4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I may get flammed for this....additional interior light options

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I may get flammed for this....additional interior light options

I don’t know if this has been posted on before, but I thought it was pretty interesting....although a rather useless mod unless you just like messing with you car.

I have a whole load of b13 (91-94) sentra stuff in my garage, and if you have ever been in one you will remember that the Cigarette lighter is illuminated. So I was wondering, why would an old sentra have that option and not my 97 max??? So I popped the cig lighter out of the dash piece I had for my b13 and low and behold, it fits (no duh, I really didn’t expect it not to...its a cig lighter!) So after wiring up the illumination part tomorrow, I will have an illuminated cig lighter.....

So that’s it, rather a useless mod, but whatever.....

Oh, and I also discovered a factory bulb that fits the ashtray as an alternative to the thing that Nissan installed (why is that piece so long and a pain to get out??) I was poking around at a junkyard swiping the interior bulbs out of random Nissan dash pieces, because I don’t have the motivation to install LEDs, and would rather put my money else ware. And discovered that the illuminated key on an altima (96+ or so) has a bulb housing that plugs right into the ashtray. The bulb is bigger (I have not had a chance to wire it up yet) and if you were planning on doing an LED install it seams like it would be easier to use than the factory piece. Take that last statement with a grain of salt because I have not done an LED swap, and don’t know if that would really be easier....its just an option if you want it.

I also have a question about making the clock stay illuminated. I have already snipped the correct wire (red with blue tracer for the person that ask), but the problem that I had and maybe others with the light dimming was that you had no control over it. Now the factory radio and climate control you do. And I wanted it to stay on so that if I turned on my parking/fog lights during the day, I could still read the clock. Wouldn’t it be possible to test either the factory radio or climate control for whatever wire it is that controls the dimming option and tap in that red/blue wire from the clock? I ask because if you have the dimmer all the way up and the parking lights on it don’t dim the radio/CC, but at night you can dim it and it controls both along with the rest of the lights. In fact the only light that has never been controlled by the dimmer is the clock.... which just automatically dims when the lights are turned on. (I know this has probably been asked and answered before, but I missed it if it has....)
Old 10-03-2006, 08:23 PM

I really have no idea what that thread read.....congrats that the cig lighters switched? I'm tired I guess.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 PM

I love how on all the older nissans everything fits from one car to another!! well partly somewhat of everything.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:58 AM

Does anyone know about the dimmer switch and clock?
Old 10-04-2006, 02:43 PM

wiring the clock to the illumination wire on the climate control doesnt work. If the illumination is turned all the way up, its as bright as cutting the wire, and if its turned all the way down it is just like cutting on the lights before snipping that wire. But anywhere in the middle it just flashes on and off real fast.....oh well.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Wild for Width

Hymm, illuminated sig lighter.