4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What to look for in a CF hood/trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:16 PM

What to look for in a CF hood/trunk?

I know this may be another played out topic but I'm shopping for both a carbon fiber hood and trunk for my car due to hail damage 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering what those of you who have already purchased one or both from any manufacturer have to say about the quality or finish of them? Who's your favorite? What manufacturers are there that I should stay away from or go to.
I don't want this to turn into a "CF is ghey" thread. It's easier for me to purchase these than to pay to have a steel hood painted, I can always paint them later if I don't like them, that's the way I look at it. Give me your thoughts. The two I've been looking at are VIS and Chaser, Chaser simply because they're the only ones that I can find making the trunk lids still and I really would like to get them both from the same manufacturer because I'm worried about the finishes matching. Maybe I shouldn't and you'd never noticed, again, I'm not really sure. So lemme have it.

Ian
Old 10-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Old Maxima Legend

well i had bad luck with redlinemax years ago when i bought my first cf hood. IMO fiber images is the way to go, but have no idea if they even make them anymore ? as for carbon fiber trunk, there are some options on ebay and ionic dynamics makes them.

your concerns should be fitment, and of course what the latch is made out of on the cf hood.

for me personally I dont care about the cf look, im more concerned with how light it is versus stock. Its been a long time but Im thinking my redline cf hood was 17 lbs lighter. Stock hood is around 45 lbs. I believe Neal said way back that the fiber images hood weighed 16lbs but dont quote me on that. I sure wish I could get my hands on one of those for sure.

good luck and hopefully some more knowledgable guys will swing buy and give ya some input.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:16 AM

thanks for the reply Ceasar, I did look at ebay, didn't find a whole lot though unfortunately, I hadn't found Ionic Dynamics though, I will certainly check them out. fitment is a concern, and although I didn't state it, kinda why I made this thread, I've never seen a CF hood on a max in person so I have no idea who makes good or bad. thanks again!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Wild for Width

Nothing ghey about shaving 50-60 lbs of the Maxima.

IIRC one of the most important factors is if the hood has rolled edges.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Boosted Panda

Go to Ionicdynamics for the trunk, the hood you can get from VIS or if you dont wish to spend that much get one from CarbonEFX
Old 10-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Go to Ionicdynamics for the trunk, the hood you can get from VIS or if you dont wish to spend that much get one from CarbonEFX

I believe only VIS has rolled edges. I know for a fact CarbonEFX does not. Probably the reason for the price difference.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I believe only VIS has rolled edges. I know for a fact CarbonEFX does not. Probably the reason for the price difference.

My ImportFan/Cwings hood has rolled edges., its an older hood from old stock though. Im not sure if there new current ones are rolled though.

http://www.businessvision.net/edge/M...egoryID=787766
Old 10-20-2006, 06:07 PM

i want to get the hood, trunk, and fenders but was wondering if the weight difference is significant? well let me know. thx =)
Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Old Maxima Legend

is CarbonEFX the ebay company ? i forget what company it was on ebay selling maxima cf hoods, but they had one on there that sold for 56 dollars i think it was. it had scratches on it. if i still lived in the states i might have bought it but shipping here was 497 dollars.

the sad thing about the cf hood and again not sure if it was carbonefx might need to dig around ebay and see what brand it was but it was something like 32-35 lbs ? heck a stock hood weighs 45 lbs. thats crap for weight loss.

does anyone know the weight of either of the hoods mentioned in this post ?

VIS, CarbonEFX, and Ionic (if they make cf hoods)

and what is the weight of the Ionics carbon fiber trunk ?

yesterday i took my rear spoiler off to see how much it weighed, thinking it would be at least 10 lbs, the darn thing was only 4 lbs.

im concerned with weight savings, such a long way off since shipping will be a killer here, imagine spending over 1000 dollars just to get a cheap carbon fiber hood, very lame. i plan to paint them to match the car though and see how that goes, sometime in the next 20 years.

ionics should make some smal cf inserts to fill the wholes when people remove the rear spoiler, i would like a way to switch back and forth without having to worry about painting the darn trunk if i want the spoiler off.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Boosted Panda

Ceasear, you are the only one I take serious when it comes to weight savings. Your times prove it. You vids are alwys great to watch and for the newbs Ceasars has been an avid Drag racing feind, even after it claimed his trans, not to mention he left hs local DRAG SPOT.
The Ionic trunk wieghed about 20lbs when I wieghed it last, a bit less then the OEM. Some, at least one Org member hase stripped his trunk and acheived that same weight though.
To me, and I think most know this, I chose Cf for its looks. Granted, I did lose some wieght doing it and for those that say GO before SHOW, trust me when I say I have some GO for my show.
Panda FTW!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Well I ended up with a CF trunk, Chaser was the brand, I have no idea of the quality yet, we'll see when it's delivered, but it's cheaper than replacing the dented lid with painted steel, and I could just paint it black later if I wanted, but I lost the hood, someone outbid me at the last minute, so prolly just buy a VIS if I can't find one on Ebay again cheap. Now hopefully the "ding king" will take out the 10 or so dents in my roof and she'll be all straight again. Seeing the ripples from the hail in my hood as I drive is drivin me nuts.