now I do have a question as to the "stop" position on the ECU. If you are looking at the ECU and using the test position as 2o'clock, someone has drawn a line conecting 8 and 5 oclock. When I first tested the ECU the screw was ligned up with this line....but the actual stop was another half turn counterclockwise. Was the car running with the screw not all the way back to the stop?

I ask because when I cleared the CEL code after replacing the POS sensor, i turned the screw to the stop that you can feel and the CEL light flashed while the car was running. So I stoped, reset the code and turned the screw to the line....and the CEL light did like normal untill the 0905 came back.

So my question is one the turn of the screw. Is it almost one full turn or only about a half a turn?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:36 PM

Ok...so I just got back from Autozone. I asked them to check the Codes for me with their OBD2 reader. It is throughing TWO P1336 codes???? why in the world would it being showing two of these codes? I dont know what else it could be other than the flywheel itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hello sergofast,

P1336 is Crankshaft Position Sensor code. It equals to Nissan 0905 code.

The 0905 code could be nothing to do with your earlier repairs. Face to it bro, it's a car almost ten years old. Some parts/sensors might be out of life. Keep us posted and good luck!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by svojs
Hello sergofast,

P1336 is Crankshaft Position Sensor code. It equals to Nissan 0905 code.

The 0905 code could be nothing to do with your earlier repairs. Face to it bro, it's a car almost ten years old. Some parts/sensors might be out of life. Keep us posted and good luck!!!
I know it doesnt have anything to do with my earlier repairs. But i have gone through the FSM for a P1336 checked the voltage and grounds....it all checks out. Checked the sensor itself. it wouldnt read 5 volts like the FSM said it should....the max I could get was 2. something so i replaced the sensor. But still the CEL flashes 0905, and the OBD2 reader picks up a P1336 code....why?

When you search 0905 or p1336 or a combination you come back with alot of others that had this issue.....and maybe I missed it, but it seams like everyone has posted about this problem has not come back and told what they did to fix it.

One last thing. the reader at autozone said P1336 Engine Control Module if that helps. Is there a more advanced reader (perhaps that the dealer has) that will give a more precise read?
Old 10-07-2006, 01:39 PM

should i replace the flywheel?

And as one other note....sometimes when i start it up and try to drive just as soon as i start it, the car will bog down like its going to stall. It has the feeling like its running low on gas, or not getting spark in one of the cylinders. I dont know if that contributes and is part of the problem of the ECU not picking up the POS sensor or if it is part of my other issue with it not starting right away sometimes (i refered to this in my first post). Someone said it could be the injectors.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM

bump....

about that flywheel???

I did find this Technical Service Bulletion:
http://www.jatan.net/tsbs/041938.pdf

what do you guys think about that? My car is a 97, but if you look at the print date on the TSB its 95, so i dont know if this was an issue that would be applicable to my car.