4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Going on a road trip, need tips!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 11:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Hello:

I'm going to go and a road trip some time next month, I'm going to be crossing the desert in California and Nevada, and I would like to get some pointers on what I should check on my car before I go on my trip.

My car has 40000 miles.

Here is a list of things that I have changed during the past weeks: 1) Both radiator hoses; 2) Oil and filter, 3) Gas filter 3) Thermostat; 4) Tranny oil 5) Drive belt 6)New coolant.

What else should I service?? What kind of stuff should I carry in the car just in case??? And just one more important thing, what PSI should I inflate my tires when I'm crossing the desert??? I'm worried about a tire blowout.

Thanks!!!!!
Old 06-28-2001, 12:02 AM

Bring LOTS of CAFFIENE!!! Oh, and watch out for my friends olice
Old 06-28-2001, 03:27 AM

if your ac isnt really that cold

get a coolant charge and leakdown.
you'll be a lot more comfortable when its 100+ degrees
Old 06-28-2001, 05:19 AM

Originally posted by ionicmax
Hello:

I'm going to go and a road trip some time next month, I'm going to be crossing the desert in California and Nevada, and I would like to get some pointers on what I should check on my car before I go on my trip.

My car has 40000 miles.

Here is a list of things that I have changed during the past weeks: 1) Both radiator hoses; 2) Oil and filter, 3) Gas filter 3) Thermostat; 4) Tranny oil 5) Drive belt 6)New coolant.

What else should I service?? What kind of stuff should I carry in the car just in case??? And just one more important thing, what PSI should I inflate my tires when I'm crossing the desert??? I'm worried about a tire blowout.

Thanks!!!!!
Well, here is some advice from someone who has travelled cross country at least 50 times.. I always carried extra coolant, extra motor oil, belts, bottled water and a can of fix a flat..A good tool box. Make sure your spare is in good order and let someone know your estimated arrival time to your destination and which route you travelled.. I know that may seem like over paranoia but you don't want to be stranded in the desert or some lonely snowbound mountain road... you seemed to have taken care of the major things.. You should be a ok..
P.S. You have a cell phone? It may come in handy.. When I drove I was in a Nissan Pickup and have only drove about 6 times cross country in the Maxima..
Old 06-28-2001, 04:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by 92ZexMaximaSE
Well, here is some advice from someone who has travelled cross country at least 50 times.. I always carried extra coolant, extra motor oil, belts, bottled water and a can of fix a flat..A good tool box. Make sure your spare is in good order and let someone know your estimated arrival time to your destination and which route you travelled.. I know that may seem like over paranoia but you don't want to be stranded in the desert or some lonely snowbound mountain road... you seemed to have taken care of the major things.. You should be a ok..
Wow I didn't think about checking my spare tire. I'm going to make sure I get everything you mentioned . Thank you 92ZexMaximaSE.

I'm sure I wont forget the CAFFIENE JdawgX

And I'm probably going to check the AC on the week end.
Thanks to all!!

Any more ideas are very welcome
Old 06-28-2001, 06:41 PM
the_1

road kills

Watch out at night for raod kills. There are some crazy *** animals crossing the roads at night or whenever as I was told by a friend of mine who drove from Fort Collins, Colorado to Vegas then down to South Padre Island, Texas. Mabye even throw on some tempory deer wistle things on under the front bumper. I drove from CT to Fort Collins, CO but never what u are doing. Good Luck.

Old 06-28-2001, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: road kills

I don't know how the bugs are out that way but you may want to get a bug screen for your front end to keep the bugs off your radiator.
I susspect you will not have to do much to your car. Just do a once over and make sure you don't have any leaks under the hood and make sure your tire pressure is even all around. I usually run 32psi. I drove from MA to OK last year and she drove like a charm. I only had 45000 when I left for the trip. You'll be fine.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:25 PM

Hello:

My car has 40000 miles.

Thanks!!!!!

Seems like you've covered all the basics. Although you really did not need to change the radiator hoses, thermostat, or drive belts after only 40,000 miles. Those are the kind of things a 60,000 service might entail. For a cross-desert trip, just carry extra supplies like oil and coolant, as well as a can of that fix-a-flat. If you do get a flat, you don't want to be sweating it out in 110 degree temperature changing to the donut spare.

Make sure to bring plenty of snacks of caffeinated beverages as well.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:10 PM

Hello:

My car has 40000 miles.

Thanks!!!!!
When travelling long distances at once it is good to air your tires higher than normal. You will get better gas mileage. Imagine rolling a beach ball then a baseball. the baseball will roll farther with less force. Okay it is a poor analogy, but trust me it helps to air em up.

Safe journey and be sure and hit all the Stuckey's
Old 06-29-2001, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Re: road kills

Originally posted by the_1
Watch out at night for raod kills. There are some crazy *** animals crossing the roads at night or whenever as I was told by a friend of mine who drove from Fort Collins, Colorado to Vegas then down to South Padre Island, Texas. Mabye even throw on some tempory deer wistle things on under the front bumper. I drove from CT to Fort Collins, CO but never what u are doing. Good Luck.
Thanks guys!! I'll keep a look out, so I don't run over some innocent animals !!!!

I feel better now that I have a good idea on what to keep in mind for the trip.

Take care.