4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 PM

96 rear spoiler

my rear spolier, on the left and right ends of the trunk, has popped up and is not connected anymore by the plastic pieces that hold it in. i have tried to push and pop it back in place with no luck. anyone have a similar problem? what is the best way to reconnect the ends of the spoiler without damaging anything? i dont think the plastic pieces are broken. i have to take a closer look. is it hard to take the spoiler off and put it back on? also if those pieces are broken, where would be the best place to buy new ones. thanks
Old 10-11-2006, 02:30 PM

i have the same issue, i can only think of replacing that white piece that attaches it, but im not sure how to get that off??

can anyone help us?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:52 PM

Those little white things are the grommets. The only way to get to them is to take the whole spoiler off the trunk. The spoiler is held on by these grommets and 3M tape, along with the bolts on the center pedestals. I'm not sure if you can buy these seperately, but Nissan sells them with the spoiler kit if you would happen to buy a spoiler. To access the bolts holding the spoiler, just open the trunk and remove the inside liner on the back of the trunk. There you will see the bolts. Remove these and pry up the spoiler. It's probably held on the trunk real good because of the 3M tape on the outer pedestals. I installed a factory spoiler on my '95 when I had it, and I didn't use the grommets for the install. I just used the bolts and strong 3M tape on the outer pedestals. It held real good for the time I had the car before I sold it. Those grommets aren't really necessary. It just holds the spoiler on the trunk real secure.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Old Maxima Legend

mixxmax what would you say you would need a 10mm extension socket to take those nuts off ? im actually going to take mine off on my 97 to see what it looks like. from what i could see , it was like you say, looks to be like some sort of glue or tape holding the ends off. something for me to consider if i remove it. Might not stick back on the ends well. Just some sort of sticky tape should stick it back in place though.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
gblkrt09

i actually had to take my spoiler off to paint it not too long ago, i bought new white things and the tape from a dealer by my house, one side is in perfect and the other side is kind of out, because there are two white things on each side i think that one of my white things on the side that is up is attatched and the other is detached, i just left it alone cuz i dont wanna pay another $7 a white thing from the damn dealer

as for ceasar
ya its a 10mm extention, there are 4 bolts if i remember right, one of my bolts was rusted to the screw so i had to cut the mfer off otherwise just pop it off and pray that the white thingys dont snap

Old 10-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can buy the "white things" separately at www.nissanpartscheap.com for cheaper than $7. I had to remove my spoiler and ended up snapping the white clips. IIRC, there are four white clips total, two per side for the outer pedastal. The top part of the clip has a portion that slides into a groove in the spoiler itself, while the bottom portion of the clip is rounded and snaps into the gray plastic grommet that's in the trunklid. They actually hold the spoiler ended down prety good, but you do get some rattles if you don't use the 3M tape in addition (found this out myself).
Old 10-12-2006, 04:05 PM

im gonna take the spoiler off tomorrow and see how bad the damage is. do you think its necessary to have the grommets?? maybe it would be for the best so im not kickin myself later for halfassin it
Old 10-15-2006, 09:59 PM

Don't know but in my personal opinion they are important
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think you need the grommets, they seem to be pretty sturdy and thus are re-usable. The only thing you'll need are the clips and the 3M tape.