4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need more power!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Ok so this is what I'll do get a eu, b-pipe and mevi or maybe a 00vi if enough of you guys keep tellling me . I'm easily swayed I just didn't feel ilike deal with all the modifying. That should give me enough gains to be happy with.

I have some questions about the eu is it easy to install or will I need it professional done? I am pretty good with mechanic stuff so I think I might be ok, but will it need to be dyno tunned? If yes anybody know any shops in the philly area that could do this for me? Thanks again guys for all your opinion (good or bad) I need to hear it all.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:23 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Yeah I dont agree. The MEVI can be used in the next maxima or sold off. While I dont agree that MEVI is the best choice, installing one and a EU would be good with a new exhaust. That's if you have the money. I still think that installing the MEVI doesnt make sense when you could modify the 00vi for more power. But as scrhale said, your car, your choice.
I'll just sell the mevi when i get my new max thats all. No big deal.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:28 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

How much will everything cost me to do the 00vi conversion including adapter plates and so forth??

I'm starting to sway......
Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 AM

Gains will be nice with the EU in the 3.5. The EU is not easy to install. You need to search for that stuff since there are some threads I read about wiring. It requires a lot of splicnig and soldering and there are a lot of wires. It's not as simple as other ones.

The 00vi depends where you go. Some people have gotten it all in for less then $300. I read another post/thread where it costs another guy $1500 in the end. So far I'm at $300 for the UIM and adapter block from krismax. The rest of the stuff should cost me $350 or so. It all depends what you find online and and the junkyard. I still say that if you want power and you obviously seem that you'll dish the cash out (eu, mevi), it's better to save a little more do the 00vi and the eu if you really feel the need. At least do the 00vi then pause and install the EU a little later if need be. But if you really dont want to do modifying and engine work then go with the MEVI.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:55 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I think Thats what i'm doing first going to find a 00vi and the do the eu later on. I'll be doing the b-pipe this week. Just gotta find a 00vi. If I find one at the junk yard what should I take with it? Meaning other components?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:11 AM

Well there are a lot of setups you could do....if you want to do 00vi you cant just say yeah I'll go pick up parts. Do a lot of searching and reading. I've been reading up on it for almost 2 months now and I still havnt started anything. Talk to the guys that have done it. Check out Tatanko's website. He's got a section on the 00vi swap that he updates a lot. His swap is almost done I believe, still waiting on an EGR guide tube.
Link to his site is:
http://away.no-ip.org/maxima/

If you're really interested pm me and I'll try to send some links on what you need to read.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I will hopefully find somebody in the area that can help me with the install.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:23 AM

Yeah I believe there are a couple guys that could help you. But you still need to read up on it. If something goes wrong later you cant just keep having them come fix the car haha.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by babymac
I will hopefully find somebody in the area that can help me with the install.
you can check out this thread http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=16020

he'll be able to install it for you
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 AM

Here is some useful information about the 00VI install. There is a full write up and explination of the 8 different ways to do it.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/157907

I don't really know much about this site b but I have been looking for a write up about the 00VI swap, maybe this could go in the stickys
Old 10-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Brain phuck

Dude, just get a 75 shot of nitrous.. $600. then approx $50 a month you will spend in buying nitrous. And you can transfer it to any other fuel injected car you buy in the future. Will get the gains that you are looking for and then some. I was thinking of doing a 00vi or mevi and such.. After about 2 months of researching it I decided against it. It costs a lot more then people say, and it's a huge pain in the a$$ to do. Also from what I read I have not seen anyone that had their car running 'perfectly' after the 00vi install. They would idle high (1k rpms or higher) and sporatic and such.. Screw that seems like a big headache.
Get the nitrous. Just do it right and use it kinda responsibly and you will have no problems.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Why would you spend the same amount of money of an 00vi swap for Nitrous shots? 00vi swap doesnt need to be recharged every month and has power. I dont understand the big thing about Nitrous for people that dont track their cars. And I've researched too and havnt found anyone that didnt get the 00vi running good. Who says nitrous is going to run your car "perfect"? I dont think nitrous is worth it at all.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Brain phuck

For the upper and lower IM for 00vi is like $150 each approx. Then you need 2 adapter plates which are like $100 each. Then you need misc hose and something to adapt the iac valve and thats where the problem lies (from what I read) the 4th gen iac harness doesn't adapt to the 2000 iac. And vice versa. And if you just cut the harness and solder the wires in (what most do) it doesn't work 'perfectly' high idles and the car stalling etc. Doing the 00vi seems to me like your turning a perfectly reliable daily driver into the total opposite. Which my max IS my main means of transportation, and without it I'm screwed. I didn't want to turn 'tuning and keeping it running'into a full time job. Or have the car leaving me stranded in the winter or any time for that matter, because of the iac acting up or whatever.
Yes with nitrous its kind of a 'pay as you play' type of deal. Which I kinda of like. It turns out, it's cheaper then smoking ciggs.

If you can point me to any 00vi faq's or install guides or refrences that have not messed up the cars idle or any solutions to the iac problem I might reconsider doing this mod though.

Why would you spend the same amount of money of an 00vi swap for Nitrous shots? 00vi swap doesnt need to be recharged every month and has power. I dont understand the big thing about Nitrous for people that dont track their cars. And I've researched too and havnt found anyone that didnt get the 00vi running good. Who says nitrous is going to run your car "perfect"? I dont think nitrous is worth it at all.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:07 PM

Well for one you dont use both of them. Secondly the adapter plates are not $100 each. Some people get them made for free and Stephen Max makes them both for $160 or less. The point of the adapter plates is for the TB's and the 4th gen IACV to fit on the 5th UIM. The 4th IACV actually works better with the 00vi setup (at least that is what others say). I'm not going to find, copy & paste all the threads I have on the 00vi swap. The point is that as long as things are hooked up correctly the swap will work well. I believe I did read one thread where the guy was having a problem with the swap. He messed something up reinstalling wires and then it was fixed after he asked on here. I'm not sure why so many people would be doing this swap if it didnt work correctly.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Brain phuck

Theres many diff ways to do the swap, using the upper and lower is one of them. You also need to get injectors etc. Lots of custom stuff resulting in possibly (hopefully you have a buddy with you helping that has a car) going back and forth to misc stores because 'shlt I need a ______'. Huge pain in the a$$. And the avg price of this swap is about $500 after its all said and done. Not to mention probably a nightmare of a weekend. For what? 20 hp? Ya ya across the entire RPM range. . . But still. It might drop 3 tenths off your 1/4 mile if your lucky. So you can go from 15.3 to MAYBE 14.9's.

And yea, in the past 8 months or so that I have been on the juice I spent enough on just nitrous oxide alone that I could of supercharged my max. Then I would have almost the same 'power' of nitrous ALL THE TIME. Awesome.. so you might think at first. But think of all the wear and tear that will put on the engine. Nonstop boost all the time. Also the worry of the belts busting and having to replace it while on the side of the highway in rush hour, possibly in the middle of a snow storm? Or the bearings in the sc going to shlt and getting sucked into the engine? It makes taking care of your car a full time job. You have to be a mechanic on call all the time.
Now with a little nitrous on the other hand.... Theres horror stories about that as well, but with the correct install (and its not rocket science, just connecting wires and switches and some common sence), you can pretty safely bet you won't turn into a story or statistic. And you get to go pretty fast with minimal wear on your car, and without the headaches.
Now of course most of this is just my opinion, and the route I decided to take with my maxima. If you use your max as a daily driver and if something were to happen to it and you were to have to deal with a week downtime on it, do you have other means of getting to work, or school? Have to think about this stuff before you start swapping and fiddeling with the things that make our cars so reliable.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:08 AM

Well you're talking about doing the full 5th gen swap. You dont need to use all the 5th IM's and rails and injectors. That means you dont need to rewire and fiddle with things like you're saying. Sure its a long weekend to install and you do need a lot of stuff. I'm sure there are some times when you need something that you dont have but thats why you talk to other people to find out what they went through. If you actually do the research then things will go smoother. Yeah well being at college, the car can be out of commision for a while so I can do the swap. So yeah it's all opinion and thats cool. I respect your decision for the nitrous but I dont agree. I want added power all the time and not just from nitrous. Tracks times...well a couple guys I talked to with new exhausts actually run much lower 14's. But that's not important. I'm a daily driver not a track racer. I just want power on the road when I want it. So for me the 00vi is the best idea. Not too much money, I like working on the car so I'll be happy to do the work and have the pride of it.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Brain phuck

hey hey I spray nitrous weather permitting, almost daily
And as far as I know, as long as I don't break any laws, its perfectly legal. :
Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM

Have you actually thought about why you need the extra power?

Are you getting dusted on the street by Camrys?

Do you want to attract even more attention from the Man?

Is it just an ego thing to cram as much power as possible into an old car just to keep up with the Joneses on the board here?

Just curious....
Old 10-11-2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by dr-rjp
Have you actually thought about why you need the extra power?

Are you getting dusted on the street by Camrys?

Do you want to attract even more attention from the Man?

Is it just an ego thing to cram as much power as possible into an old car just to keep up with the Joneses on the board here?

Just curious....
That towards me?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:03 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Probably towards me. Well the reason.......... I just want more. Why do people mod their car? Becuase they want something to do and want more power. I modded every car I had and will continue to.

Cdg2125 thanks for all the great info. I'll probably need you to get through this. I was so set on the mevi with ecu , but now i want the 00vi and either a ecu or a eu. I will be ordering my b-pipe this week so the exhaust will be done next I'll be buying the 00vi. My question is which is the best way to do it? On that one thread there was like 6 different ways to do it , which one is the best and easiest?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:10 PM

From all the research I've done I think that are they almost equal for work. The difference is in money. Using 5th LIM & UIM will be more money because you need new rails and injectors. Using the 4th LIM is cheaper because it only needs to be drilled (so you may need to buy one to be drilled while you still drive). Work is about the same I think. 5th parts need the injectors wired. 4th LIM needs to be drilled and turned 180 degrees. I'd use the 4th IACV, just get the adapter plate for that. Then you have to decide if you want to use the egr tube, which TB, and which valve cover and coils. I'm using 5th cover and coils because its an easy installation because you dont have to modify the stock parts. That will add about $60 bucks to my tally but I want to be able to swap everything from the stock 4th right back in if need be. PM about which route you're taking. I'll help you out and if I can't then I'll point you to some guys that can.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I'll do what you do.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 PM

That towards me?
Nope. Babymac. Sorry...hit the wrong button.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Ok well I'm guessing it's the same as most of the guys on here. You always want power behind the hood. I dont race or anything but I want power. Just being able to know that I have power under the hood is nice. Doesnt mean that other guys will know around me. It's for me.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:59 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I want my power for some decent 1/4 mile times,some occasional auto X and for the street
Old 10-15-2006, 09:53 PM

how much would you like to spend?
Old 10-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know if the 3.5 is a direct swap in the 4th gen?
Old 10-21-2006, 11:32 PM
sunten1

Originally Posted by plainclothesVQ
Does anyone know if the 3.5 is a direct swap in the 4th gen?

Its not a direct swap you need to modify a good amount of parts. Check the All Motor forum for more info.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:32 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

I got more power coming a ts ecu is on its way this week!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:26 PM
RKZ

Has anyone used the Venom 400 Control module? let me know how are the installation is and your opinion if you felt like it made a differnce in your car?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TT_ReX_101
how do u drive auto...dont u get bored
no kidding
Old 10-22-2006, 01:22 PM

add some stickers to your car. 5 hp each
if you get a big vinyl decal it should do like 10
Old 10-22-2006, 01:29 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

especially the NOS one its good for at least 20whp!