4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need info/opinions on Toyo FZ4's/TIrerack.com SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 09:25 PM
kineshi1

well i ordered dunlop sp5000s from tirerack and they were duds, unbalancable...so big thumbs down for tirerack aholes...neway so i was kinda stuck so i got the Toyo FZ4's in a 225/50/16 ...the shop recommened them highly, what do u guys think?

Old 06-28-2001, 10:15 PM

Well, I ordered Dunlop SP5000 from Tirerack and they have been great for the past 20,000 miles. No balancing problems whatsoever. Your situation is more a problem with Dunlop than with Tirerack. They can't be sure the tire is balanced until it is mounted on your rim, since individual rims affect how the total assembly (tire+wheel) should be balanced.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:23 PM
SLOW

i had toyo proxes FZ4s, i wouldnt buy them again. Not that it was a bad tire, but im sold on Kumhos. They are better in every way in my opinion. Cheaper, stickier, quieter, better hydroplaning resistance. the only thing i liked better about the FZ4s was their wet traction.. they did have a bit better wet traction than my kumhos do, but my kumhos resist hydroplaning better, plus all of the above things i mentioned.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:34 PM

I have Toyo FZ4's in 225/35/19 and they are a decent tire. Nothing special, incredibly good treadwear though. My car is slammed 3.5", and the tires are showing no problems with wear even though the camber is way off. Much better treadwear than my previous tires, 17" Yokohama A520's, and a set of Yokohama Nexus before that. The Yokohamas had better traction, but the Toyo's have better wear with decent traction.

Originally posted by kineshi1
well i ordered dunlop sp5000s from tirerack and they were duds, unbalancable...so big thumbs down for tirerack aholes...neway so i was kinda stuck so i got the Toyo FZ4's in a 225/50/16 ...the shop recommened them highly, what do u guys think?
Old 06-29-2001, 07:21 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

My mom replaced the OEM Bridgestones on her 98 GS400 with FZ4's. They are very loud in comparison. Of course, this is a Lexus, so any particular noise increase will stand out. They handle really good though, much sharper than the OE tires.

oh yeah, all my experiences (2) with the Tire Rack have been good.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

before i got my cheap a$$ michelin's just to pass inspections, i too had the fz4's. i was pretty happy with them considering all the beating they took. i was actually surprised they lasted me for what they did. but one thing though, it sucked in the snow. otherwise its pretty good tire.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did you click the check boxes on the checkout screen that asks whether you want them balanced or not?
Old 06-29-2001, 07:48 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

...so big thumbs down for tirerack aholes...
I didn't know TireRack manufactured tires for Dunlop.

Your statement is ignorant. DUNLOP is to blame, not TireRack.

Now, if TireRack jerked you around on return shipping or non-replacement, etc. then you have beef to complain.....
Old 06-29-2001, 10:27 AM
kineshi1

Ignorant

Ignorant is a term used on racist and sexists, not a company hater, i admit that it is not tireracks fault, and that it is indeed dunlops, but i need somone to vent my frustration over. I ordered the tires and needed them because i am going to DC for work for the next month, i (unfortuanetly) anticipated there delivery and quality in a timely manner which almost threw a kink into my departure. My car was without four tires less then 12 hours before my trip, i think you would be ****ed too. Fortunately i got the tires from an alternative source. Too start it all tirerack shipped two of my tires to my house, and two to another address nearly five miles away. I went to the house at 11 pm the night before the scheduled install to pick them up (expecting to be shot). That can be blamed on UPS but hey, tirerack puts its faith in UPS and Dunlop, so they are to blame also.

Old 06-29-2001, 11:20 AM

Re: Ignorant

Ignorant is a term used on racist and sexists, not a company hater,

ig·no·rant (gnr-nt)
adj.
Lacking education or knowledge.
Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
Unaware or uninformed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English ignoraunt, from Old French ignorant, from Latin ignrns, ignrant- present participle of ignrre, to be ignorant, not to know. See gn- in Indo-European Roots.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
igno·rant·ly adv.

OK, I guess the dictionary is wrong.

Revisionist liberals use ignorant for those conotations.

People who understand the English language use the term to mean "you have no clue what you are saying" or "your statement has no factual basis".....

i admit that it is not tireracks fault, and that it is indeed dunlops, but i need somone to vent my frustration over.

Then vent it over DUNLOP and NOT Tire Rack. How hard is it to put the blame where it belongs?

My car was without four tires less then 12 hours before my trip, i think you would be ****ed too.

Oh definitely. I've sent Tire Rack 3 sets of "bad" tires. It turned out that the first 2 sets were "bad", and the 3rd set of tires were "good" but my wheel(s) were bent (which only made the first 2 sets of "bad" tires worse). Tire Rack was good about picking them up and getting replacements to me.

Too start it all tirerack shipped two of my tires to my house, and two to another address nearly five miles away. I went to the house at 11 pm the night before the scheduled install to pick them up (expecting to be shot). That can be blamed on UPS but hey, tirerack puts its faith in UPS and Dunlop, so they are to blame also.
How is Tire Rack to blame for UPS and Dunlop screw-ups? I still don't understand?

I do understand it inconvenienced you and made life difficult, but that's the way it goes sometimes.....
Old 06-29-2001, 05:28 PM
kineshi1

wellll

well this is the thing, if they endorse crappy businesses such as dunlop and ups, there repution is held accountable..i dont care if five sets are duds and the sixth works, i want my first set to work and thus in the future i will work with a person at a shop thus ensuring i can get a new set of tires the next day, not a week later...

Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge

umm well being a med student and alreayd getting a 4 year i think excludes me from that category...u must have a lot of time too kill looking that up

Old 06-30-2001, 06:24 AM

I'm a supervisor at UPS. Chances are you had an ignorant package car driver or Tire Rack really did screw up. Most of the labels that we have are customer generated. Driver probably messed up though. 2 tires to one location and two more 5 miles away makes no sense...
Old 06-30-2001, 08:24 PM

Re: wellll

well this is the thing, if they endorse crappy businesses such as dunlop and ups, there repution is held accountable..i dont care if five sets are duds and the sixth works, i want my first set to work and thus in the future i will work with a person at a shop thus ensuring i can get a new set of tires the next day, not a week later...

If you absolutely needed tires quickly, Tire Rack is a bad place to begin with for reason that the supplier (in this case Dunlop) makes a bad batch of tires. Tire Rack depends on other businesses to help them deliver a product. Clearly Tire Rack "appears" at fault, but they cannot help incompetence/stupidity on the part of their supppliers. The only power they have is to discontinue the need for their services. Unfortunately, **** happens everyday.

Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge

umm well being a med student and alreayd getting a 4 year i think excludes me from that category...u must have a lot of time too kill looking that up

1) Went to dictionary.com
2) typed in "ignorant"
3) clicked
4) saw definition
5) copy and pasted contents into new reply
6) took maybe 30 seconds

I have a EE degree and 5 years experience in Embedded Systems Programming, primarily with Motorola processors. Yet I'm still ignorant about many things. Ignorant isn't a bad word, and few if any are excluded from it. Being in med school doesn't make you special or preclude you from being ignorant about stuff.